Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 84856575859 LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 1751

Thread: Official Photography Thread

  1. #1711
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Got to play with my son's Sony A6000 (he mistakingly told me it was an A6300) and I am mostly impressed. It is less than half the size and weight of my Cannon 6D. Here are two shots taken while feeding the squirrels sunflower seeds at a local park:

    Cannon 6D (24-105 lens, automatic settings)


    Sony A6000 (3.5-5.5/16-50 kit lens, automatic settings)
    What doesn't impress you about it?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  2. #1712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    What doesn't impress you about it?
    Pros: Mirrorless cameras are certainly the future. I absolutely love how small and lightweight it is, and the quality of video is amazing due to the built-in image stabilization.

    Cons: Weirdly complex interface; too many buttons to press to get to standard manual shooting mode features. When you want to look through the view finder the digital image you are seeing is really awful, which means shooting while looking at the LCD screen is your best option. That's a good thing for me because I like to shoot (blindly) while holding the camera at chest level or at my waist, but there are times when you really need to look through the view finder, and the quality of the image in the view finder you are seeing is really that bad. Also, because it's a Sony it's not too Mac friendly. Finding your videos on the SD card is like trying to find hidden treasure. The quality of images overall is not the same—they just aren't as crisp as with my D6. Sony lenses comparable to my 24-105 cannon lens are expensive—size does matter.

    There's a reason it's the best selling mirrorless camera—it's a great camera for the price.

    Last note: battery life is putrid, especially in cold conditions. You should have an extra battery with you if you expect to go out shooting with it all day, whereas the battery in my cannon will go days without needing to be charged.
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-03-2019 at 06:20 PM.

  3. #1713

    Default




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #1714
    Board eye candy beefytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    4,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Pros: Mirrorless cameras are certainly the future. I absolutely love how small and lightweight it is, and the quality of video is amazing due to the built-in image stabilization.

    Cons: Weirdly complex interface; too many buttons to press to get to standard manual shooting mode features. When you want to look through the view finder the digital image you are seeing is really awful, which means shooting while looking at the LCD screen is your best option. That's a good thing for me because I like to shoot (blindly) while holding the camera at chest level or at my waist, but there are times when you really need to look through the view finder, and the quality of the image in the view finder you are seeing is really that bad. Also, because it's a Sony it's not too Mac friendly. Finding your videos on the SD card is like trying to find hidden treasure. The quality of images overall is not the same—they just aren't as crisp as with my D6. Sony lenses comparable to my 24-105 cannon lens are expensive—size does matter.

    There's a reason it's the best selling mirrorless camera—it's a great camera for the price.

    Last note: battery life is putrid, especially in cold conditions. You should have an extra battery with you if you expect to go out shooting with it all day, whereas the battery in my cannon will go days without needing to be charged.
    This seems consistent with my Panasonic. The interface could be improved. Once the settings are in place though, taking great pictures and video is a snap. I don't have a problem with the view finder, but I do usally use the LCD screen. Not being the photophile though and having an older SLR, I haven't seen any drop in the quality of the photos.

  5. #1715

    Default

    First time to Pittock Mansion in Portland. First a couple of view shots.





    Inside the mansion














  6. #1716
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    First time to Pittock Mansion in Portland.
    That's a lot of stairs.

  7. #1717

    Default

    Stopped by the capitol building in Olympia on a drive to Seattle. Great timing.












  8. #1718

    Default

    A few of the interior









    And one more from further back outside


  9. #1719
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    It surprises me how much they clear around the base of the tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    Stopped by the capitol building in Olympia on a drive to Seattle. Great timing.

    These "slides" along the stairs crack me up. How many kids jump under the railings and slide down them? And how much extra processing do you have to do to bring out details in spite of the bright backlit windows?

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    A few of the interior



    Last edited by mtnbiker; 04-13-2019 at 04:55 PM.

