Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
    Sensors:

DSLRs have "full-frame" bodies and crop sensor bodies (Nikon or Canon). Full frame is really just a larger sensor chip. Manufacturing larger sensors is more costly than manufacturing a "crop" or smaller sensor of equivalent quality. The natural advantage of a larger sensor is it is more sensitive to light (more surface area), so ISO performance is improved (better low light performance). Sensor technology also continues to improve, so newer bodies with equivalent sized sensors get better results. The drawback to the larger sensor is cost, and not just in the body. The sensor is larger, which means the lens which focuses light onto the sensor must also be larger or placed further from the sensor, in order to illuminate the entire surface area when the shutter is released. Larger lenses are more expensive. The physics of sensor and lens alignment for a larger lens also results in a narrower depth of field, which throws the background more out of focus, which for most of us is a good thing as it isolates the subject from the background. In addition a larger sensor will capture an improved image geometry, straighter lines, less distortion.

Processors and Memory:

DSLRs are really mini computers, they have a CPU which takes the data from the sensor, performs some calculations based on a combination of firmware, hardware, software, and camera settings (parameters), and then passes the results to the memory storage system. Higher frame rates are a result of having a fast processor and a high throughput memory system. Typical memory cards are not fast enough to store higher burst rates, so the cameras with high burst capability have an internal memory buffer (kind of like a computer cache), that temporarily stores multiple images until the card can process the writes. The size of this higher speed memory buffer controls the number of images that can be shot in a burst. A camera might be capable of physically shooting 12 fps, but the memory system may only be able to deal with 6-7 RAW images before the buffer fills, then your at the mercy of your card speed as the buffer empties to the card. If you shoot jpeg only, then the buffer will be sufficient for significantly more images and sustain the 12 fps for multiple seconds. So while my daughter's T4i has a newer sensor, with better ISO performance that allows a faster shutter, the memory system is lacking so the 50D runs circles around it when it comes to fps. So just upping the ISO on the T4i does not allow it to compete with the 50D.

Stopping Motion:

If all you ever shoot is portraits and landscapes, fps will probably not interest you. If you're shooting your family and want to capture candid shots, stopping motion on a swing, stopping splashes at the water park or pool, etc. Then fps is fantastic. Shoot a burst and pick your favorite, rather than trying to time the shutter release at exactly the right moment.
    Great summary. Thanks for taking the time to write this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      After AV and swampfrog's comments, i decided to get to the bottom of what Mrs. D really wants in a camera. As it turns out, she isn't as interested in video as I originally thought, and shutter speed is important to her. The D3200 is a downgrade from the D40 in that respect. So I'm sticking with our D40 for a while. I did buy her the 50mm AF-S lens, which I think she'll love for portraits of our kids.
      I didn't get a chance before to see what the difference between a D40 and D3200 were, there's 6 years between those 2 models, which similarly to computers is forever. I'm not sure how the D3200 is a downgrade in shutter speed though, both specify 1/4000 sec as maximum shutter speed. The D3200 specs show a 4 fps burst (though I'm guessing that's jpeg and not RAW). The D40 specs show a 2.5 fps, so the D3200 is a little faster there, but it's also shooting a 24 megapixel image versus a 6 megapixel image, so the processor and memory systems in the D3200 are vastly improved over the D40. Processor and Sensor technology are still improving quite rapidly, memory systems not quite as fast (excepting total capacity). When they develop some kind of card that can sustain higher burst rates at hi-res until the card fills to capacity, then the need for internal buffers will go away. Then lower priced cameras will be able to sustain high quality RAW bursts (unless they purposefully cripple the camera which I suspect they do already like in video cards).

From what I can tell the Nikon follows the same pattern as Canon, where the enthusiast/prosumer models at around $1000 are spec'd a little better when it comes to shooting fps in RAW.

Comment

• Thanks for all the tips and explanations everyone. Very helpful. I went with the 3200 bundle. Should be a nice machine.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          Thanks for all the tips and explanations everyone. Very helpful. I went with the 3200 bundle. Should be a nice machine.
          Congrats, enjoy. And we expect pictures. Right here, in this very thread.

Comment

• Ward Christmas Party 2013

Foggy evening, the parking lot was more interesting than the party Wish I had the tripod so I didn't have to bump the ISO up, but still not bad for handheld. Shot RAW and post processed in Lightroom.

f /4.0, 1/15 sec, ISO 800

f /4.0, .4 sec, ISO 800

f /4.0 1/6 sec, ISO 800

I guess I should include why I had the camera at the party in the first place...

f /3.2 1/25 sec, ISO 1600
            Last edited by swampfrog; 12-20-2013, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• Had the opportunity to take some pictures in the pool where my in-laws have an apartment, should have set the camera to shoot at 1/1000 and bumped the ISO a little more, but it's not bad, didn't quite freeze the water, except in the 3rd photo when the camera shot at 1/800 instead of 1/640. Shot a burst of 4, really only the 3rd one is worth keeping as a single shot, but showing the sequence shows the advantage of being able to shoot bursts of 6-7 fps.

Comment

• A few more interesting ones:

Comment

• We had some freezing rain on top of a few inches of snow. Church was cancelled, so instead I went out with the camera around the neighborhood.

Ice on Snow Facebook Album (22 images)

Comment

We had some freezing rain on top of a few inches of snow. Church was cancelled, so instead I went out with the camera around the neighborhood.

Cool photos.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

We had some freezing rain on top of a few inches of snow. Church was cancelled, so instead I went out with the camera around the neighborhood.

I really like this one:

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        I really like this one:

Thanks. That's one where I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to get. The macro lens has such a shallow depth of field, that until the image was loaded and viewed in Lightroom, I couldn't really tell what part ended up in focus. (This was all handheld, so it's difficult to maintain the exact same distance from the subject when millimeters matter). I snapped several, and was really pleased with how this one came out.

Comment

• Another outing, this time to one of the local falls in the Columbia River Gorge:

Wahclella Falls - Full album link

Some of the images

Comment

• Trying to capture that catalog circa 1950s feeling.

Comment

• Art has a photography thread? This must be where he shows off all his creamy photos.
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Been out shooting birds recently:

Comment

Working...
                                X