Smashing Pumpkins new album....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smashing Pumpkins new album....

The first song is out! Listen here, P.M. me for a d/l link!

http://www.spinner.com/2009/12/07/sm...song-premiere/

check it... Billy, I guess miffed that everyone forgot that he first gave away Machina 2 when Radiohead gave away In Rainbows seven years later, does this..:

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/page...pumpkins-album

"I'm happy to finally announce the plans for the new Smashing Pumpkins album.

Recording began yesterday, September 15th, 2009 on the new record which will be entitled 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope'. The album will feature 44 songs, 4 of which are now being recorded. My desire is to release a song at a time beginning around Halloween of this year, with each new release coming shortly after until all 44 are out. Each song will be made available absolutely for free, to anyone anywhere. There will be no strings attached. Free will mean free, which means you won't have to sign up for anything, give an email address, or jump through a hoop. You will be able to go and take the song or songs as you wish, as many times as you wish.

We will however sell highly limited edition EP's (of 4 songs each times 11), and details of how those EP's will be made available are still being worked out. Because the songs themselves will be free, the EP's will be more like collectors items for the discerning fan who will want the art itself, along with the highest possible audio quality available. The EP's will be more like mini-box sets rather than your normal cd single. We may also offer other variations for sale, say for example a digital single with a demo version of a song. The commitment that is most important is the one I'm making to you: that the music of 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope' will be available for free to everyone. All 44 songs: free for ALL.

When the entire album is finished, it will be compiled into a deluxe box set which will also be made available for sale. Those who have bought the EP's need not worry, as the box set will not be a recompilation of the limited edition pieces.

The story of the album is based on 'The Fool's Journey', as signified in the progress of the Tarot. It is my intention to approach this by breaking down the journey of our life here into four phases as made by these different characters; the Child, the Fool, the Skeptic, and the Mystic.

The music of 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope' harkens back to the original psychedelic roots of The Smashing Pumpkins: atmospheric, melodic, heavy, and pretty.

I already have 53 songs written for the record, so I am quite confident that I already have much of the material that I would need to undertake such an extensive project. I am very committed to seeing this album through to its completion and very, very excited about the prospect of delivering new Smashing Pumpkins music to you in a unique and exciting way."

I'm pretty stoked about this.
    Last edited by Commando; 12-07-2009, 12:19 PM.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

I think that's because everybody forgot about Billy in general 7 years ago.

Just teasin'...we've already been down this road, IR was not about being free. Free has been done a million times.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

ha I think I like the format idea most of all. Nobody but fans pay for the music anyway, so why not make the actual album for sale awesome enough that only a fan could appreciate it enough to pay for the full package? Everyone else can just listen if they want at their leisure no strings attached.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Seems pretty ambitious, but there's still just something in me that doesn't like the idea of songs being thrown out there, or really EPs for that matter. I guess I just love the singularly crafted LP too much.

Radiohead has put out some stuff recently, but what am I supposed to do with one song here and there? I don't get it. Thom is about to release two more songs, so that puts the recent total at 5. I guess I'll throw them together as something of an EP, but even then, it still not much to listen to.

Guess I'll just have to wait until 2010 or '11 or whenever the hell they put out a new album to get excited.

Comment

I guess the reasoning behind recording this way (although I love a full LP to digest all at once, too) is to give each song the studio treatment it deserves. He has often lamented that some of his favorite or best written songs were rushed and not given the proper attention or interpretation due to the various pressures of studio or record company deadlines.

(I would counter that some of his best songs were mostly ruined by overproduction -- see Machina/The Machines of God-- the demos were amazing, but the final product super dense, crunchy, and semi-indigestible.)

His other point was that a band kills itself in a studio for eight months cramming, recording, grinding, and dying from lack of sunlight with no outside feedback. He mentioned that the monster recording sessions for Mellon Collie, for example, was almost enough to end the band. I think these pressures were basically Radiohead's complaint about making a full album and the tedium required for such. I honestly think that a new, hungry band is willing to make that sacrifice as many times as they need to and older "fatter" bands feel like they're past that. Ok fine, as long as we get our music.

Anyway, the point being that, having now been freed of any and all artificial restraint (record company, financial restrictions), he can put out the album he wants to put out that cannot "fail." This album is going to be extremely similar in scope (mellon collie sessions produced 57 tracks out of which 28 were used on the album and most of the rest on the b-sides box set The Aeroplane Flies High). Billy's got the songwriting chops to top past efforts, and he's over the Metal phase and back onto that kick ass pumpkins psychedelia. I have high hopes for this album.