  10. #1720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    These "slides" along the stairs crack me up. How many kids jump under the railings and slide down them? And how much extra processing do you have to do to bring out details in spite of the bright backlit windows?
    Didn't occur to me to try out the slides, I'm guessing it happens from time to time. but there are always a lot of security and other adults around, so not too likely.

    All of the interior shots with the windows are 3 shot HDR composites, so one of the three has detail in the windows. Same as the Pittock mansion shots. Isn't too much of an issue really. The 7D mark II shoots 10 frames per second, so I can shoot the bracket shots handheld without a tripod and nearly always they align perfectly. The "Auto" feature in the latest Lightroom is much better than previous iterations, so processing can be pretty quick depending on what I'm after.

  11. #1721

    Default

    Lovely as usual Swamp

  12. #1722

    Default

    Rainy day trip to Bremerton, WA. Cleared up a bit in the afternoon for the return ferry ride. These are a clickable to see a larger version.


















  13. #1723
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,798

    Default

    I am in need some insight. On sort of a whim, I purchased a Canon EF 2X II for my 5D. I photograph lots of wildlife for work and have always felt that my 400mm was leaving me a little short. So, I figured an extender would be a relatively cheap solution. I looked at the 1.4 and the 2X before convincing myself that 2 is better than 1.4. So I finally pick it up today, throw it on for a brief trial only to discover that the autofocus doesn’t seem to work on the 2X?! Can that possibly be? WTF is this ridiculousness? I made the purchase to improve my bird game and those little bastards hardly hold still enough for me to struggle with manual focusing. Are there tricks around this or am I doomed to very close up but also very blurry photos from here on out?!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  14. #1724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    I am in need some insight. On sort of a whim, I purchased a Canon EF 2X II for my 5D. I photograph lots of wildlife for work and have always felt that my 400mm was leaving me a little short. So, I figured an extender would be a relatively cheap solution. I looked at the 1.4 and the 2X before convincing myself that 2 is better than 1.4. So I finally pick it up today, throw it on for a brief trial only to discover that the autofocus doesn’t seem to work on the 2X?! Can that possibly be? WTF is this ridiculousness? I made the purchase to improve my bird game and those little bastards hardly hold still enough for me to struggle with manual focusing. Are there tricks around this or am I doomed to very close up but also very blurry photos from here on out?!

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm assuming the 400mm f/5.6L?

    Which 5D? If you have the 5D mark IV, it can autofocus at f/8 at all points. The 5D mark III can autofocus at f/8 at the center point. Previous 5D will not autofocus at f/8 at all.

    Return the 2X II if possible, it costs 2 stops f/5.6 --> f/11, no Canon DSLR focuses at f/11 except the new mirrorless bodies.

    If you have a 5D III or IV, pick up the 1.4x III which costs 1 stop, it will turn your 400 mm f/5.6 into a 560mm f/8.

    Bird photography in the wild is expensive. Cheapest entry (with Canon branded gear) is 80D + 100-400mm mk II + 1.4X, and that's still not long enough for many situations.

  15. #1725

    Default

    A shot I took on my iPhone last night as my wife and I were returning home on the train after a night out on the town:

    Last edited by tooblue; 04-27-2019 at 07:38 AM.

  16. #1726

    Default

    Very nice.

  17. #1727

    Default

    Been getting out on hikes despite the rain and cold, but it looks like spring will arrive after all as today I was hiking in shorts. The trilliums were just about to bloom, and I played with depth of field and my lens focus. Also, my dog and I happened upon a little friend on our path:







    Last edited by tooblue; 05-06-2019 at 04:26 PM.

  18. #1728

    Default

    Some from the tulip farm




















  19. #1729

  20. #1730
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Man, those colors really pop. Did you do your triple exposure merge on all of those?

    Do you use any color filters on the camera or in processing? I have a Nikon dslr that takes pretty good pictures, but I'm not terribly fond of the color cast it gives. I suppose each image sensor tends to reproduce colors differently.

