Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Space Ghost
    Canon 30D
    Canon 50mm prime (the cheaper $100 unit)
    No flash
    Self-timer

Sheesh SG, your wife is a babe, your kids are adorable and you have a rockin' goatee. Bravo and well done.

Comment

All this praise for SG makes me feel less loved. Time to take him down a notch.

What, SG, only white Christmas lights? Are you racist or something?
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
        Sheesh SG, your wife is a babe, your kids are adorable and you have a rockin' goatee. Bravo and well done.
        AND he has some of those killer oversized Bonzai trees in his front yard. Dude has it all.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
          All this praise for SG makes me feel less loved. Time to take him down a notch.

What, SG, only white Christmas lights? Are you racist or something?
          LOL, about time someone knocked you off your high horse!
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

Kind of fun.
            Think I'll try it, when I have time shortly. I like the bokeh concept. I usually just mask off the subject of the picture in Photoshop, to get a bokeh-like effect. The problem is, this makes the subject look like a miniature. Example:

Comment

I'm assuming you are creating a layer for your Gaussian blur effect, yes? If so, then for the gaussian blur layer mask, make a gradient from the bottom of your image to the top of your image (black to white from the bottom to the top). After you make the gradient, select the foreground image and cut it out from the mask, then apply the blur. I just created a quick and dirty mask using the image you included that I think might solve your miniature problem (see attached). Adjust the gradient (black to a lighter gray instead of white, or use a dark gray instead of black) until you get something that you are happy with.

HTH.

cheers.

(Edit: you can also have the gradient's black area be somewhere in the middle of the picture and then have the gradient fade from black to white toward both the top and bottom of the picture... does that make sense?)
              Hey Thanks, I will try it both ways. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Comment

So I created a gradient mask for my gaussian blur layer:

I wasnt sure how dark to gradiate, but I went with running the gradiant function twice. Below are 3 photos. The first is the original photo non-blurred. The second is with an ungradiated gaussian blur, which gives me a claustrophobic, miniaturized feeling when I look at it. The third photo has a gradiant gaussian blur. It doesn't make me feel claustrophobic because the foreground is cleaned of the blur.

Original

Full Gaussian blur mask

Gradiant Gaussian blur mask

I think I can get rid of the mask specks in the foreground by reducing the opacity of the mask layer from 100% to about 85%.
                Last edited by Katy Lied; 12-08-2009, 04:56 AM.

Comment

I realize that this thread is swiftly turning into the "thread that only KL cares about," but if I keep posting here, I keep working at it.

This shot available only in the winter, when the sun has a more southern exposure. Or at least that's what I told myself, freezing in the bitter cold yesterday.

Comment

I've perused some HDR galleries, and some of the stuff they put together looks really cool. I've heard some people complain that the HDR images are lame b/c they don't represent what the actual scene was. Sort of the idea that people had sort of cheated to get that image. I think they're pretty cool. Like this one:
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                      I realize that this thread is swiftly turning into the "thread that only KL cares about," but if I keep posting here, I keep working at it.
                      Please don't stop. I don't have much to add, but I am fascinated.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

cheers.
                        Cool. I didn't know about this technique. I've never shot RAW before, but there's nothing stopping me. I will look into it.

Trivial question: In the picture is your wife prepping for her Dissertation defense?

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                          This is not true, I enjoy seeing you and others photos here. I have quite a few that I have just been too lazy to upload to photobucket so that I can post them. Though, you are a much more talented photographer than I.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

Keep it going. I read this thread, and don't post only because I know very little about photography, but I want to learn. Great stuff in here.
                            If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

I don't currently own a prime lens for portraits but may buy myself one or two for Christmas. Any reccomendations? I have a Nikon D300 body most close work is done with a 18-55mm lens but it can't compete with my 2.8 70-200mm lens for quality, especially in low light.

Comment

Sunrise Wednesday morning over a cold Mt. St. Helens.

Get confident, stupid
                                -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                                X