Smashing Pumpkins new album....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I'm not sure it is a top 10er, but I listed To August and Everything After non-stop on a CD player with crappy speakers for one semester at The Glenwood.
    I forgot about CC. Also Green Day Dookie should probably be near the top.

Comment

Man I forgot about Rage and Sublime. There really was just an embarrassment of riches. I didn't even broach the Beastie's 90s contributions-- I forgot about Ill Communication which is nothing short of genius and has to be in my 90s top 5. Of course Check Your Head and Hello Nasty were amazing, too.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        I forgot about CC. Also Green Day Dookie should probably be near the top.
        But, don't you think that Nimrod is just a better rock album, musically and lyrically? Give it a listen...don't think with nostalgia, but as a musician. I've always thought that the songs from Nimrod were their best work. As for Toad the Wet Sprocket, "Crazy Life" will always be my favorite by them.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

dookie >>>>>>>>>>>>>> nimrod
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
            Man I forgot about Rage and Sublime. There really was just an embarrassment of riches. I didn't even broach the Beastie's 90s contributions-- I forgot about Ill Communication which is nothing short of genius and has to be in my 90s top 5. Of course Check Your Head and Hello Nasty were amazing, too.
            I based my list on what I still listen to all the time. Pearl Jam Vs or Ten should probably be on there somewhere for "Greatness" but I don't really listen to the albums anymore, just certain songs, like "Elderly Woman [...]." Also, the RHCP had hits, but their albums were always uneven for me, but Pandora and Spotify believe that the Chili Peppers are my favorite band. Tom Petty had some good albums, but they weren't incredible. But, "Mary Jane's Last Dance" is certainly among the Top 20 singles.

But, after "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as LORD OF LORDS, what is the song of the decade? The 1980's is "Billie Jean" or "Don't Stop Believin.'" No one's gonna argue those. But, the 1990's...I don't know, after the obvious winner?

Candidates (and the criteria is that you still listen to them and like them, not just how big they were then):

"What I Got" Sublime
            "Wonderwall" Oasis
            "Rosa Parks" Outkast
            "Loser" Beck

One of my favorite lines in any song ever is in "Loser." "Saving all your food stamps and burnin' down the trailer park." Having worked in fast food for 11 years, having lived in Appalachia for almost the entirety of my youth, with more than half of my neighbors in trailers, including myself for four of my first five years----am I the only Cuffer to have lived in a trailer? (and no, your mission doesn't count)----and having known many, many people with that mindset, that line of the song has never failed to at least bring the hint of a smile to my lips.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              am I the only Cuffer to have lived in a trailer? (and no, your mission doesn't count)
              don't we have some people from southeastern idaho on here?

Comment

I based my list on what I still listen to all the time. Pearl Jam Vs or Ten should probably be on there somewhere for "Greatness" but I don't really listen to the albums anymore, just certain songs, like "Elderly Woman [...]." Also, the RHCP had hits, but their albums were always uneven for me, but Pandora and Spotify believe that the Chili Peppers are my favorite band. Tom Petty had some good albums, but they weren't incredible. But, "Mary Jane's Last Dance" is certainly among the Top 20 singles.

But, after "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as LORD OF LORDS, what is the song of the decade? The 1980's is "Billie Jean" or "Don't Stop Believin.'" No one's gonna argue those. But, the 1990's...I don't know, after the obvious winner?

Candidates (and the criteria is that you still listen to them and like them, not just how big they were then):

"What I Got" Sublime
                "Wonderwall" Oasis
                "Rosa Parks" Outkast
                "Loser" Beck

One of my favorite lines in any song ever is in "Loser." "Saving all your food stamps and burnin' down the trailer park." Having worked in fast food for 11 years, having lived in Appalachia for almost the entirety of my youth, with more than half of my neighbors in trailers, including myself for four of my first five years----am I the only Cuffer to have lived in a trailer? (and no, your mission doesn't count)----and having known many, many people with that mindset, that line of the song has never failed to at least bring the hint of a smile to my lips.
                Obviously, Smells like was the most influential and will always top any list for years to come. After that, I would guess most rock critics would put "Loser", "Jeremy" or "My Name is..." For me personally I would put "Wonderwall" and "Good Riddance"; I will never turn off either of those when I hear them.

Comment

has to be wonderwall, but opinions will be colored by hearing it approximately fifty times per day for the last 20 years

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    don't we have some people from southeastern idaho on here?
                    fuck you!!
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

fuck you!!

Comment

But, don't you think that Nimrod is just a better rock album, musically and lyrically? Give it a listen...don't think with nostalgia, but as a musician. I've always thought that the songs from Nimrod were their best work. As for Toad the Wet Sprocket, "Crazy Life" will always be my favorite by them.
                        Nimrod was awesome but it didn't have the impact of Dookie. Dookie restarted the pop punk movement.

Crazy Life is one of my top two or three Toad songs. I've played it live many times.

Comment

Sublime is one of the most overrated artists of the nineties. Offspring is one of the most underrated.

Comment

Sublime is one of the most overrated artists of the nineties. Offspring is one of the most underrated.

Comment

I'm going to throw Toad the Wet Sprocket's Fear, Gin Blossoms' New Miserable Experience, and Collective Soul's Collective Soul.
                              Prefer Duclinea to Fear.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

They mined the reggae/ska thing and it was cool for about six songs. After that it got old in a hurry unless you were sparking up.

Stick with SP. They deserve every accolade they got.

Comment

Working...
                                X