Hamilton Bio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creekster View Post
    You have confused me with Donut hole, perhaps. I rarely nit pick and am a gentle and easy going person who lets all things pass with ease. Besides, how can I help it if there is no sound track to a play, if the music is not really very good but is only popular because it lowers quality to appeal to the masses, and if even those among us here are willing to pay ridiculous sums of money to see this ... musical? I thought it was ok but am not sure why it is so wildly popular. Moreover, people in Portland really do abide by the speed limits. It drives me nuts when I am up there.
    I think I probably liked it more than you, but my reaction was somewhat similar. I genuinely liked and enjoyed seeing it. The cost was worth it because I took one of my daughters who was excited beyond words (I know that's a Hamilton fan trope ... although she is more of a musical theater fan than a narrow Hamilton fan ... the cast recording of choice at my house has been Dear Evan Hansen for a while). But without my daughter it wouldn't have been close to worth it.
    Last edited by pelagius; 07-06-2017, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
      I think I probably liked it more than you, but my reaction was somewhat similar. I genuinely liked and enjoyed seeing it. The cost was worth it because I took one of my daughters who was excited beyond words (I now that's a Hamilton trope ... although she is more of a musical theater fan than a narrow Hamilton fan ... the cast recording of choice at my house has be Dear Evan Hansen for a while). But without my daughter it wouldn't have been close to worth it.
      The songs are being played in my house now and I am wondering what the fuss is about. I told my wife, if we could win the lottery for the $10 tickets it might be worth it. $1000 tickets, no thank you.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
        The songs are being played in my house now and I am wondering what the fuss is about. I told my wife, if we could win the lottery for the $10 tickets it might be worth it. $1000 tickets, no thank you.
        They don't cost near that much anymore. Look, it's an important cultural moment of the 21st century. In a similar way that the Harry Potter books were. The Hamilton phenomenon is a narrower province of the upper middle class and above, but it is culturally important. Is being part of that cultural moment worth $300-$400? It was for me given my daughters (of course, I read the whole Harry Potter series for similar reasons).

Comment

They don't cost near that much anymore. Look, it's an important cultural moment of the 21st century. In a similar way that the Harry Potter books were. The Hamilton phenomenon is a narrower province of the upper middle class and above, but it is culturally important. Is being part of that cultural moment worth $300-$400? It was for me given my daughters (of course, I read the whole Harry Potter series for similar reasons).
          You make a legitimate point, as always. My nephew bought two tickets at Xmas time for $1000 a piece, so I assumed that was the going rate. $300 is a bit pricey for me, but I can understand why for people like creekster it would be no big deal.

I read the Potter books to understand what my children were reading.
          Last edited by Topper; 07-06-2017, 12:46 PM.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

You guys are funny.

We have not seen it yet. Waiting for it to come to SLC next march.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I only read the first potter book and part of the rest, once in a while, out loud to my daughter. But she could stand ot wait for the next reading so ended up finishing the rest of each one herself. I was not sad.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I'm a little surprised by this comment. Mostly because people keep referring to a Hamilton soundtrack in this thread and I thought you would feel compelled to correct them.
                I referred to it as the original cast recording.

I obviously disagree with you and Creekster. I think the songs are pretty amazing. But I will say the live performance is a million times more impressive than the cast recording, especially with the current cast.

Comment

You make a legitimate point, as always. My nephew bought two tickets at Xmas time for $1000 a piece, so I assumed that was the going rate. $300 is a bit pricey for me, but I can understand why for people like creekster it would be no big deal.

I read the Potter books to understand what my children were reading.
                  To followup a little: I actually think the sub-text is far more important and compelling than the text (ok, music in this case ... but yes I do like the music too). Specifically, it is the first successful rewriting of the founding myth for historically oppressed or disadvantage minorities. I see that as an important moment. As a point of contrast: As Mormons we wrote ourselves into the founding myth in the late 19th century. We were outsiders too, but it was much easier for us. I do think some other current trends in our politics and culture undermine the importance of this mythic rewriting. But it's still important, and I think an important aspect of why the play is culturally important and resonant.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

I obviously disagree with you and Creekster. I think the songs are pretty amazing.
                    Sorry, I did like play and I enjoy the cast recording. In fact, I will go Renee Elise Goldsberry concert here at BYU in the fall.

Comment

To followup a little: I actually think the sub-text is far more important and compelling than the text (ok, music in this case ... but yes I do like the music too). Specifically, it is the first successful rewriting of the founding myth for historically oppressed or disadvantage minorities. I see that as an important moment. As a point of contrast: As Mormons we wrote ourselves into the founding myth in the late 19th century. We were outsiders too, but it was much easier for us. I do think some other current trends in our politics and culture undermine the importance of this mythic rewriting. But it's still important, and I think an important aspect of why the play is culturally important and resonant.
                      This sounds interesting and I am certain I am missing how the myth re-writing is occurring here, because I have not seen the play and have not listened to all of the songs. Are you stating by virtue of the cast and genre of music, minorities are re-writing themselves into the founding myth?

Using Hamilton who is a tragic figure in the founding myth is an interesting attempt.

Comment

Are you stating by virtue of the cast and genre of music, minorities are re-writing themselves into the founding myth?
                        Yes, particularly the genre of music is an important part of this. I do think you have to see the play for this to come across with force.

Comment

Yes, particularly the genre of music is an important part of this. I do think you have to see the play for this to come across with force.
                          Thank you. In listening to the songs, I am not particularly fond of the hip hop, mostly because I find them difficult to follow, which is why I am reading the lyrics, given the status of the cultural phenomenon.

Given Hamilton's asymmetrical life story, he seems to be a peculiar choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                            I will own that (sorry p-lag!). But if you google "hamilton soundtrack" you will find it is a very widely used expression.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I can't stop laughing at this gem from the ape man:

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              Besides, how can I help it if there is no sound track to a play, if the music is not really very good but is only popular because it lowers quality to appeal to the masses, and if even those among us here are willing to pay ridiculous sums of money to see this ... musical?
                              She would word it differently, but my 87-yr-old mother would say pretty much the same thing. She prefers white people music too!

Well done, creekster. Well done.

Comment

Thank you. In listening to the songs, I am not particularly fond of the hip hop, mostly because I find them difficult to follow, which is why I am reading the lyrics, given the status of the cultural phenomenon.

Given Hamilton's asymmetrical life story, he seems to be a peculiar choice.
                                The fact that Miranda was born and raised in Upper Manhattan (Inwood) probably has a lot to do with it. If you want to write a founding story with New York as the primary location, Hamilton is the obvious choice for protagonist.

Comment

Working...
                                X