Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758
Results 1,711 to 1,722 of 1722

Thread: Official Photography Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Got to play with my son's Sony A6000 (he mistakingly told me it was an A6300) and I am mostly impressed. It is less than half the size and weight of my Cannon 6D. Here are two shots taken while feeding the squirrels sunflower seeds at a local park:

Cannon 6D (24-105 lens, automatic settings)

Sony A6000 (3.5-5.5/16-50 kit lens, automatic settings)
    What doesn't impress you about it?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    What doesn't impress you about it?
    Pros: Mirrorless cameras are certainly the future. I absolutely love how small and lightweight it is, and the quality of video is amazing due to the built-in image stabilization.

Cons: Weirdly complex interface; too many buttons to press to get to standard manual shooting mode features. When you want to look through the view finder the digital image you are seeing is really awful, which means shooting while looking at the LCD screen is your best option. That's a good thing for me because I like to shoot (blindly) while holding the camera at chest level or at my waist, but there are times when you really need to look through the view finder, and the quality of the image in the view finder you are seeing is really that bad. Also, because it's a Sony it's not too Mac friendly. Finding your videos on the SD card is like trying to find hidden treasure. The quality of images overall is not the same—they just aren't as crisp as with my D6. Sony lenses comparable to my 24-105 cannon lens are expensive—size does matter.

There's a reason it's the best selling mirrorless camera—it's a great camera for the price.

Last note: battery life is putrid, especially in cold conditions. You should have an extra battery with you if you expect to go out shooting with it all day, whereas the battery in my cannon will go days without needing to be charged.
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-03-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Pros: Mirrorless cameras are certainly the future. I absolutely love how small and lightweight it is, and the quality of video is amazing due to the built-in image stabilization.

Cons: Weirdly complex interface; too many buttons to press to get to standard manual shooting mode features. When you want to look through the view finder the digital image you are seeing is really awful, which means shooting while looking at the LCD screen is your best option. That's a good thing for me because I like to shoot (blindly) while holding the camera at chest level or at my waist, but there are times when you really need to look through the view finder, and the quality of the image in the view finder you are seeing is really that bad. Also, because it's a Sony it's not too Mac friendly. Finding your videos on the SD card is like trying to find hidden treasure. The quality of images overall is not the same—they just aren't as crisp as with my D6. Sony lenses comparable to my 24-105 cannon lens are expensive—size does matter.

There's a reason it's the best selling mirrorless camera—it's a great camera for the price.

Last note: battery life is putrid, especially in cold conditions. You should have an extra battery with you if you expect to go out shooting with it all day, whereas the battery in my cannon will go days without needing to be charged.
    This seems consistent with my Panasonic. The interface could be improved. Once the settings are in place though, taking great pictures and video is a snap. I don't have a problem with the view finder, but I do usally use the LCD screen. Not being the photophile though and having an older SLR, I haven't seen any drop in the quality of the photos.

First time to Pittock Mansion in Portland. First a couple of view shots.

Inside the mansion

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    First time to Pittock Mansion in Portland.
    That's a lot of stairs.

Stopped by the capitol building in Olympia on a drive to Seattle. Great timing.

A few of the interior

And one more from further back outside

It surprises me how much they clear around the base of the tree.
    Stopped by the capitol building in Olympia on a drive to Seattle. Great timing.

These "slides" along the stairs crack me up. How many kids jump under the railings and slide down them? And how much extra processing do you have to do to bring out details in spite of the bright backlit windows?

A few of the interior

Last edited by mtnbiker; 04-13-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    These "slides" along the stairs crack me up. How many kids jump under the railings and slide down them? And how much extra processing do you have to do to bring out details in spite of the bright backlit windows?
    Didn't occur to me to try out the slides, I'm guessing it happens from time to time. but there are always a lot of security and other adults around, so not too likely.

All of the interior shots with the windows are 3 shot HDR composites, so one of the three has detail in the windows. Same as the Pittock mansion shots. Isn't too much of an issue really. The 7D mark II shoots 10 frames per second, so I can shoot the bracket shots handheld without a tripod and nearly always they align perfectly. The "Auto" feature in the latest Lightroom is much better than previous iterations, so processing can be pretty quick depending on what I'm after.

Lovely as usual Swamp

Rainy day trip to Bremerton, WA. Cleared up a bit in the afternoon for the return ferry ride. These are a clickable to see a larger version.