Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1347

Thread: Official Photography Thread

  1. #1231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I need help if you've got it. I will be on the Bonneville Salt flats tomorrow. Unfortunately at sunset because I have other plans at sunrise. I want to take some ethereal photos, but so far I have had no luck. I will be taking my Nikon D40 and my Nikon D300 and my good fisheye lens (Nikon 16mm f2.8). Last time I took pictures there, they weren't very good. Kind of like this photo (which I didn't take and may be copyrighted):
    Attachment 8116

    I want to take something pictures more like these: (not taken by me)

    The photo looks backlit but I am mystified how.


    I think especially the second one is doable at sunset. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
    The second one is highly processed. Light is from upper left center (note the shadow on the water). Sky and hair highlights is overexposed/blown so that the processing to lighten the kids skin isn't too noisy. Total contrast is reduced. Blacks/shadows brought way up. Reverse vignette or possibly 2 separate gradients pulled in from the side.

    The 3rd would be much better if those silly people hadn't photobombed it. Can't they see that someone is trying to make a nice picture?

    Do you have an external flash? That third one is almost certainly taken with some flash fill. Probably 2 to 3 stops below metered exposure.

    You almost can't tell this is flashed. Light from upper right (see shadows).


    I don't do a lot of portraits, but I did find this brief set up instructions that expanded my view of what can be done with portraits.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/postprocess...t_this_effect/

    Also some tutorials here:
    https://jessicadrossin.com/

  2. #1232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I need help if you've got it. I will be on the Bonneville Salt flats tomorrow. Unfortunately at sunset because I have other plans at sunrise. I want to take some ethereal photos, but so far I have had no luck. I will be taking my Nikon D40 and my Nikon D300 and my good fisheye lens (Nikon 16mm f2.8). Last time I took pictures there, they weren't very good. Kind of like this photo (which I didn't take and may be copyrighted):
    Attachment 8116

    I want to take something pictures more like these: (not taken by me)

    The photo looks backlit but I am mystified how.


    I think especially the second one is doable at sunset. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
    I work with a lot of really good photographers, so I will take a stab:

    On top of being really good photographs to start with, there is post editing going on with second photo in particular. Lebowski is right: Photoshop! I would imagine each were carefully edited in RAW. There's a series of tutorials on the Web that show how to do it well. I just can't remember the best ones, but I'll ask a colleague to remind me of them next week, and come back here to link to them.

    I would guess the second one potentially involves a directional defused flash, so as to preserve the details in the shadows and mid tones of the couple without polluting the natural light from the sunset ... kinda like the image below, but not as drastic, in terms of set up etc:

    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...y-lighting.jpg

    The sunset is definitely edited in RAW, similarly to how I edited the sunset in my image. Avoid digitally increasing the exposure at all cost—get it right at the point of shot. Instead play with Shadows, Whites, Blacks, Clarity, Vibrance and Saturation in the RAW settings.

    Don't discount the possibility that the first image is backlit ... a tripod holding a light could be positioned behind the girl in the middle with her legs obscuring it. Though, I think it's the sun in late afternoon, and again there is a lot of post editing going on.
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-11-2017 at 06:16 PM.

  3. #1233
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I need help if you've got it. I will be on the Bonneville Salt flats tomorrow. Unfortunately at sunset because I have other plans at sunrise. I want to take some ethereal photos, but so far I have had no luck. I will be taking my Nikon D40 and my Nikon D300 and my good fisheye lens (Nikon 16mm f2.8). Last time I took pictures there, they weren't very good. Kind of like this photo (which I didn't take and may be copyrighted):
    Attachment 8116

    I want to take something pictures more like these: (not taken by me)

    The photo looks backlit but I am mystified how.


    I think especially the second one is doable at sunset. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
    My guess on the one you think is backlit that it is really mostly downlit, if you will, with a flash fill.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  4. #1234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    The photo looks backlit but I am mystified how..
    I've been on a number of professional shoots. One of the girls, on the right or the left, could be holding a light.

  5. #1235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    My guess on the one you think is backlit that it is really mostly downlit, if you will, with a flash fill.
    Could have an assistant holding a boom and a defused flash on the end of it ... like how we don't see the microphones hanging above actors.

    Edit: I don't think so ... too much work. There has to be a simpler answer.
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-11-2017 at 01:56 PM.

  6. #1236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    There are things I like about the HDR toning, and some I don't, but it's completely a preference thing. Having played with a lot of post-processing techniques (master of none), I'm a fan of blatant artistic license to treat the original as a starting point. I like what it did in the middle third of the photo, including the fence post. The bottom third with the flowers is just a bit too light for me and I don't care for the blue in the sky, I liked the purple better.

    Was the vignette from the original capture, or was it added in post?

    For composition, I'd get rid of the vignette (if possible), cut about 1/9th of the top off, and take 1/6 or so off on the right.

    Something like this (some minor adjustments made to the original with Google Photos):
    Vignette from the original capture. I like your cropping, I just tend to like a Wes Anderson symmetry aesthetic, especially when I take photos:


  7. #1237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Vignette from the original capture. I like your cropping, I just tend to like a Wes Anderson symmetry aesthetic, especially when I take photos:

    Thanks for the link. I need to revisit that concept, it seems most of the scenes use actual symmetry, color schemes, and finally artistic symmetry all working together. Much harder to control in a landscape, though carefully considering one's vantage point should help immensely. When I first looked at your picture, it was fence post center, flowers on the right, sun on the right, barbed wire fence and post on the right. Felt unbalanced, so giving it more space on the left of the post and putting the flowers in the corner helped balance it for my eye--though it still feels right heavy to me. Which is what makes art fun.


  8. #1238
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,321

    Default

    I noticed that as well- the post in the center of the picture. I would have framed it to the side- just like Swamp did in his crop.

    thanks for the advice on the Salt Flats picture.

  9. #1239

    Default

    Here's a bunch of different views of Haystack Rock and surroundings in Cannon Beach, OR. All of these are wide angle with the Canon EFS 10-18mm STM lens. It responds very, very well to post processing, especially sharpening. There were a million different options for background, foreground, light direction, etc. Moved around quite a bit for different perspectives. Landscapes like this just seem right with added processing contrast.

    I'm planning on printing one or two of these to hang on the wall and am having a very difficult time selecting from all of the options including previous posts.

    Highly stylized:


    Reflection:


    Pointing to nothing:


    Reflection in a curve:


    More reflection:


    Sunlit reflection:


    One of my favorites, love the symmetry of the clouds to the rocks:


    Clean look, removed about a dozen people in Photoshop:

  10. #1240
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    25,990

    Default

    My favorites are the first one (highly stylized) and the last two. If you are printing any, I would limit it to those 3 choices.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  11. #1241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    My favorites are the first one (highly stylized) and the last two. If you are printing any, I would limit it to those 3 choices.
    The second to last is on my shortlist, I think I want to print at least one 20 x 30 or 16 x 24, another one will likely by 12 x 18, or possibly 8 x 12. I was looking for one that features Haystack Rock for sure, there are several I posted earlier that are also in contention. I've been printing 4 x 6's at home to narrow it down. I'll probably ship my favorite half dozen to Costco to be printed 8 x 12 (which are $1.80 each) and then make a final selection from those for larger prints. I can't decide whether the stylized one would make a good large print or not. Thanks for the input. My Facebook album from this trip is approaching 200 images...and I still have almost 2 more full days to process.

  12. #1242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    The second to last is on my shortlist, I think I want to print at least one 20 x 30 or 16 x 24, another one will likely by 12 x 18, or possibly 8 x 12. I was looking for one that features Haystack Rock for sure, there are several I posted earlier that are also in contention. I've been printing 4 x 6's at home to narrow it down. I'll probably ship my favorite half dozen to Costco to be printed 8 x 12 (which are $1.80 each) and then make a final selection from those for larger prints. I can't decide whether the stylized one would make a good large print or not. Thanks for the input. My Facebook album from this trip is approaching 200 images...and I still have almost 2 more full days to process.
    I like the third to last image, but love the last image for the implied lines and eye movement in it. I'd hang it on my wall.
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-15-2017 at 04:29 PM.

