Hamilton Bio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamilton Bio

Anyone here read the Alexander Hamilton bio by Chernow?

http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Hami...58/ref=ed_oe_p

Worth the effort?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Anyone here read the Alexander Hamilton bio by Chernow?

http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Hami...58/ref=ed_oe_p

Worth the effort?
    ABsolutely. I loved the book. I very much enjoyed this one.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I agree, very good book. Chernow also wrote a very nice bio of Rockefeller called Titan.
      There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
      Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
      And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

I'm just starting the book and I can tell I'm going to like it. Coincidentally, I just got tickets to see the musical Hamilton (which the author claims was inspired by Chernow's book) when we're in NYC in December. It's getting buzz and ticket sales similar to The BoM, but I'm prepared to hate it. I'm not sure hip hop and the Federalist Papers were meant for each other.

P.S. It makes me sad this post follows a landpoke offering.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          I'm just starting the book and I can tell I'm going to like it. Coincidentally, I just got tickets to see the musical Hamilton (which the author claims was inspired by Chernow's book) when we're in NYC in December. It's getting buzz and ticket sales similar to The BoM, but I'm prepared to hate it. I'm not sure hip hop and the Federalist Papers were meant for each other.

Hey, I forgot about this thread. I read the bio and loved it. One of my all-time favorite books. Hamilton was a genius.

Curse that stupid wanker, Aaron Burr.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Hey, I forgot about this thread. I read the bio and loved it. One of my all-time favorite books. Hamilton was a genius.

Curse that stupid wanker, Aaron Burr.
            Hey, I just started this book and so far it's fantastic. I'm about 1/4 of the way into it. I did take a short break to blow through that "So You've Been Publicly Shamed" book you mentioned elsewhere. Just finished that one tonight (great recommendation). So I'll be back with Alex tomorrow.

Comment

saw it a couple weeks ago and loved it
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I finished this recently, loved it, and I continue to reflect on the book and the man. Among the many thoughts and reactions I've had (none profound or original, I acknowledge):

--Taking Hamilton off the Ten instead of Jackson off the Twenty is absurdly inappropriate. Hamilton probably did more for this country than any non-President, and most Presidents for that matter. Jackson's legacy doesn't come close to Hamilton's accomplishments.

--How could such a brilliant, responsible man (he arranged his affairs prior to his duel with Burr so that all of his clients' matters weren't jeopardized) participate in such a stupid "matter of honor," knowing that he would be leaving a wife and children whom he adored potentially destitute?

--I can't think of anyone in American history that started from such humble beginnings and went on to accomplish so much. And by accomplishments I'm not referring to the accumulation of wealth but to accomplishments that had a beneficial effect on others.

--It's always interesting how even the most brilliant people do some really stupid things occasionally (Hamilton engaged in the first sex scandal in U.S. political history)

--Eliza Hamilton was an outstanding woman who deserves a greater legacy than history affords her--I enjoyed her put-down former President James Monroe

Comment

I finished this recently, loved it, and I continue to reflect on the book and the man. Among the many thoughts and reactions I've had (none profound or original, I acknowledge):

--Taking Hamilton off the Ten instead of Jackson off the Twenty is absurdly inappropriate. Hamilton probably did more for this country than any non-President, and most Presidents for that matter. Jackson's legacy doesn't come close to Hamilton's accomplishments.

--How could such a brilliant, responsible man (he arranged his affairs prior to his duel with Burr so that all of his clients' matters weren't jeopardized) participate in such a stupid "matter of honor," knowing that he would be leaving a wife and children whom he adored potentially destitute?

--I can't think of anyone in American history that started from such humble beginnings and went on to accomplish so much. And by accomplishments I'm not referring to the accumulation of wealth but to accomplishments that had a beneficial effect on others.

--It's always interesting how even the most brilliant people do some really stupid things occasionally (Hamilton engaged in the first sex scandal in U.S. political history)

--Eliza Hamilton was an outstanding woman who deserves a greater legacy than history affords her--I enjoyed her put-down former President James Monroe

Have you seen the play yet? Anxious to hear your review. I am listening to the soundtrack right now on Spotify.

Remind me of what Eliza said to James Monroe.

Comment

When we were in NY in August I really wanted to see the show, but the rest of my family was not as enthusiastic, so we stuck with Matilda and Les Miz.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                      When we were in NY in August I really wanted to see the show, but the rest of my family was not as enthusiastic, so we stuck with Matilda and Les Miz.
                      How did you like Matilda?

Comment

How did you like Matilda?
                        Actually really liked it a lot. We didn't know all that much about it, and went for the kids, but both my wife and I thought it was a great show. One of the best I've seen. The kids, from ages 10 to 20, also loved it.

Comment

Actually really liked it a lot. We didn't know all that much about it, and went for the kids, but both my wife and I thought it was a great show. One of the best I've seen. The kids, from ages 10 to 20, also loved it.
                          The wife and I loved it. That opening number right after the intermission by Matilda's father had us laughing so hard I thought we would pass out.

Comment

Have you seen the play yet? Anxious to hear your review. I am listening to the soundtrack right now on Spotify.

Remind me of what Eliza said to James Monroe.
                            We're going to spend the week before Christmas week in NYC and we'll see it then, among other fun stuff. Here's the section about the Eliza/Monroe confrontation in her home:

You’ll recall it was Monroe who, long before his presidency, had leaked very damaging information about Hamilton (some true, much of it not). The extent of Monroe’s calumnies (great word, btw, used a lot by gentlemen of that era when rebuking others) didn’t come to light until after Hamilton’s death. Many years later, and after his presidency, Monroe paid a visit to Eliza who had become revered for her life’s work and for having been among the Founding Fathers. From the book (page 728):

With a bow, Monroe began what sounded like a well-rehearsed speech, stating “that it was many years since they had met, that the lapse of time brought its softening influences, that they both were nearing the grave, when past differences could be forgiven and forgotten.”

Eliza saw that Monroe was trying to draw a moral equation between them and apportion blame equally for the long rupture in their relationship. Even at this late date, thirty years after the fact, she was not in a forgiving mood. “Mr. Monroe,” she told him, if you have come to tell me that you repent, that you are sorry, very sorry, for the misrepresentations and the slanders and the stories you circulated against my dear husband, if you have come to say this, I understand it. But otherwise, no lapse of time, no nearness to the grave, makes any difference.” Monroe took in this rebuke without comment. Stunned by the fiery words delivered by the elderly little woman in widow’s weeds, the ex-president picked up his hat, bid Eliza good day, and left the house, never to return.

After I read it, it occurred to me the same exchange would occur if Obama visits IPU or '71 long after his presidency; substitute "Mitt" for "husband", and I think it's pretty close.

Comment

yeah, we liked it too. tim minchin did a great job.
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                              X