Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
    my favorite part. oh well. to each his own
    That may be my favorite part of the song too. It definitely goes down hill from there.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      My wife got me Hamilton tickets for my birthday this year and we went on Saturday. The man has been my 2nd favorite father for as long as I can remember caring about such things, so I have been wanting to see the show ever since it came out. We have purposely avoided listening to the music, wanting to experience it for the first time performed live. The show was pretty incredible and I think it deserves all the praise it gets (but isn't worth the secondary market price on most days). The Hamilton that replaced Lin-Manuel Miranda is much more talented performer/singer than him based on my listen of the original cast recording in the last couple days. Also, Lafayette/Jefferson is currently played by James Iglehart who won a Tony for playing the Genie in Aladdin. The guy is amazing and makes every song he performs sound like it was written specifically for him. My favorite parts were the cabinet meeting rap battles, the King George songs, and It's Quiet Uptown, during which I sobbed like a teenage girl.

Speaking of teenage girls, the only part of the show I disliked was the teens who were attending the show and singing along with all the songs. Most were fairly restrained, but we had to politely shush a couple sitting near us.
      Sounds awesome but I would think a person would enjoy the play and songs more by familiarizing himself with the songs in advance. Maybe that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        Sounds awesome but I would think a person would enjoy the play and songs more by familiarizing himself with the songs in advance. Maybe that's just me.
        Unless you are intimately familiar with the Hamilton biography.
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          Originally posted by Topper View Post
          Unless you are intimately familiar with the Hamilton biography.
          Topper is right (yeah I typed it!). I'm pretty familiar with Hamilton's life so I was confident I wouldn't be lost and I was right. There are hilarious one-off lines in the songs that made me laugh out loud but aren't as funny if you don't have the historical context (like when Lee gets promoted and yells "I'm a general! Wheeeee!"). Even my wife, who only knows as much about Hamilton as she has been forced to listen to me drone on about how great he is, did fine and said she was glad she got to hear it live first. She said there were very few parts where she had trouble following the dialogue and story.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            The Hamilton soundtrack is phenomenal!
            False.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
              False.
              You are false.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                You are false.
                Type mismatch in expression
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

I just found out I have to go to this thing in Portland next spring.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    I just found out I have to go to this thing in Portland next spring.
                    You should just move here... big city and all.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                      You should just move here... big city and all.
                      Other than Nike what is there to recommend Portland? Yes I know Nike is north of Portland.

What are the most positive attributes and most negative? Is public transportation viable there?
                      Last edited by Topper; 07-06-2017, 09:03 AM.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                        Other than Nike what is there to recommend Portland? Yes I know Nike is north of Portland.

What are the most positive attributes and most negative? Is public transportation viable there?
                        North of Portland is a river. Nike is west of Portland. Intel is also west of Portland.

I'm across the Columbia river in what would officially be a suburb of Portland if there wasn't a river that is also a state line separating the two. I don't venture into Portland very often, it doesn't offer much of interest to me. I'm a suburbanite. I do like having access to the big city (zoo, OMSI, concerts, plays, etc.).

Obviously the majority of the population leans liberal, but any large city is going to offer communities where just about anyone will feel comfortable (with exceptions). Portland is about as diverse as any. There is a bus system and a few light rail options. Positive and negative is going to depend on what your interests are. If you like to watch or interact with tatted and pierced hipsters sporting the latest trends in clothing and facial hair, downtown Portland is for you.

What I appreciate about the greater Portland area is where you can get from here relatively quickly (within 2-3 hour drive). Oregon/Washington coast beaches to the west. Mount Hood to the east. Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area also to the east. Puget Sound to the north. Lakes, rivers, forests (rain forest), farmland, desert, mountains, recently active volcano, and many other varied geographical features are all relatively close. Hiking, camping, river-rafting, skiing/snowboarding, surfing, water-skiing, kite boarding, paddle boarding, surf boarding, birding, wildlife watching, etc. For a guy with a camera, it offers all kinds of opportunities.

However, it rains all of the time which will make you depressed, so don't move here.

Comment

People in Portland drive very slowly on the interstate. They actually believe the speed limit signs.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            People in Portland drive very slowly on the interstate. They actually believe the speed limit signs.
                            I'm a little surprised by this comment. Mostly because people keep referring to a Hamilton soundtrack in this thread and I thought you would feel compelled to correct them.
                            Last edited by pelagius; 07-06-2017, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                              I'm a little surprised by the comment. Mostly because people keep referring to a Hamilton soundtrack in this thread and I thought you would feel compelled to correct them.
                              You have confused me with Donut hole, perhaps. I rarely nit pick and am a gentle and easy going person who lets all things pass with ease. Besides, how can I help it if there is no sound track to a play, if the music is not really very good but is only popular because it lowers quality to appeal to the masses, and if even those among us here are willing to pay ridiculous sums of money to see this ... musical? I thought it was ok but am not sure why it is so wildly popular. Moreover, people in Portland really do abide by the speed limits. It drives me nuts when I am up there.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                New Yorkers do the same. And cops give the most costly tickets in New York. It is maddening. There is a stretch of road from Binghamton to NYC where the speed limit varies up and down every couple of miles, loading the highway with speed traps.

Comment

Working...
                                X