2020 BYU Cougars Football Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 BYU Cougars Football Thread

Obviously it has started off super well with the Chaz Ah You news, but now we have a shakeup in the coaching staff like everyone has been hoping for!

Unfortunately, it's not the shakeup we want as AJ Steward makes a lateral position move to Arizona for, what I'm sure is, much more money

You trying to reclaim your emoji?

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      You trying to reclaim your emoji?

It'll take a lot to reclaim that sucker from topper!

Harvey Unga's name being thrown around as replacement... I think he could be good

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
        It'll take a lot to reclaim that sucker from topper!

Harvey Unga's name being thrown around as replacement... I think he could be good
        Hasn't he been a GA or something with the team for the last couple of seasons?
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          Hasn't he been a GA or something with the team for the last couple of seasons?
          Yup. Makes the most sense to me to see him get the job.

Comment

Obviously it has started off super well with the Chaz Ah You news, but now we have a shakeup in the coaching staff like everyone has been hoping for!
            Well, we get Neil Pau'u back from his DUI redshirt. So it's kind of a wash?

Comment

Unfortunately, it's not the shakeup we want as AJ Steward makes a lateral position move to Arizona for, what I'm sure is, much more money
              The last RB coach, DeMarco Murray, was making a cool $235k as RB coach. So it is probably a 100% or greater raise for AJ.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                The last RB coach, DeMarco Murray, was making a cool $235k as RB coach. So it is probably a 100% or greater raise for AJ.
                Friend of mine is the OC at the local high school here. He went to a coaches clinic last weekend in Vegas. One of the sessions was about passing to RBs and AJ was teaching that session. My friend said that it was the best one he attended and was very impressed with AJ. Sad to lose him.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                  Friend of mine is the OC at the local high school here. He went to a coaches clinic last weekend in Vegas. One of the sessions was about passing to RBs and AJ was teaching that session. My friend said that it was the best one he attended and was very impressed with AJ. Sad to lose him.
                  Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                    AJ's contacts won't be easily replaced. Unga may be functional but I don't see his connections being as good.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Apparently BYU is switching to a 4-2-5 defense starting next year per Ben Criddle.

I can imagine a lot of BYU fans reacting negatively to this, getting hung up on the idea that our best defensive players the last few years have been linebackers, and this move would appear to have us playing fewer linebackers in our base D. Reality means it probably puts us in more positions where we're getting the hybrid type players who have actually been our better defenders on the fired more and in a position to make plays. With more and more teams running spread or spread option or heavy RPO sets, this lets us match up a bit better in base and (hopefully) disguise what we're doing a bit differently. Maybe get a bit more creative in bringing pressure.

The reality is that this move probably isn't going to be all that dramatically different from where we've been - BYU has played a linebacker as a "flash" which is essentially a hybrid between being a DB and a LB. Fred played this. Zayne played this. Chaz Ah You would probably play this role too. So call it a LB or a DB, it's probably pretty close to where we've been.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                        Apparently BYU is switching to a 4-2-5 defense starting next year per Ben Criddle.

I can imagine a lot of BYU fans reacting negatively to this, getting hung up on the idea that our best defensive players the last few years have been linebackers, and this move would appear to have us playing fewer linebackers in our base D. Reality means it probably puts us in more positions where we're getting the hybrid type players who have actually been our better defenders on the fired more and in a position to make plays. With more and more teams running spread or spread option or heavy RPO sets, this lets us match up a bit better in base and (hopefully) disguise what we're doing a bit differently. Maybe get a bit more creative in bringing pressure.

The reality is that this move probably isn't going to be all that dramatically different from where we've been - BYU has played a linebacker as a "flash" which is essentially a hybrid between being a DB and a LB. Fred played this. Zayne played this. Chaz Ah You would probably play this role too. So call it a LB or a DB, it's probably pretty close to where we've been.

Just don't create positions called Catback or Cougarback, etc. and i'll give the change a fair chance.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post

This is what I was going to say.

Comment

All charges dropped against Chaz ah you

Comment

All charges dropped against Chaz ah you
                              So what does that mean? They say not enough evidence. For DUI? Don't they test for that?
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                              X