Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now that you're stuck at home on quarantine, what are you doing with your time?

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Nice. What was your take?
    I stopped at the gas station on the way home and made them buy me a soda.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

My town has been overrun with dirtbags. Lots of climbers are using this as excuse to come hang out.

89974869_210611143622470_5488259865396641792_n.jpg

http://www.thundercling.com/2020/03/...t-of-covid-19/

Now with all this time at home we can go back and watch the entire NFL season... https://gamepass.nfl.com/packages

Free until May 31st! Of course, I already know how it ends.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I'm hiking, reading, and reviewing quality content my kids send me, knowing my level of humor is embarrassingly low. This is right out of The Naked Gun, but it's apparently real:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B96yGCnJdb2/

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

We went mountain biking on Antelope Island this morning.

There were a lot of cars in the parking lot of the trailhead, and a bunch of trail runners. I guess a 50k race was scheduled for today that was cancelled, but the runners showed up and ran anyways.

But the biggest surprise was when we left the park at 11:30. The parking lot was completely full, and there was a line of cars literally a half a mile long waiting to get in the park. I guess people are looking for ways to get out, and figured Antelope Island would be somewhere they could do that in open spaces and keep their distance from others.

Tomorrow is the last day to golf on Salt Lake City and Davis county courses for a while.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 03-22-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Rode my bike today. Got passed both ways by a girl. PAC, was your wife out on the North end of Utah County today?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Tomorrow is the last day to golf on Salt Lake City and Davis county courses flow a while.
    Nevada courses allowed to stay open as long as they close the clubhouse and implement sanitary/social distancing measures. Most courses in LV that are staying open are only allowing one person per cart and are charging an extra $20 cart cleaning fee to limit the number of carts they clean and encourage walking. Not many walkable courses in LV, but I played one of them this morning with my son. It was beautiful. I forgot how tiring it is to pack your clubs for 18 holes. I may have to invest in a push cart if this lasts much longer.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

We had a campfire in the back yard tonight. It was nice.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

We took a nice family drive through Texas hill country and did the the one thing that every Texas family does in March: family pics in a blue bonnet field

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

I'm getting a lot of maintenance done on my motorcycles and bicycles. Yard work too.

Still managed to go out riding yesterday to a place that was probably too rough for the size bike I was riding: https://i.imgur.com/SXhl8Qi.jpg

Took the kids hiking today.

Had to drive a whole 1/2 mile.

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    We had a campfire in the back yard tonight. It was nice.
    I was planning to do that with the old raspberry shoots that we cut down earlier in the day. Guess it will have to wait for tomorrow.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    I'm getting a lot of maintenance done on my motorcycles and bicycles. Yard work too.

Still managed to go out riding yesterday to a place that was probably too rough for the size bike I was riding: https://i.imgur.com/SXhl8Qi.jpg
    Nice!

My wife's favorite sewing/quilting equipment store invited customers to start making masks for Kaiser Permanente health workers, and provided patterns and instructions on the type of material to use. The masks are three-ply, with alternating fabrics. Obviously, they aren't ideal but Kaiser and others say these are much better than nothing, which is where they soon will be. So this is in Mrs. PAC's wheelhouse and she's cranking them out. She had lots of Golden State Warrior logo fabric left over from quilts she made for friends, so a few Kaiser nurses will be rocking the Warriors. Mock if you must, but I think it's great she can at least do something.

The only helpful thing I'm doing is doing platelet donations which, unlike whole blood, one can to as often as weekly (I'm not quite that diligent). It takes a couple of hours but the recliners are comfy with good video options and lots of cookies.

Otherwise, some work for clients, and bingeing Homeland.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    My wife's favorite sewing/quilting equipment store invited customers to start making masks for Kaiser Permanente health workers, and provided patterns and instructions on the type of material to use. The masks are three-ply, with alternating fabrics. Obviously, they aren't ideal but Kaiser and others say these are much better than nothing, which is where they soon will be. So this is in Mrs. PAC's wheelhouse and she's cranking them out. She had lots of Golden State Warrior logo fabric left over from quilts she made for friends, so a few Kaiser nurses will be rocking the Warriors. Mock if you must, but I think it's great she can at least do something.

The only helpful thing I'm doing is doing platelet donations which, unlike whole blood, one can to as often as weekly (I'm not quite that diligent). It takes a couple of hours but the recliners are comfy with good video options and lots of cookies.

Otherwise, some work for clients, and bingeing Homeland.
    I've donated platelets for years. Literally gallons. Enough that i'm considered an organ donor on the Organ Donor memorial wall near the SLC Library. I had to take a hiatus for a few years when a false positive test for HIV came back after a whole blood donation. I had to go through the FDA process of getting recertified with a stringent retest protocol.

I have been trying to get away to donate the last month, but haven't been able to find the time. I think next week I will go in on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Nevada courses allowed to stay open as long as they close the clubhouse and implement sanitary/social distancing measures. Most courses in LV that are staying open are only allowing one person per cart and are charging an extra $20 cart cleaning fee to limit the number of carts they clean and encourage walking. Not many walkable courses in LV, but I played one of them this morning with my son. It was beautiful. I forgot how tiring it is to pack your clubs for 18 holes. I may have to invest in a push cart if this lasts much longer.
    If it lasts much longer, you might not need a ride cart after all.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Took the kids hiking today.

Had to drive a whole 1/2 mile.
    Hey, isn't that the place they filmed Tremors?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

If it lasts much longer, you might not need a ride cart after all.
    push cart mafia
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    We took a nice family drive through Texas hill country and did the the one thing that every Texas family does in March: family pics in a blue bonnet field
    Nice.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Hey, isn't that the place they filmed Tremors?
    Really close. It was all filmed about 45 minutes from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Really close. It was all filmed about 45 minutes from my house.
    Ha! I was making a joke. So I guess you live in Bixby?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Ha! I was making a joke. So I guess you live in Bixby?
    Pretty much. We have been up too the filming locations. It is fun. It was also Afghanistan in the first Ironman.

There are plenty of these clips and memes floating around, but I love this rendition of Nessun Dorma from a Florentine balcony by a very good tenor. I couldn't cull a video link but you'll find the video on the web page. The final 40 seconds are spine-tingling, especially considering the circumstances, the little boy that runs to his father at the end, and the lyrics:

Vanish, o night!
    Set, stars! Set, stars!
    At dawn, I will win!
    I will win!
    I will win!

It’s 9pm. Traffic on I-10 West out of Houston is a parking lot. I’m waiting for a herd of zombies to appear. I just hope they’re slow zombies. WW Z or I Am Legend zombies means the game over for ol GM.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Davis and Valley View reopen tomorrow. Got an afternoon tee time at Davis, even though it will be a high of 50 and a chance of rain. I need a respite badly, I won’t care if I shoot 100.

I mentioned the masks Mrs. PAC and many more in this area (and presumably many others throughout the country) are sewing for health care providers. I thought it was a nice if ineffective way to help, but now multiple hospitals in the area are requesting as many of them as possible because they've discovered that using them over N95 masks substantially increases the useful life of the N95. So she's doing her best to crank them out. I'm doing my part as well, providing inspiration and encouragement.

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

I'm using my time to learn more about the Corona Virus.

Trevor Noah had a good interview with Dr. Anthony Fauci.

Bill Gates had a good interview on Ted about what to do next. And his talk from five years ago warning us that this could happen is also quite informative.

And I did a little more to prepare my garden for springtime.

Social Distance Warrior swampfrog's Avatar

Going on walks, sometimes hauling the camera along.

I still have to go into work, being essential and all. I rode my bike today for the first time this year. It was really nice having very little traffic to deal with.