Earthquake in Utah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! That is a big one.

I told my son and without missing a beat he looked at me and in all seriousness said, "Did it hit Boise Stadium?"

Love that kid.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Wow! That is a big one.

I told my son and without missing a beat he looked at me and in all seriousness said, "Did it hit Boise Stadium?"
      Truly pure in heart.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
        You Boise guys OK? My sister called (Boise) and said it lasted a looong time.
        It did last quite a while but didn't seem particularly strong here. We're all fine.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          It did last quite a while but didn't seem particularly strong here. We're all fine.
          Any news on the football stadium? Asking for a ... uh ... guy I know.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Any news on the football stadium? Asking for a ... uh ... guy I know.
            There will be a Cougar victory there later this year.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

There will be a Cougar victory there later this year.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Any time there's an earthquake and you have time to recognized that it's an earthquake and it's still going on, it's a long one. This one kept going for about 20 seconds. I was having dinner with my wife at the time. She was wondering if we should get under something, but I just wanted to observe it. I commented right then that it had to be over 5.0. We hurried and turned on the local news to find out how strong it was. They were just barely getting in the information, but within about ten minutes could tell us where the epicenter was (up by Yellow Pine) and how strong it was (6.5). I felt one minor aftershock. It would be cool if there were a few more.

Somehow we thought there weren't earthquakes in Idaho - or any other big natural disasters besides forest fires. Looks like we were wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                  Any time there's an earthquake and you have time to recognized that it's an earthquake and it's still going on, it's a long one. This one kept going for about 20 seconds. I was having dinner with my wife at the time. She was wondering if we should get under something, but I just wanted to observe it. I commented right then that it had to be over 5.0. We hurried and turned on the local news to find out how strong it was. They were just barely getting in the information, but within about ten minutes could tell us where the epicenter was (up by Yellow Pine) and how strong it was (6.5). I felt one minor aftershock. It would be cool if there were a few more.

Somehow we thought there weren't earthquakes in Idaho - or any other big natural disasters besides forest fires. Looks like we were wrong.
                  There's no way you could know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                    I've been in lots of earthquakes in Central America and quite a few in California too. There is a difference in how a strong one feels than a wimpy one like the 3.2 that Utah had recently. The smaller ones don't last as long. Usually by the time you realized that it's an earthquake, it's over.

But I would be happy to never experience another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                      Idaho earthquakes happen, just not very frequently. Last time I remember an earthquake here was in the 1980s.

I also experienced a few earthquakes while on my mission in Argentina. This one felt a lot longer than any of those.
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I was in a 6.2 one once. No, gracias. I couldn't get to my feet without my legs feeling like I was walking on Jello, and I have a distinct memory of the powers lines making this "wwooooowitchuck" snapping noise as they swayed back and forth.
                        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Comment

Idaho earthquakes happen, just not very frequently. Last time I remember an earthquake here was in the 1980s.

I also experienced a few earthquakes while on my mission in Argentina. This one felt a lot longer than any of those.
                            Yes, I also survived the 1983 earthquake in Idaho.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                            X