Official Photography Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I always check this thread when I've seen that you've posted to it.
    I had been previously aware of the phrases "glutton for punishment" and "definition of insanity", thank you for showing how they can be used simultaneously.

Comment

• I also check this thread when I see you have posted - you've taken some great shots

Thnx for sharing them.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Saw some images from this book. Reminds me of some of Swamp's night photos ...

http://www.powerhousebooks.com/books/detroit-nocturne/

A Detroit Nocturne

In a continuation of Dave Jordano’s critically-acclaimed Detroit: Unbroken Down (powerHouse Books, 2015) which documented the lives of struggling residents, A Detroit Nocturne is an artist’s book not of people this time, but instead the places within which they live and work: structures, dwellings, and storefronts.

Comment

• A few more from the same location as the osprey nest.

Comment

• From "Rocky Butte" in Portland on a mostly overcast, hazy day. Need to get back up there when it's clear.

Comment

• Summer at the refuge. Hatchlings and songbirds. Still need to find a way to afford the really long Canon glass.

Comment

• And a few requisite fireworks images:

Comment

• My first attempt at capturing stars (don't have a remote switch, so I had to bring my laptop and tether trigger the shots using Lightroom):

Hay Rolls with different processing techniques:

Last edited by tooblue; 07-05-2018, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                    Hay Rolls with different processing techniques:

This one I really like.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                      My first attempt at capturing stars (don't have a remote switch, so I had to bring my laptop and tether trigger the shots using Lightroom):

I like the stars. How far from civilization did you have to get to avoid light pollution? And how long was your exposure? It's interesting to see a little blur to the stars and the light trace of an airplane.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                        I like the stars. How far from civilization did you have to get to avoid light pollution? And how long was your exposure? It's interesting to see a little blur to the stars and the light trace of an airplane.
                        I was wondering the same things.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                          I am about 3 hours north of Toronto at our cottage. I took the shots out on a country road where there was no light pollution, not even from a nearby farm house or barn (scouting out the location earlier in the day).

A couple of different blogs provided 'how-to' instruction. Not having my trip-pod with me, or a remote switch made it challenging. Instead, I fixed my camera upright on my camera bag, on the hood of my car.

With my laptop (also on the hood of the car) connected to the camera via usb, I turned off the backlight on my keyboard, positioned the cursor arrow over the digital trigger button in Lightroom, dimmed my monitor to black, blindly clicking the button on screen with the track pad when I was ready.

Basically, most of the advice I read suggested the following for manual mode:

ISO: 1600
                          F2.5
                          25" (25 second exposure)

*important edit: turn off auto focus and image stabilization and manually set focus to infinity*

Since my 24-105mm lense can't do F2.5, but can open to F4.0 it was recommended I up the exposure time to 30" (30 seconds).

The night before I sat out on our deck lake side where there is more light pollution and got this shot (my actual first attempt). The settings were: ISO 1600, F4.0 but in this instance I held the camera still in my lap, seated in an Adirondack chair, shooting in Bulb mode and holding down the shutter button counting to thirty in my head:

Last edited by tooblue; 07-05-2018, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• Infinite Stars, Infinite Atonement, Infinite Dimensions.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                              This one I really like.
                              The lighter streaks are from the setting sun going down behind tall trees

Comment

• One more star shot but from lakeside last night. This is the first image of a planned 90 image (3 sec) time lapse video I attempted. I thought it would take 45 minutes to get all of the images, but I didn't allow for enough time for each image to be saved to my hard-drive before the next shot was triggered, and ended up with only 45 images instead of 90. I'll process what I got and make the short video clip later this week:

Last edited by tooblue; 07-07-2018, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X