Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Photography Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
    Canon 30D
    Canon 50mm prime (the cheaper $100 unit)
    No flash
    Self-timer

Sheesh SG, your wife is a babe, your kids are adorable and you have a rockin' goatee. Bravo and well done.

All this praise for SG makes me feel less loved. Time to take him down a notch.

What, SG, only white Christmas lights? Are you racist or something?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
    Sheesh SG, your wife is a babe, your kids are adorable and you have a rockin' goatee. Bravo and well done.
    AND he has some of those killer oversized Bonzai trees in his front yard. Dude has it all.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    All this praise for SG makes me feel less loved. Time to take him down a notch.

What, SG, only white Christmas lights? Are you racist or something?
    LOL, about time someone knocked you off your high horse!
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Kind of fun.
    Think I'll try it, when I have time shortly. I like the bokeh concept. I usually just mask off the subject of the picture in Photoshop, to get a bokeh-like effect. The problem is, this makes the subject look like a miniature. Example:

I'm assuming you are creating a layer for your Gaussian blur effect, yes? If so, then for the gaussian blur layer mask, make a gradient from the bottom of your image to the top of your image (black to white from the bottom to the top). After you make the gradient, select the foreground image and cut it out from the mask, then apply the blur. I just created a quick and dirty mask using the image you included that I think might solve your miniature problem (see attached). Adjust the gradient (black to a lighter gray instead of white, or use a dark gray instead of black) until you get something that you are happy with.

HTH.

cheers.

(Edit: you can also have the gradient's black area be somewhere in the middle of the picture and then have the gradient fade from black to white toward both the top and bottom of the picture... does that make sense?)
    Hey Thanks, I will try it both ways. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

So I created a gradient mask for my gaussian blur layer:

I wasnt sure how dark to gradiate, but I went with running the gradiant function twice. Below are 3 photos. The first is the original photo non-blurred. The second is with an ungradiated gaussian blur, which gives me a claustrophobic, miniaturized feeling when I look at it. The third photo has a gradiant gaussian blur. It doesn't make me feel claustrophobic because the foreground is cleaned of the blur.

Original

Full Gaussian blur mask

Gradiant Gaussian blur mask

I think I can get rid of the mask specks in the foreground by reducing the opacity of the mask layer from 100% to about 85%.
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 12-08-2009 at 04:56 AM.

I realize that this thread is swiftly turning into the "thread that only KL cares about," but if I keep posting here, I keep working at it.

This shot available only in the winter, when the sun has a more southern exposure. Or at least that's what I told myself, freezing in the bitter cold yesterday.

I've perused some HDR galleries, and some of the stuff they put together looks really cool. I've heard some people complain that the HDR images are lame b/c they don't represent what the actual scene was. Sort of the idea that people had sort of cheated to get that image. I think they're pretty cool. Like this one:
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I realize that this thread is swiftly turning into the "thread that only KL cares about," but if I keep posting here, I keep working at it.
    Please don't stop. I don't have much to add, but I am fascinated.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

cheers.
    Cool. I didn't know about this technique. I've never shot RAW before, but there's nothing stopping me. I will look into it.

Trivial question: In the picture is your wife prepping for her Dissertation defense?

This is not true, I enjoy seeing you and others photos here. I have quite a few that I have just been too lazy to upload to photobucket so that I can post them. Though, you are a much more talented photographer than I.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant SoCalCoug's Avatar

Keep it going. I read this thread, and don't post only because I know very little about photography, but I want to learn. Great stuff in here.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

I don't currently own a prime lens for portraits but may buy myself one or two for Christmas. Any reccomendations? I have a Nikon D300 body most close work is done with a 18-55mm lens but it can't compete with my 2.8 70-200mm lens for quality, especially in low light.

Sunrise Wednesday morning over a cold Mt. St. Helens.

Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post

Love the detail in your treeline.

Coconut bracelets

So, when you wonder if this thread is fun for others, just know that this photo makes me very happy. The different colors of brown and her skin tone make it seem like the light source is a bright candle and she's looking away from it like she's indifferent to the camera's presence. Very nice photo. You've made her beautiful without eroticizing her at all.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Natural side light, against a black sheet.

Natural side light, against white poster board.

Psyanky
    Ostrich Egg, designed by Luba Perchyshyn, dyed by Katy Lied
    Chicken Egg, designed and dyed by Katy Lied

Psyanky
    Good grief, you are talented. Please tell how you dyed those with such an intricate pattern. I can't even pull off two-tone PAAS ones at Easter.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Good grief, you are talented. Please tell how you dyed those with such an intricate pattern. I can't even pull off two-tone PAAS ones at Easter.
    Yeah, color me impressed (pun intended ).
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post

Hey, where'd the top go?
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Please tell how you dyed those with such an intricate pattern. I can't even pull off two-tone PAAS ones at Easter.
    The exact process as those two-tone PAAS ones. In between the dye colors, you cover the areas where you want to keep the color with beeswax. It's not very complex--just tedious.

Misty Bridge to Magna

KL, you are very talented. I enjoy looking at your shots.

Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

The exact process as those two-tone PAAS ones. In between the dye colors, you cover the areas where you want to keep the color with beeswax. It's not very complex--just tedious.
    When God made me, one of my many weaknesses he decided to inflict on me was impatience. I'm not good at tedious tasks. I'm glad that there are people like you who are good at them.

Ha! I have tried that before. It is easy to get a messy looking egg that looks like an arts and crafts project. To accomplish something like your two eggs is incredible. Well done.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Saw this picture today on APOD. I almost put it in the religion forum.

"Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Really like the second one. Very moody and masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Saw this picture today on APOD.
    You know, the more junk in the sky (vapor trails, cloud reflections, lens flare, camera artifacts, etc) the more interesting and beautiful I think the picture is.

Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant SoCalCoug's Avatar

Psyanky
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn