X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice pics. The missus was born there.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
      These are a little more dramatic than I would typically go. Subjects from yesterday, though I've shared other outings to the same locations.
      Man, those clouds are really giving the crazy eyes. Very cool detail all around.

Comment

• Dwight Schrute - Except for the 4th photo which I hate, those are some SwampFrog level photos. You surely got your money's worth. I would be proud to claim any of your photos from the class.

Swampfrog: Please never never EVER lose your disdain for oversaturation.

My sister has a really good eye for framing photos, but as she lives in Hawaii with all those sunsets, she tends to go for the cheap oversaturation thrills in her social media posts. Needless to say, I really hate this and will take her under my wing in Paris. I am also taking an online iphone photography course (cost: $100) taught by this guy from Riga. All of the course content is available for free on the internet, but the $100 is totally worth it as he organizes the material and puts it in logical order, and spoonfeeds it to his students in a way that incorporates both technical and artistic elements. If you are a paying class member, you are able to join his school facebook group (currently with 33,000!!! members) to see the homework assignments of everyone else. 90% of all students apply that oversaturation pop to their photos, but the 10% that dont do this helps me to hold my nose. Also, 33,000 x $100 to some guy in Riga??>#$

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
          Dwight Schrute - Except for the 4th photo which I hate, those are some SwampFrog level photos. You surely got your money's worth. I would be proud to claim any of your photos from the class.

My sister has a really good eye for framing photos, but as she lives in Hawaii with all those sunsets, she tends to go for the cheap oversaturation thrills in her social media posts. Needless to say, I really hate this and will take her under my wing in Paris. I am also taking an online iphone photography course (cost: $100) taught by this guy from Riga. All of the course content is available for free on the internet, but the $100 is totally worth it as he organizes the material and puts it in logical order, and spoonfeeds it to his students in a way that incorporates both technical and artistic elements. If you are a paying class member, you are able to join his school facebook group (currently with 33,000!!! members) to see the homework assignments of everyone else. 90% of all students apply that oversaturation pop to their photos, but the 10% that dont do this helps me to hold my nose. Also, 33,000 x $100 to some guy in Riga??>#$

Now you're speaking my language.

Comment

• As I sit here and bitch about oversaturation, I am reminded of the losing battle that those wine enthusiasts fought (and lost) when they complained bitterly about those cheap young Napa Valley wines that overwhelmed the full bodied mature french wines in taste tests and in public reception "just because they are sweeter." I suspect I am on the losing side here.

Also, I am dismayed that on the new iphones you can bokeh-out anything you dont like in the background with the push of a button. No need to calculate depth of field anymore. Losing side. Totally.

Comment

Dwight Schrute - Except for the 4th photo which I hate, those are some SwampFrog level photos. You surely got your money's worth. I would be proud to claim any of your photos from the class.
              I have significant reservations about being a standard. A quick perusal of any of the major photography sites will quickly disabuse me of any delusions of grandeur.

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post

My sister has a really good eye for framing photos, but as she lives in Hawaii with all those sunsets, she tends to go for the cheap oversaturation thrills in her social media posts. Needless to say, I really hate this and will take her under my wing in Paris.
              The few shots where I process and add overdone saturated color also tend to get the best response on Instagram/Facebook. It's a very alluring temptation. I also resist the self-promotion on Instagram, I don't hashtag anything, just add locations. I don't know how artists and musicians manage to resist. The time investment in a photograph is pretty minimal (unless one is after a very specific location, species, or dynamic action) relative to painting or songwriting. Catering to public accolades is easy to do.

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              I am also taking an online iphone photography course (cost: $100) taught by this guy from Riga. All of the course content is available for free on the internet, but the $100 is totally worth it as he organizes the material and puts it in logical order, and spoonfeeds it to his students in a way that incorporates both technical and artistic elements. If you are a paying class member, you are able to join his school facebook group (currently with 33,000!!! members) to see the homework assignments of everyone else. 90% of all students apply that oversaturation pop to their photos, but the 10% that dont do this helps me to hold my nose. Also, 33,000 x $100 to some guy in Riga??>#$
              The phone cameras continue to improve and do what they are built for very well. I'm a believer that some interesting work is done under constrained conditions, with focal length being the most significant with phones.

Comment

• I'm not that much of a luddite. Lookee here what I got for m'birthday:

Moment1.jpg

and I'm fixing to get the macro and the filter mount (for my Hoya 62mm filters) this week.

Comment

Also, I am dismayed that on the new iphones you can bokeh-out anything you dont like in the background with the push of a button. No need to calculate depth of field anymore. Losing side. Totally.
                  There is great potential here in combining both optical and digital techniques for creating bokeh effects. Once the cameras begin registering distance information on all parts of an image, the sky is the limit as to what can be done via algorithm with very close imitation to ideal optical solutions.

I usually hate most iPhone digital bokeh unless the subject is completely isolated from the background to begin with. If there is any transition region, the effect becomes unnatural. It's the transition regions where the $$$ for lenses is. If it can be digitally created via software operating on a matrix of distance measurements gathered at capture time, we're going to see another revolution in creativity options.

Nothing is going to replace the super telephoto lenses however. I don't think the camera only platform is going away any time soon. Regardless of the quality of improved sensors, a bigger sensor will always gather more light.

Comment

There is great potential here in combining both optical and digital techniques for creating bokeh effects. Once the cameras begin registering distance information on all parts of an image, the sky is the limit as to what can be done via algorithm with very close imitation to ideal optical solutions.

I usually hate most iPhone digital bokeh unless the subject is completely isolated from the background to begin with. If there is any transition region, the effect becomes unnatural. It's the transition regions where the $$$ for lenses is. If it can be digitally created via software operating on a matrix of distance measurements gathered at capture time, we're going to see another revolution in creativity options.

Nothing is going to replace the super telephoto lenses however. I don't think the camera only platform is going away any time soon. Regardless of the quality of improved sensors, a bigger sensor will always gather more light.
                    Or, in other words, size does matter.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                      Or, in other words, size does matter.
                      IOW, there's no replacement for displacement
                      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• I'm a lot less knowledgeable than everyone else in this thread, but I asked for a replacement Camera for my 10 year old SLR for Christmas.

Well, my wife consulted with the photography instructor at the high school and she ended up getting me this:

https://www.pictureline.com/collecti...m-lenses-black

At first I was really disappointed that she got me a point and shoot instead of an SLR, but it has turned out to be great.

The picture quality is great, it is easier to get good shots in low light and the 4k video is excellent as well. Of course this is comparing it with a 10 year old camera.

Have any of you enthusiasts experimented much with the new point and shoot cameras? I guess enthusiasts call them mirrorless as to distinguish them from the crappy compact cameras.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                          I'm a lot less knowledgeable than everyone else in this thread, but I asked for a replacement Camera for my 10 year old SLR for Christmas.

Well, my wife consulted with the photography instructor at the high school and she ended up getting me this:

https://www.pictureline.com/collecti...m-lenses-black

At first I was really disappointed that she got me a point and shoot instead of an SLR, but it has turned out to be great.

The picture quality is great, it is easier to get good shots in low light and the 4k video is excellent as well. Of course this is comparing it with a 10 year old camera.

Have any of you enthusiasts experimented much with the new point and shoot cameras? I guess enthusiasts call them mirrorless as to distinguish them from the crappy compact cameras.
                          That's a micro four thirds (MFT) interchangeable lens camera. Not a point and shoot at all. It has an electronic viewfinder instead of optical as in a DSLR, but the rest of the camera works the same as a DSLR. The MFT is a recent 4x3 sensor supported by multiple vendors. Panasonic and Olympus are the major players, and their lenses are interchangeable. Mirrorless is the future of digital cameras, always has been. The major high volume players all have mirrorless options. Olympus just released a $3K professional grade body for the system. My FIL has one that I haven't got to play with, but he has the previous generation Olympus body, and it's quite good for what it does. The smaller sensor allows for smaller lenses, but it's difficult to get the nice bokeh effects that a full frame (35mm equivalent) sensor gives you.

Comment

That's a micro four thirds (MFT) interchangeable lens camera. Not a point and shoot at all. It has an electronic viewfinder instead of optical as in a DSLR, but the rest of the camera works the same as a DSLR. The MFT is a recent 4x3 sensor supported by multiple vendors. Panasonic and Olympus are the major players, and their lenses are interchangeable. Mirrorless is the future of digital cameras, always has been. The major high volume players all have mirrorless options. Olympus just released a $3K professional grade body for the system. My FIL has one that I haven't got to play with, but he has the previous generation Olympus body, and it's quite good for what it does. The smaller sensor allows for smaller lenses, but it's difficult to get the nice bokeh effects that a full frame (35mm equivalent) sensor gives you.
                            That's a very good camera beefytee, and as swamp points out it is definitely not a point and shoot. If interested you can buy an adapter that allows you to use virtually any lens from Cannon to Nikon etc. My son recently purchased a Sony A6300, and it is an amazing mirrorless camera for the price ($600). Light weight, incredible video and great stills using any lens is worth the investment.

Comment

• Yeah. I knew some would object to me calling it a point and shoot. That's why I put the disclaimer at the end.

While some of the interface is more complex and took some time to figure out, once I got everything set the way I like it, it has been as easy as a point and shoot for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                                That's a very good camera beefytee, and as swamp points out it is definitely not a point and shoot. If interested you can buy an adapter that allows you to use virtually any lens from Cannon to Nikon etc. My son recently purchased a Sony A6300, and it is an amazing mirrorless camera for the price ($600). Light weight, incredible video and great stills using any lens is worth the investment.
                                I may have to check out the adapter. I've been happy with the 2 lenses that came with it, but I have this lense that would offer me more zoom than the 45-150mm lense that came with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X