  13. #1243
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,458

    Default

    Last night of my annual Lake Powell trip with the in-laws.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  14. #1244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Last night of my annual Lake Powell trip with the in-laws.

    That is lovely.

  15. #1245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I like the third to last image, but love the last image for the implied lines and eye movement in it. I'd hang it on my wall.
    Any opinions on taking the time to remove the footprints in the sand? Can't decide if the add or detract.

  16. #1246
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    Any opinions on taking the time to remove the footprints in the sand? Can't decide if the add or detract.
    Are there two sets or just one?!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  17. #1247
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    That is lovely.
    Thanks. One of these years I'll take a real camera.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  18. #1248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Are there two sets or just one?!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    there's 3 obvious lines of prints, plus some others not quite so obvious

  19. #1249
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    there's 3 obvious lines of prints, plus some others not quite so obvious
    Dwight was joking.

    I think you should keep them.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  20. #1250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Dwight was joking.

    I think you should keep them.
    Oh my, that was embarrassing...

  21. #1251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Last night of my annual Lake Powell trip with the in-laws.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wow

  22. #1252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    Any opinions on taking the time to remove the footprints in the sand? Can't decide if the add or detract.
    I am narrative focused—definitely leave them in. They tell a story.

  23. #1253

    Default

    Later morning after all of the landscape shots. Attached the big lens again and went after the birds.

    First up, Seagull with nesting material.


    Making a mess.


    Common Murre in blue (I think).

  24. #1254
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    Later morning after all of the landscape shots. Attached the big lens again and went after the birds.

    First up, Seagull with nesting material.


    Making a mess.


    Common Murre in blue (I think).
    Nice shot. But there's no such thing as a seagull.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  25. #1255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Nice shot. But there's no such thing as a seagull.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    California Gull?

  26. #1256

    Default

    A few more birds from the morning

    Pigeon Guillemot wingflap


    Gull with chicks


    Puffin/Gull synchronicities




    Puffin giving the gulls and eye-roll

  27. #1257

    Default

    Evening

    Long exposures: sunset, clouds, and water




    Colorized images






    Artistic? photoshop blur


    Black and White conversion

  28. #1258
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    8,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post

    Colorized images
    I think this is my favorite from this batch. I like the border between sky, earth, and sea.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  29. #1259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    I think this is my favorite from this batch. I like the border between sky, earth, and sea.
    Thanks. I quite like it too. When I took the initial image, it was about the getting the big sky and color reflected in the water. When I started playing with it in Lightroom I was originally thinking, meh, and then I got the tread marks to really pop out which got a whole lot of lines pointing at the furthest intersection and it changed what I was after. Highlighting slightly the curved tracks heading out of the frame was the final touch. I might pull this into the before/after thread, in addition to the lighting, contrast, and color changes, there's quite a bit of beach cleanup.

  30. #1260
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,321

    Default

    I have the same taste as Pelado- I like all the ones that he likes.

    In the first series, absolutely the penultimate one.

    In the bird series, I don't know why but if there is a lot of bird poop in the picture, I start feeling pukey.

    And your black and white conversion is fantastic. It feels very Frank Lloyd Wrightish. If you are familiar with the Prairie School Design for Architecture, your picture portrays several elements, including:

    Horizontal Lines
    Integration of House with Surrounding Landscape
    Restraint in decoration
    Horizontal bands of windows
    Low hanging porches and doors, which force the visitor to stoop upon entry, as if giving a brief blessing prior to coming in
    Grass evocative of prarie

    Back when I used to live in Montecito, our neighbor had a FLW designed home with those low, sweeping horizontal lines.
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 08-18-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •