Thread: Anosmia

Default Anosmia

I have been sick since February 15th. I missed three days of work, and probably shouldn't have taught the other two either, as I had a mild fever both days, but taking Spring Break in mid-February doesn't work (pun intended). I've been to the doctor and I didn't test positive for the flu, but I just can't seem to feel better.

One side effect of the illness has been extreme nasal congestion. The only thing that will allow me to breathe through my nose is Oxymetalozine HCL, sprayed often, into each nostril. However, since Monday of last week, even when my nose is "open" as it were, I have no sense of smell, and as a result, I cannot taste anything beyond the basic tastes--no flavors whatsoever. I can discern sweet, salty, sour, menthol, and bitter. But, nary a smell will reach my brain, and I haven't had any flavors for almost a week. It has made me stop eating, by and large. I've lost 9 pounds this week. Yesterday, I made myself eat some grits with an old pork tenderloin leftover chopped up in it. It tasted like salty chunks, without the faintest soupçon of a corny flavor.

I used the restroom and my family all complained to me that it was unusually--even for IBS me--wretched; I had no indication whatsoever, that anything was amiss--I literally couldn't smell anything at all. I'm curious if the anosmia would impact my smell-related migraine triggers. Is it the act of smelling something that triggers it, or sensing the aroma and finding it noxious that triggers it?

Anyway, tasteless food for thought.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Is another side effect of the illness over-sharing?
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Is another side effect of the illness over-sharing?
    No. Why do you ask? Pendejo
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

That's an interesting question. What smell triggers do you have?

I've noticed that some strong perfumes or colognes give me a headache. But I don't think it's the flavor as much as it is how much has been applied. I think some people over apply when the concentration they're using wears off over time.

With regards to food, much of my interaction with food is the physiological effects I feel keenly from what I'm eating. In particular, I think I'm addicted to sugar, and am sensitive to the level of my blood sugar. So that is to say, that even when I can't taste what I'm eating, I can feel how my body is reacting to it almost immediately.

I also am in the middle of a severe cold, and I cannot smell anything. I ate a steamed artichoke and could only taste the lemon and some notes of butter. We havent had our valentines dinner yet because I cannot enjoy it.

In other news, my craving for french fries is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    That's an interesting question. What smell triggers do you have?

I've noticed that some strong perfumes or colognes give me a headache. But I don't think it's the flavor as much as it is how much has been applied. I think some people over apply when the concentration they're using wears off over time.

With regards to food, much of my interaction with food is the physiological effects I feel keenly from what I'm eating. In particular, I think I'm addicted to sugar, and am sensitive to the level of my blood sugar. So that is to say, that even when I can't taste what I'm eating, I can feel how my body is reacting to it almost immediately.
    I find the cheaper and more floral the smell, the more likely it is to trigger a migraine. I can also get one from shrieking babies and from talking about money on the phone with my mom and sister (no shit). Oral triggers include:

Canola oil (even a trace amount)...canola/rapeseed will f*** me up for days at a time.
    Pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds
    Bananas (fresh from their peels; banana pudding, if more than a day old, no issues)
    Avocados, if I eat more than one, or some without a day in between doses.
    Chocolate, all kinds except Marabou milk chocolate in moderation.
    Old things...milk, no problem, milk that’s been open for two weeks, trigger.

If I get a migraine after eating something I didn’t prepare, I will go through what’s in it, and I usually missed Canola oil somewhere, or someone did. I’ve had to tell most people we get together with to please not use food release on stuff they plan for me to eat, as it’s usually canola. I’m that customer in restaurants who asks what they fry in. Almost everywhere fries in canola these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I also am in the middle of a severe cold, and I cannot smell anything. I ate a steamed artichoke and could only taste the lemon and some notes of butter. We havent had our valentines dinner yet because I cannot enjoy it.

In other news, my craving for french fries is up.
    I keep smelling cigarette smoke, but I think it’s from what I’m watching on tv, as the olfactory world is closed to me for the time being.
    Last edited by wuapinmon; 02-23-2020 at 04:12 PM.