Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 BYU Cougars Football Thread

Default 2020 BYU Cougars Football Thread

Obviously it has started off super well with the Chaz Ah You news, but now we have a shakeup in the coaching staff like everyone has been hoping for!

Unfortunately, it's not the shakeup we want as AJ Steward makes a lateral position move to Arizona for, what I'm sure is, much more money

You trying to reclaim your emoji?

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    You trying to reclaim your emoji?

It'll take a lot to reclaim that sucker from topper!

Harvey Unga's name being thrown around as replacement... I think he could be good

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    It'll take a lot to reclaim that sucker from topper!

Harvey Unga's name being thrown around as replacement... I think he could be good
    Hasn't he been a GA or something with the team for the last couple of seasons?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Hasn't he been a GA or something with the team for the last couple of seasons?
    Yup. Makes the most sense to me to see him get the job.

Obviously it has started off super well with the Chaz Ah You news, but now we have a shakeup in the coaching staff like everyone has been hoping for!
    Well, we get Neil Pau'u back from his DUI redshirt. So it's kind of a wash?

Unfortunately, it's not the shakeup we want as AJ Steward makes a lateral position move to Arizona for, what I'm sure is, much more money
    The last RB coach, DeMarco Murray, was making a cool $235k as RB coach. So it is probably a 100% or greater raise for AJ.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    The last RB coach, DeMarco Murray, was making a cool $235k as RB coach. So it is probably a 100% or greater raise for AJ.
    Friend of mine is the OC at the local high school here. He went to a coaches clinic last weekend in Vegas. One of the sessions was about passing to RBs and AJ was teaching that session. My friend said that it was the best one he attended and was very impressed with AJ. Sad to lose him.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Friend of mine is the OC at the local high school here. He went to a coaches clinic last weekend in Vegas. One of the sessions was about passing to RBs and AJ was teaching that session. My friend said that it was the best one he attended and was very impressed with AJ. Sad to lose him.
    Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    AJ's contacts won't be easily replaced. Unga may be functional but I don't see his connections being as good.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Apparently BYU is switching to a 4-2-5 defense starting next year per Ben Criddle.

I can imagine a lot of BYU fans reacting negatively to this, getting hung up on the idea that our best defensive players the last few years have been linebackers, and this move would appear to have us playing fewer linebackers in our base D. Reality means it probably puts us in more positions where we're getting the hybrid type players who have actually been our better defenders on the fired more and in a position to make plays. With more and more teams running spread or spread option or heavy RPO sets, this lets us match up a bit better in base and (hopefully) disguise what we're doing a bit differently. Maybe get a bit more creative in bringing pressure.

The reality is that this move probably isn't going to be all that dramatically different from where we've been - BYU has played a linebacker as a "flash" which is essentially a hybrid between being a DB and a LB. Fred played this. Zayne played this. Chaz Ah You would probably play this role too. So call it a LB or a DB, it's probably pretty close to where we've been.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    Apparently BYU is switching to a 4-2-5 defense starting next year per Ben Criddle.

I can imagine a lot of BYU fans reacting negatively to this, getting hung up on the idea that our best defensive players the last few years have been linebackers, and this move would appear to have us playing fewer linebackers in our base D. Reality means it probably puts us in more positions where we're getting the hybrid type players who have actually been our better defenders on the fired more and in a position to make plays. With more and more teams running spread or spread option or heavy RPO sets, this lets us match up a bit better in base and (hopefully) disguise what we're doing a bit differently. Maybe get a bit more creative in bringing pressure.

The reality is that this move probably isn't going to be all that dramatically different from where we've been - BYU has played a linebacker as a "flash" which is essentially a hybrid between being a DB and a LB. Fred played this. Zayne played this. Chaz Ah You would probably play this role too. So call it a LB or a DB, it's probably pretty close to where we've been.

Just don't create positions called Catback or Cougarback, etc. and i'll give the change a fair chance.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post

This is what I was going to say.

