Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now that you're stuck at home on quarantine, what are you doing with your time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    My wife's favorite sewing/quilting equipment store invited customers to start making masks for Kaiser Permanente health workers, and provided patterns and instructions on the type of material to use. The masks are three-ply, with alternating fabrics. Obviously, they aren't ideal but Kaiser and others say these are much better than nothing, which is where they soon will be. So this is in Mrs. PAC's wheelhouse and she's cranking them out. She had lots of Golden State Warrior logo fabric left over from quilts she made for friends, so a few Kaiser nurses will be rocking the Warriors. Mock if you must, but I think it's great she can at least do something.

The only helpful thing I'm doing is doing platelet donations which, unlike whole blood, one can to as often as weekly (I'm not quite that diligent). It takes a couple of hours but the recliners are comfy with good video options and lots of cookies.

Otherwise, some work for clients, and bingeing Homeland.
    I've donated platelets for years. Literally gallons. Enough that i'm considered an organ donor on the Organ Donor memorial wall near the SLC Library. I had to take a hiatus for a few years when a false positive test for HIV came back after a whole blood donation. I had to go through the FDA process of getting recertified with a stringent retest protocol.

I have been trying to get away to donate the last month, but haven't been able to find the time. I think next week I will go in on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      Nevada courses allowed to stay open as long as they close the clubhouse and implement sanitary/social distancing measures. Most courses in LV that are staying open are only allowing one person per cart and are charging an extra $20 cart cleaning fee to limit the number of carts they clean and encourage walking. Not many walkable courses in LV, but I played one of them this morning with my son. It was beautiful. I forgot how tiring it is to pack your clubs for 18 holes. I may have to invest in a push cart if this lasts much longer.
      If it lasts much longer, you might not need a ride cart after all.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        Took the kids hiking today.

Had to drive a whole 1/2 mile.
        Hey, isn't that the place they filmed Tremors?
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Nevada courses allowed to stay open as long as they close the clubhouse and implement sanitary/social distancing measures. Most courses in LV that are staying open are only allowing one person per cart and are charging an extra $20 cart cleaning fee to limit the number of carts they clean and encourage walking. Not many walkable courses in LV, but I played one of them this morning with my son. It was beautiful. I forgot how tiring it is to pack your clubs for 18 holes. I may have to invest in a push cart if this lasts much longer.
          Originally posted by falafel View Post
          If it lasts much longer, you might not need a ride cart after all.
          push cart mafia
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
            We took a nice family drive through Texas hill country and did the the one thing that every Texas family does in March: family pics in a blue bonnet field
            Nice.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Hey, isn't that the place they filmed Tremors?
              Really close. It was all filmed about 45 minutes from my house.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                Really close. It was all filmed about 45 minutes from my house.
                Ha! I was making a joke. So I guess you live in Bixby?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Ha! I was making a joke. So I guess you live in Bixby?
                  Pretty much. We have been up too the filming locations. It is fun. It was also Afghanistan in the first Ironman.

Comment

There are plenty of these clips and memes floating around, but I love this rendition of Nessun Dorma from a Florentine balcony by a very good tenor. I couldn't cull a video link but you'll find the video on the web page. The final 40 seconds are spine-tingling, especially considering the circumstances, the little boy that runs to his father at the end, and the lyrics:

Vanish, o night!
                    Set, stars! Set, stars!
                    At dawn, I will win!
                    I will win!
                    I will win!

Comment

It’s 9pm. Traffic on I-10 West out of Houston is a parking lot. I’m waiting for a herd of zombies to appear. I just hope they’re slow zombies. WW Z or I Am Legend zombies means the game over for ol GM.
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Davis and Valley View reopen tomorrow. Got an afternoon tee time at Davis, even though it will be a high of 50 and a chance of rain. I need a respite badly, I won’t care if I shoot 100.

Comment

I mentioned the masks Mrs. PAC and many more in this area (and presumably many others throughout the country) are sewing for health care providers. I thought it was a nice if ineffective way to help, but now multiple hospitals in the area are requesting as many of them as possible because they've discovered that using them over N95 masks substantially increases the useful life of the N95. So she's doing her best to crank them out. I'm doing my part as well, providing inspiration and encouragement.

Comment

I'm using my time to learn more about the Corona Virus.

Trevor Noah had a good interview with Dr. Anthony Fauci.

Bill Gates had a good interview on Ted about what to do next. And his talk from five years ago warning us that this could happen is also quite informative.

And I did a little more to prepare my garden for springtime.

Comment

Going on walks, sometimes hauling the camera along.

Comment

I still have to go into work, being essential and all. I rode my bike today for the first time this year. It was really nice having very little traffic to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                                X