Thread: Digging It: The Official Minecraft Thread

Default Digging It: The Official Minecraft Thread

My son and I have been playing Minecraft together for the past 6 years, shortly after I gave up all first-person shooters after my youngest told her Primary class, in a lesson about why we shouldn't cuss, "The f-word is what Papi says when he plays Call of Duty." Not that I cared that people at church knew that I cussed, but that I thought that my kids couldn't hear me (they could) and I didn't want them to pick up my bad habits through my bad example.

While we started playing on the Playstation III together, a friend of mine had the PC version and introduced us to his Vanilla, Survival, Co-operative server that is kid-friendly and weekend-only. The weekend-only rule has been temporarily suspended until the coronavacation ends. Anyhow, if any of you play, or your kids play, and you want somewhere for them to play that you don't have to worry about who they're playing with, checkout pickaxe.club. If you want the server's ip, message me, and I'll send it to you.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Cool world although the Code of Conduct strikes me as a woke version of Cougarboard:

If you say something that is found offensive, and you are called out on it, let’s:

Listen without interruption.
    Believe what the person is saying & do not attempt to disqualify what they have to say.
    Ask for tips / help with avoiding making the offense in the future.
    Apologize and ask forgiveness.
    Gag

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    My son and I have been playing Minecraft together for the past 6 years, shortly after I gave up all first-person shooters after my youngest told her Primary class, in a lesson about why we shouldn't cuss, "The f-word is what Papi says when he plays Call of Duty." Not that I cared that people at church knew that I cussed, but that I thought that my kids couldn't hear me (they could) and I didn't want them to pick up my bad habits through my bad example.

While we started playing on the Playstation III together, a friend of mine had the PC version and introduced us to his Vanilla, Survival, Co-operative server that is kid-friendly and weekend-only. The weekend-only rule has been temporarily suspended until the coronavacation ends. Anyhow, if any of you play, or your kids play, and you want somewhere for them to play that you don't have to worry about who they're playing with, checkout pickaxe.club. If you want the server's ip, message me, and I'll send it to you.

My son saved up and bought it on nintendo Switch last fall, and has been playing it non-stop ever since. I've played with him a few times; it bores me to death, but he loves it. Can people play across different platforms, or is it platform specific?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post

My son saved up and bought it on nintendo Switch last fall, and has been playing it non-stop ever since. I've played with him a few times; it bores me to death, but he loves it. Can people play across different platforms, or is it platform specific?
    Yes and no. The Switch is supposed to be getting cross-platform capability on June 21st, but that's only on Bedrock Edition servers. Most servers are Java Edition (including mine) and won't work with his Switch, but he should eventually be able to find cross-platform servers if he sticks with playing on his Switch. If you ever decide to let him try the PC version, we're a good place for him to learn the differences in controls. If someone dies, everyone will rush to rescue all your stuff so it doesn't despawn (provided the person knows where they were when they died---it is a massive world).
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Free Minecraft education stuff for kids. https://news.microsoft.com/en-gb/202...-for-children/

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Free Minecraft education stuff for kids. https://news.microsoft.com/en-gb/202...-for-children/
    Thanks for sharing. Those are cool. I showed my kids this and they were excited to explore. Apparently our Switch/Nintendo account has problems communicating with the required Microsoft account, and it causes all sorts of mayhem (a quick google search shows this is not an uncommon problem, though there is no hard-and-fast way to remedy it, as best I can tell). Even though we were already logged in with a microsoft account, it made us log in with a new account to explore these educational realms. Once we got in, it would only let one player explore. It kept telling us we couldn't play more than one player without a switch account (we have one). I tinkered around and couldn't solve the issue, so the exploration didn't last long.

When they were done, my son tried to log back into his other account and has been stonewalled. He is currently apoplectic at the thought of having lost everything he's built. Yay technology.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Those are cool. I showed my kids this and they were excited to explore. Apparently our Switch/Nintendo account has problems communicating with the required Microsoft account, and it causes all sorts of mayhem (a quick google search shows this is not an uncommon problem, though there is no hard-and-fast way to remedy it, as best I can tell). Even though we were already logged in with a microsoft account, it made us log in with a new account to explore these educational realms. Once we got in, it would only let one player explore. It kept telling us we couldn't play more than one player without a switch account (we have one). I tinkered around and couldn't solve the issue, so the exploration didn't last long.

When they were done, my son tried to log back into his other account and has been stonewalled. He is currently apoplectic at the thought of having lost everything he's built. Yay technology.
    My son got money from his grandparents to use with FortNight. He bought all these upgrades, and then suddenly, one day, he got banned for cheating. He doesn't know how to cheat. They would not unlock his account. The second time it happened, with another $50 sunk into his new account, I banned FortNight in our home. I also banned spending money on in-game purchases, except in Roblox. Minecraft, thankfully, is awesome and doesn't ask for more. You can spend money in console games, but on the PC, you get the whole thing for free. They allow modded skins from outside sources. I am a lion in-game, and my city is called Simbaville (all three kids were in that play in lead roles at the time; they chose the skin and names). I got the skin from a website that didn't charge for skins. It's pretty good. I made a large platform by my city to look like my in-game face (so did my friend): http://www.pickaxe.club/#overworld/0/13/1368/-6171/64

I hope he gets back into his account. I apologize that this inadvertently caused him stress. If you decide to buy him the PC version, and he can play on our server, his stuff won't get deleted, and even if he got locked out of his account forever, if he gets a new one, he could just come back on the server and have everything still the same, other than the contents of his ender chest, which are tied to the individual.