All charges dropped against Chaz ah you

All charges dropped against Chaz ah you
    So what does that mean? They say not enough evidence. For DUI? Don't they test for that?
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    So what does that mean? They say not enough evidence. For DUI? Don't they test for that?
    I can tell you haven't read the comment sections in the newspaper articles about this. The many unbiased and knowledgeable Utes (that care so little about BYU that they show up for every BYU-related article) have made it clear that this is just another case of a BYU athlete getting preferential treatment as a result of a call from the COB.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    I can tell you haven't read the comment sections in the newspaper articles about this. The many unbiased and knowledgeable Utes (that care so little about BYU that they show up for every BYU-related article) have made it clear that this is just another case of a BYU athlete getting preferential treatment as a result of a call from the COB.
    Ha. Just "another case?" I recall two, not one, but two gang-rape scandals that didn't get that preferential treatment.

What are the other cases that allows this to qualify as "another" case?

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Reading between the lines of Jared Lloyd's article, it sounds like there were some probably cause issues for the car search. Either way, it's clear there was alcohol and a THC vape pen found, so homeboy doesn't escape HC scrutiny.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Reading between the lines of Jared Lloyd's article, it sounds like there were some probably cause issues for the car search. Either way, it's clear there was alcohol and a THC vape pen found, so homeboy doesn't escape HC scrutiny.
    Yes. The HC doesn't base their conclusion on the whims of the local prosecutors office.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Yes. The HC doesn't base their conclusion on the whims of the local prosecutors office.
    Nor does it operate under the rules of due process and presumption of innocence.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    Nor does it operate under the rules of due process and presumption of innocence.
    Due process? What does that even mean in the context of the HCO? Do you think the HCO can or should operate like a police force?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Princeps Inter Pares

Which means we will see him in blue come 2021.

That may be the best outcome for him, really. He gets off scot-free as far as legal ramifications are concerned, but still gets some sense slapped into him by the honor code office. Years from now, when anybody asks, he can say it was just BYU being BYU.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

I feel pretty strongly that if he's not immediately reinstated on the team then it's like BYU doesn't care about the atonement.

Due process? What does that even mean in the context of the HCO? Do you think the HCO can or should operate like a police force?
    Easy there, big fella. Wapiti is saying the criminal procedural and other constitutional concerns from the standpoint of a government prosecutor do not apply to the HCO. That also seems to be what you are saying in this post, although your previous characterization of the analysis a prosecutor makes in that regard as mere whimsy is likely what led to wapiti's clarification.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Easy there, big fella. Wapiti is saying the criminal procedural and other constitutional concerns from the standpoint of a government prosecutor do not apply to the HCO. That also seems to be what you are saying in this post, although your previous characterization of the analysis a prosecutor makes in that regard as mere whimsy is likely what led to wapiti's clarification.
    No, that wasn't what I was trying to say. Just saying that lack of prosecution doesn't (and shouldn't) impact what the HCO does.

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Damn hope the HCO doesn't see that tweet-- that's as good as an admission for them.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Damn hope the HCO doesn't see that tweet-- that's as good as an admission for them.
    I read the DesNews article and it's pretty clear he was/is a violator. Maybe he's nudging them along.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Wapiti is saying the criminal procedural and other constitutional concerns from the standpoint of a government prosecutor do not apply to the HCO. That also seems to be what you are saying in this post [. . .]
    No, that wasn't what I was trying to say. Just saying that lack of prosecution doesn't (and shouldn't) impact what the HCO does.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

BYU has the best chance to beat the Utes in a decade. If Covid-19 ends up postponing the season or making the game not happen, I think we can officially admit that if a higher-being does exist, that higher-being wants BYU to never beat the Utes again.
    You know I'm free
    B*** you know I'm free
    Face it girl I'm free
    Yeah you know I'm free
    Okay I'm free yeah
    Free to chain my will onto the wings of my instinct
    And wander round this box you know I'm inextricably linked
    That's right I'm free to make a sooth to catch some stuff that holds me down
    To capture my desires fashion out a viscid crown
    . . .
    I never leave I'm super free
    To fill my smiles up with the tears that I forgot
    And haunt myself beside these pretty ghosts that float my heart
    You know I'm free
    -- Shabazz Palaces: Free Press and Curl