  21. #1731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Man, those colors really pop. Did you do your triple exposure merge on all of those?
    Most of them, but not all. Really depends on the tonal range of the scene. If there is direct light, or very strong shadows (or both), multi-exposure is necessary to produce detail in the shadows. Each generation of sensors improves on this, but tech hasn't caught up with the dynamic range of the human eye yet...

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Do you use any color filters on the camera or in processing? I have a Nikon dslr that takes pretty good pictures, but I'm not terribly fond of the color cast it gives. I suppose each image sensor tends to reproduce colors differently.
    I set the white balance manually in LR, LR also will allow you to select what should be a neutral gray and use that as a guide. If you don't like the color cast, it's likely the white balance is what you don't like. I leave my camera set for auto, and then change it in post if needed or wanted. If it's color intensity/vibrancy/saturation then adding those is simple enough, but easily can be overdone. Every single photo I work on includes some increased saturation and contrast.

  22. #1732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Man, those colors really pop. Did you do your triple exposure merge on all of those?

    Do you use any color filters on the camera or in processing? I have a Nikon dslr that takes pretty good pictures, but I'm not terribly fond of the color cast it gives. I suppose each image sensor tends to reproduce colors differently.
    I also forgot to note that all of them are taken with a circular polarizer. Makes a large difference in saturation by eliminating some part of light reflections.

  23. #1733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    I also forgot to note that all of them are taken with a circular polarizer. Makes a large difference in saturation by eliminating some part of light reflections.
    The digital editing world has largely moved past me. But I can attest, a circular polarizer does wonders for saturation.

  24. #1734

    Default

    Out on another hike, but sadly without my dog. She picked up a nasty tick sometime on the weekend. I took her to the vet yesterday morning to have it removed because it was so engorged having fed on her for several days. I wanted to take a photo but just couldn't because it was too disgusting.

    On my own this afternoon and sticking to the path I happened upon this ominous scene:



    Crazy thing is I happened upon a similar scene a while ago in nearly the same spot of this trail.
    Last edited by tooblue; 05-10-2019 at 11:44 AM.

  25. #1735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    The digital editing world has largely moved past me.
    Youtube can fix that...pretty quickly

  26. #1736
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Out on another hike, but sadly without my dog. She picked up a nasty tick sometime on the weekend. I took her to the vet yesterday morning to have it removed because it was so engorged having fed on her for several days. I wanted to take a photo but just couldn't because it was too disgusting.

    On my own this afternoon and sticking to the path I happened upon this ominous scene:



    Crazy thing is I happened upon a similar scene a while ago in nearly the same spot of this trail.
    Is that your bootprint? Just don't go eating the kidneys raw and die of bubonic plague like the mensas in Mongolia did. https://www.newsweek.com/bubonic-pla...ngolia-1418885

  27. #1737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Is that your bootprint? Just don't go eating the kidneys raw and die of bubonic plague like the mensas in Mongolia did. https://www.newsweek.com/bubonic-pla...ngolia-1418885
    Damn marmots!

    That is not my boot print. It is someone else's who obviously walked right past the little critter. I have keen eyes and tend see things others don't. The other day, my dog ran right over the snake I photographed and never noticed it. Even after I stopped the dog sat down on the path and watched me as I got down on the ground to take photos wondering what the heck I was doing.
    Last edited by tooblue; 05-10-2019 at 02:39 PM.

  28. #1738

    Default

    Taking a break from the politics threads and finally getting around to processing some more Yellowstone images from dropping SF3 off for spring semester at BYU-I.



















    More to come...

  29. #1739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    Taking a break from the politics threads and finally getting around to processing some more Yellowstone images from dropping SF3 off for spring semester at BYU-I.



    More to come...
    Lovely ... that first Buffalo scene is awesome—what did that guy on the bike do?
    Last edited by tooblue; 05-12-2019 at 05:33 AM.

  30. #1740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Lovely ... that first Buffalo scene is awesome—what did that guy on the bike do?
    Waited, like everyone else. Eventually a ranger showed up. They use some kind of clicking noise that get the bison to move along. Often the road is the easiest route to get from point A to point B. You can get stuck for hours sometimes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •