Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Prefer Duclinea to Fear.
    I actually do too but Fear was Toad's Dookie.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
      Sublime is one of the most overrated artists of the nineties. Offspring is one of the most underrated.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I actually do too but Fear was Toad's Dookie.
        Agreed on that.

But what is Green Day's In Light Syrup?
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Agreed on that.

But what is Green Day's In Light Syrup?
          I love In Light Syrup. Little Heaven, All in All, and All She Said are among my favorite Toad songs. I love the way All She Said builds.

Comment

They mined the reggae/ska thing and it was cool for about six songs. After that it got old in a hurry unless you were sparking up.

Stick with SP. They deserve every accolade they got.
            I was thinking the same thing about the Offspring. They transformed a few times and had some fun songs, but I really feel like they really really really made lemonade out of the lemons they were given. Sublime barely got off the ground before Bradley Nowell was gone; they didn't even have a successful release until after he was already gone. Yeah he did that ska/dub style, but it was also punk and hip hop- he really was a fantastic talent-- more of a singer/songwriter than some one-trick-pony ska hack (and lord knows there were plenty of those in the 90s). I think he would have had a long, prosperous run. It's hard for me to say they're 'overrated' by any stretch. Yes they are beloved, but they were also great.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I love In Light Syrup. Little Heaven, All in All, and All She Said are among my favorite Toad songs. I love the way All She Said builds.
              All She Said is excellent. I also love Are We Afraid from that album.

In a general but related comment, most of Todd's songs are criminally underappreciated.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

one previously not mentioned is STP Core.

As said above, the work of the Beastie Boys from Paul's Boutique (maybe the most influential rap album of all time) through Ill Communication is incredible.

I know Oasis was big in the 90s but on a personal note I hated everything about them. Every.Single.Thing. fuck that group
                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

No Doubt...man I had such a thing for early Gwen...

Comment

All She Said is excellent. I also love Are We Afraid from that album.

In a general but related comment, most of Todd's songs are criminally underappreciated.
                    When they come in concert I always try to find a couple of friends who are dismissive of them. They always come away shocked at the depth of their music and catalogue.

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                      one previously not mentioned is STP Core.
                      I loved STP in the 90s. Some people have bagged on them for being a bit derivative, but teenage me didn't know and current me doesn't care. I found this bit on wikipedia about the band's formation funny:

DeLeo met Scott Weiland (who would eventually become lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots) at a Black Flag concert in Long Beach. They soon realized that they were both dating the same woman. After she moved to Texas, Weiland and DeLeo moved into her San Diego apartment, where they tried to form a band. They eventually hooked up with drummer Eric Kretz, and DeLeo managed to convince his brother Dean to play guitar in their new band. The band took the name Mighty Joe Young. They played many gigs around LA bars, and were eventually signed onto Atlantic Records in 1992. However, the name "Mighty Joe Young" had already been taken, so the band was forced to change their name to "Shirley Temple's Pussy" and then "Stone Temple Pilots" which has no specific meaning, according to Weiland other than that it retained the STP initials.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yes they were derivative, but they did it really well. Just because they were heavily influenced by Seattle doesn't mean they don't hold up to anything that came out of Seattle short of Nirvana.

Comment

I heard them called Stone Gossard Pirates (in reference to Pearl Jam's guitarist) early on by... Nirvana, I think or somebody. I'm pretty sure that was because of the Eddy Vedder impression dude seemed to be doing in the early days, but they really came into their own. Great band.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            I heard them called Stone Gossard Pirates (in reference to Pearl Jam's guitarist) early on by... Nirvana, I think or somebody. I'm pretty sure that was because of the Eddy Vedder impression dude seemed to be doing in the early days, but they really came into their own. Great band.
                            They were shit on when they first came on the scene, but they emerged as pretty brilliant and absolutely stand the test of time. Billy said this about them when Scott passed:

After the death of Scott Weiland, Smashing Pumpkins singer Billy Corgan paid official tribute to the band and musician, calling him one of the greatest voices of their generation:

"It was, I'd guess you'd say, my way of apology for having been so critical of STP when they appeared on the scene like some crazy, man-fueled rocket. And not only was the knight up front freshly handsome to a fault, but he could sing too! As any supreme actor gives a real and different voice to each character played. It was STP's 3rd album that had got me hooked, a wizardly mix of glam and post-punk, and I confessed to Scott, as well as the band many times, how wrong I'd been in assessing their native brilliance. And like Bowie can and does, it was Scott's phrasing that pushed his music into a unique, and hard to pin down, aesthetic sonicsphere. Lastly, I'd like to share a thought which though clumsy, I hope would please Scott In Hominum. And that is if you asked me who I truly believed were the great voices of our generation, I'd say it were he, Layne, and Kurt."[83]

Comment

No Doubt...man I had such a thing for early Gwen...
                              I saw them open for 311 at the Omni in Atlanta in March of 1996. I had amazing tickets, maybe 10 rows back, but back then everyone stood up the whole show anyway. I had always had the impression that she was a tiny little thing, but she's probably around 5'5" or so. I didn't have a thing for her until I saw that show. After that, I had a newfound respect for any artist will to sew themselves into a one-piece all leather jumpsuit and then perform under lights for a half hour. Also, she was very attractive.
                              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

They were shit on when they first came on the scene, but they emerged as pretty brilliant and absolutely stand the test of time. Billy said this about them when Scott passed:
                                If by “third album” he means Tiny Music, then I agree. I love that album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X