No announcement yet.

Hamilton Bio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone interested in Hamilton or Hamilton (the person or the musical) should tune into PBS's Hamilton's America. It aired Friday evening but there are a few repeat showings coming (including one late tonight, I believe). It's a 90-minute program that details Hamilton's life as well as the writing of the musical. Ron Chernow (author of the biography) comments throughout, as do many others including Obama, Bush, Ryan, Warren, Paulsen, etc.). Lots of scenes from the musical as well. It's very well done and if you have any interest in either the man or the musical, you really need to watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      Anyone interested in Hamilton or Hamilton (the person or the musical) should tune into PBS's Hamilton's America. It aired Friday evening but there are a few repeat showings coming (including one late tonight, I believe). It's a 90-minute program that details Hamilton's life as well as the writing of the musical. Ron Chernow (author of the biography) comments throughout, as do many others including Obama, Bush, Ryan, Warren, Paulsen, etc.). Lots of scenes from the musical as well. It's very well done and if you have any interest in either the man or the musical, you really need to watch it.
      We just finished watching it. Very well done.

Those guys have got to be pretty close to my age, having also been raised in the golden era of hip hop of the late 80s and early 90s. We've been listening to the soundtrack for several months now, and it was actually playing on loop in my car for the 2.5 hour drive home from the temple Saturday afternoon. Seeing the special and a number of the scenes made me and the kids really want to see the play now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Enjoy.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Enjoy.
          That was very clever, and fun to watch. I also liked the video that followed, featuring the full Hamilton case. Still gives me chills.

Comment

My wife got me Hamilton tickets for my birthday this year and we went on Saturday. The man has been my 2nd favorite father for as long as I can remember caring about such things, so I have been wanting to see the show ever since it came out. We have purposely avoided listening to the music, wanting to experience it for the first time performed live. The show was pretty incredible and I think it deserves all the praise it gets (but isn't worth the secondary market price on most days). The Hamilton that replaced Lin-Manuel Miranda is much more talented performer/singer than him based on my listen of the original cast recording in the last couple days. Also, Lafayette/Jefferson is currently played by James Iglehart who won a Tony for playing the Genie in Aladdin. The guy is amazing and makes every song he performs sound like it was written specifically for him. My favorite parts were the cabinet meeting rap battles, the King George songs, and It's Quiet Uptown, during which I sobbed like a teenage girl.

Speaking of teenage girls, the only part of the show I disliked was the teens who were attending the show and singing along with all the songs. Most were fairly restrained, but we had to politely shush a couple sitting near us.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
              My wife got me Hamilton tickets for my birthday this year and we went on Saturday. The man has been my 2nd favorite father for as long as I can remember caring about such things, so I have been wanting to see the show ever since it came out. We have purposely avoided listening to the music, wanting to experience it for the first time performed live. The show was pretty incredible and I think it deserves all the praise it gets (but isn't worth the secondary market price on most days). The Hamilton that replaced Lin-Manuel Miranda is much more talented performer/singer than him based on my listen of the original cast recording in the last couple days. Also, Lafayette/Jefferson is currently played by James Iglehart who won a Tony for playing the Genie in Aladdin. The guy is amazing and makes every song he performs sound like it was written specifically for him. My favorite parts were the cabinet meeting rap battles, the King George songs, and It's Quiet Uptown, during which I sobbed like a teenage girl.

Speaking of teenage girls, the only part of the show I disliked was the teens who were attending the show and singing along with all the songs. Most were fairly restrained, but we had to politely shush a couple sitting near us.
              Interesting. I bought the soundtrack, and I'm not a huge fan. I almost turned it off twice: 1. Early on when Lafayette and others are introduced and they start with a "Yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo!" and then when Lafayette does his rap solo during Guns and Ships. But, I'm willing to admit that listening to the music only doesn't fully do justice to the overall production.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                Interesting. I bought the soundtrack, and I'm not a huge fan. I almost turned it off twice: 1. Early on when Lafayette and others are introduced and they start with a "Yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo!" and then when Lafayette does his rap solo during Guns and Ships. But, I'm willing to admit that listening to the music only doesn't fully do justice to the overall production.
                I don't like the hip hop, in no small part because I have difficulty understand the story as told that way. It seems like a very uneven production though I have not seen it.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Interesting. I bought the soundtrack, and I'm not a huge fan. I almost turned it off twice
                  Haha. Don't ever change, GM.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Haha. Don't ever change, GM.
                    I'm not sure what you're inferring, but rest assured, change does not come easy for the Monstah clan!

Sidenote: I actually started Chernow's book via audible over the weekend. So far, it's been fantastic.
                    Last edited by Green Monstah; 07-05-2017, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                      I don't like the hip hop, in no small part because I have difficulty understand the story as told that way. It seems like a very uneven production though I have not seen it.
                      I will say that I now fully advocate executive cabinet meetings taking the form of rap battles.

Comment

I'm not sure what you're inferring, but rest assured, change does not come easy for the Monstah clan!
                        I am talking about your tendency to be an iconoclast. The Hamilton soundtrack is phenomenal!

Comment

I am talking about your tendency to be an iconoclast. The Hamilton soundtrack is phenomenal!
                          Yeah, I suppose that's true.

When something gets hyped, I typically look for the "what's wrong" as opposed to enjoying the ride. But can you really call a soundtrack phenomenal when it includes songs like the Schuyler Sisters???!!!

Comment

guns and ships is like my favorite song.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                              guns and ships is like my favorite song.
                              Everyone give it up for America's fighting Frenchmaaaaaaaaaaaan!

So bad. I'm sorry.

Comment

Everyone give it up for America's fighting Frenchmaaaaaaaaaaaan!

So bad. I'm sorry.
                                my favorite part. oh well. to each his own

Top songs for me:
                                My Shot
                                Guns and Ships
                                Yorktown
                                Wait for it
                                Non-stop
                                Election of 1800

Comment

Working...
                                X