• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    All the submerged stuff is gorgeous.

NS: I like the fruit bowl.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      :::nodding:::
      Also, the bright spot on the horizon could stand by itself without serving as a backdrop to the tree.
      Well, the tree blocked the direct sun, which I couldn't figure out how to shoot without overwhelming the camera.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
        My daughter likes to photograph food;

[ATTACH]5259[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH]5260[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH]5261[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH]5262[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH]5263[/ATTACH]
        The milk and cookies are nice, the fruit bowl would be nice, but the focus is a tad soft. The others are fine, but make me hungry.

Comment

If you can lighten the heads just a bit to make the eyes visible, that would help, it's almost a requirement with wildlife, the eyes are quite often critical to a successful image. A circular polarizer would have made for some interesting options here. Went ahead and made some adjustments in LR. You've got some areas of complete black on the necks and the reflections unfortunately.

rs5Ual1-2.jpg
          Last edited by swampfrog; 12-09-2014, 01:23 AM. Reason: attachment

Comment

• I was shooting a group of ring-necked ducks last week when this happened.

Ring neck.jpg
            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
              I was shooting a group of ring-necked ducks last week when this happened.

[ATTACH]5267[/ATTACH]
              3 words. That is awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                My daughter likes to photograph food;

[ATTACH]5263[/ATTACH]
                No comments from a technical perspective but lets hear more about that dessert. Looks like the shave ice you get at Sweet Home Cafe in Oahu...filled with all sorts of crazy flavors and colors. one of the best shabu shabu places.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• A couple other bird/fish related photos on my card.

Osprey with a large mouth bass
                  Osprey.jpg
                  Great blue heron with a plecostomus
                  GBH.jpg

Comment

Well, the tree blocked the direct sun, which I couldn't figure out how to shoot without overwhelming the camera.
                    If on a tripod, bracket 3 to 7 shots and use software to integrate into an HDR image. If the camera supports automatic bracketing, you might be able to do the same handheld, but it would be difficult when the shutter speed drops for the darker images. I like it as is though the whites are still blown out. That's a lot of dynamic range to try to handle without HDR techniques, even with the brightest light behind the tree.

Comment

A couple other bird/fish related photos on my card.

Osprey with a large mouth bass
                      [ATTACH]5268[/ATTACH]
                      When you can, leave more open sky in the direction the bird is looking, that usually results in a more pleasing image. Osprey's and bald eagle's can be a pain because of the combination of white and dark brown, especially if full sun. This looks good to me.

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                      Great blue heron with a plecostomus
                      [ATTACH]5269[/ATTACH]
                      Did it get the fish down? That looks like more than a even a heron can handle!

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                        When you can, leave more open sky in the direction the bird is looking, that usually results in a more pleasing image. Osprey's and bald eagle's can be a pain because of the combination of white and dark brown, especially if full sun. This looks good to me.

Did it get the fish down? That looks like more than a even a heron can handle!
                        Yep. I watched him for about 20 minutes trying to get the thing positioned just right before attempting the swallow. Plecostomus are incredibly spiny, so once it starts down, it's not reversing direction. I can't imagine how long it takes to digest one of those.

_M8A1165.jpg
                        _M8A1173.jpg
                        _M8A1177.jpg
                        Attached Files

Comment

• DU, I hope you shot that osprey. That is a nice bass he killed.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Plecostimus aren't indigenous there, right? That's someone's aqarium dropoff at the river, I'd think.

Awesome pictures. I would like to get in to some animal photography.
                            Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              DU, I hope you shot that osprey. That is a nice bass he killed.
                              Who?!

Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                              Plecostimus aren't indigenous there, right? That's someone's aqarium dropoff at the river, I'd think.

Awesome pictures. I would like to get in to some animal photography.
                              Correct. Even more non-native than our usual non-natives. Because the systems proximity to development, the area suffers from a decent amount of dumping. Plecostomus are pretty abundant, but we also have a molly that's quite prolific. Some of our lesser established, but documented species include convict cichlids and red-bellied pacu (a vegetarian cousin of the piranha).

Comment

Who?!
                                lol
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X