Comment

The first song is out! Listen here, P.M. me for a d/l link!

http://www.spinner.com/2009/12/07/sm...song-premiere/

<object width="300" height="563"><param name="movie" value= "http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/player/artistPlayer.swf"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/player/artistPlayer.swf" allowscriptaccess="always" width="300" height="563"></embed></object>
            Last edited by Commando; 12-07-2009, 09:32 PM.

Comment

OK, SP heads, (both of you, pay attention)... the next chapter of Teargarden is coming June 19th in LP form. I guess the one-song-at-a-time format was really difficult to promote in places like Europe, where nobody had any idea they had new material out when they toured there. Having seen many of the new songs live, I am pretty sure this album will be the best since Adore (production values willing...)

Behold, Oceania...

Comment

This album features one of my favorite SP songs to come along in a very long time:

[YOUTUBE]XvNQSvH6Z8w[/YOUTUBE]
                Last edited by Commando; 04-27-2012, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I didn't listen to the new SP record. But I saw this interview with Billy a couple weeks ago on Carson Daly's show where he was talking about the influence of The Beatles and mentioned that 80% of current music is still somwhere in the scope between Love Me Do and Helter Skelter. Not that I needed another reminder how awesome The Beatles were, but it was a cool comment.

Comment

As long as we're talking about SP, I have to say the re-releases are some of the best I've ever seen by any band. Billy's a very meticulous curator of his own material, and just about every show, rehearsal, and demo exists somewhere on near soundboard quality. The Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness reissue comes out in December and I am blown away by what he's put together. Four extra discs of bonus material, elaborate artwork along with concept art.. You have to be shitting me. And The Aeroplane Flies High is still coming out next year!

Comment

Commando,

I thought you'd get a kick out of this double-your-favorite-bands combo punch I got in for you today. In between classes, three of my students were talking about this "new" band they had discovered from "gross" 90's music. One goes, "Yeah, Weezer is the only good band from the 90's." At that point, I had to interject.

"Hey now, while I love Weezer a lot, there are lots of other great bands from the 1990's."
                      --Yeah, like who?
                      --Well, for starters, Nirvana, Green Day, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Sublime, Outkast, and Smashing Pumpkins."
                      --Smashing Pumpkins? What do they have like one good song?
                      --(about choking on the Coke Zero I was sipping) ONE GOOD SONG?? They had several hits...(I begin singing the opening lines of "Bullet with Butterfly Wings")
                      --I hate that song.
                      --Well, I guess that life's a bummer when you're a hummer.
                      --Huh?
                      --What about Wu Tang Clan?
                      --Who?
                      --(thinking to myself....don't say it....don't say it....don't say it).
                      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        Commando,

I thought you'd get a kick out of this double-your-favorite-bands combo punch I got in for you today. In between classes, three of my students were talking about this "new" band they had discovered from "gross" 90's music. One goes, "Yeah, Weezer is the only good band from the 90's." At that point, I had to interject.

"Hey now, while I love Weezer a lot, there are lots of other great bands from the 1990's."
                        --Yeah, like who?
                        --Well, for starters, Nirvana, Green Day, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Sublime, Outkast, and Smashing Pumpkins."
                        --(about choking on the Coke Zero I was sipping) ONE GOOD SONG?? They had several hits...(I begin singing the opening lines of "Bullet with Butterfly Wings")
                        --I hate that song.
                        --Huh?
                        --Who?
                        Hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Commando,

--Yeah, like who?
                          --I hate that song.
                          --Huh?
                          --Who?
                          lol What a bunch of nincompoops. It's almost a cliche now how much better music was in the 90s than the two decades that followed. Oh btw I'm 85% sure Rick Rubin is in the studio w the Pumpkins right now.
                          Last edited by Commando; 01-31-2018, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            lol What a bunch of nincompoops. It's almost a cliche now how much better music was in the 90s than the two decades that followed. Oh btw I'm 85% sure Rick Rubin is in the studio w the Pumpkins right now.
                            At least Billy Corgin won't let Rubin nerf him.

Also, did you know what the "it" was?
                            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Commando,

--Yeah, like who?
                              --I hate that song.
                              --Huh?
                              --Who?
                              I will be forever upset at you for not saying it. You should have said it. You owed it to the memory of the Ol' Dirty Bastard to say it.
                              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                              X