No announcement yet.

Smashing Pumpkins new album....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I have more time, I will give my 10 favorite albums, but two I haven't seen mentioned are

Alice in Chains-Dirt. Dark grunge that come out in a dark time of my life. The opening Lyrics and guitar of "Angry Chair" can still chill my skin

Live-Throwing Cooper. "I Alone" most accurately reflects my views on religion at that time, and for a great majority of my life.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
      When I have more time, I will give my 10 favorite albums, but two I haven't seen mentioned are

Alice in Chains-Dirt. Dark grunge that come out in a dark time of my life. The opening Lyrics and guitar of "Angry Chair" can still chill my skin

Live-Throwing Cooper. "I Alone" most accurately reflects my views on religion at that time, and for a great majority of my life.
      Originally posted by falafel View Post
      I'm going to add Live's Throwing Copper to the list. Listening now. Still holds up very well, imo. Really good album. Lightening Crashes is a near perfect song.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        An addendum to my picks. My favorite album of the nineties was not a huge commercial success but it's awesome and still holds up to this day. The Refreshments - Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy. I highly recommend it. Killer all the way through.
        Was this the band that did the song that is used as the theme for King of the Hill?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
          An addendum to my picks. My favorite album of the nineties was not a huge commercial success but it's awesome and still holds up to this day. The Refreshments - Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy. I highly recommend it. Killer all the way through.
          I love that album. "Mekong" is on almost all of my spotify playlists.
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
            Live at Pompeii
            If I ever decide to do drugs, that's the album for me, boys. Live at Pompeii. I assume you've watched the movies...right?
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
              Pavement is indescribably good. Outside of "Cut Your Hair" I really didn't listen to them much until the 2000s. But once I gave them a serious look they blew me away. Stephen Malkmus laid the groundwork for almost every American indie band that arose after 1994.

Billy Corgan is such an interesting character. He almost seems like a megalomaniac who thinks everyone is persecuting him. Most musical geniuses are control freaks with the music, but he seemed to want to control stuff beyond the music. The stuff that Pajo and Lenchantin said happened during the Zwan project is crazy.

He does come off that way, but I don't think that's it. I think what it really is is that he's straight up clinical O.C.D. If he's OCD he's going back into the studio at night to re-record parts they already recorded, etc... a hyper vigilant person can drive those around him nuts.

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                If I ever decide to do drugs, that's the album for me, boys. Live at Pompeii. I assume you've watched the movies...right?
                OH hell yes. You mean this?

Was there more than one movie? Btw, I want to shoot the breakdown groove that begins around the 6 minute mark directly into my veins.

Comment

How has no one mentioned D'Angelo - Brown Sugar?

Also great call on DJ Shadow Endtroducing.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                    He does come off that way, but I don't think that's it. I think what it really is is that he's straight up clinical O.C.D. If he's OCD he's going back into the studio at night to re-record parts they already recorded, etc... a hyper vigilant person can drive those around him nuts.

Interesting. I could see that. HE seems to have a recognition of his problems. This interview was post Zwan. I wonder if he has made amends with anyone in that band since.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                      Was this the band that did the song that is used as the theme for King of the Hill?
                      Yes.

They now function as Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. They have been a successful recording and touring band ever since The Refreshments broke up. Some of their albums are also stellar. I recommend starting with Americano. The Peacemakers mine the southwest theme a bit more and do a music festival in Rocky Point every year. I went once and it was a blast.

Comment

OH hell yes. You mean this?

Was there more than one movie? Btw, I want to shoot the breakdown groove that begins around the 6 minute mark directly into my veins.
                        No, that's the one; my buddy had it on a VHS tape he got off a UHF channel late one Saturday night. Regarding the musical morphonics...I experienced it too, and I feel something similar about 10 seconds after "Polythene Pam" gives way to "She Came in through the Bathroom Window," on Abbey Road, and in "Hummer" when the song changes right after the best Pumpkins line ever, "Life's a bummer, when you're a hummer." There's just something that you feel that takes away all that angst and hurt and like the Offspring said, "soothes even the savage beast."

There's also something there in Steppenwolf when "Magic Carpet Ride" comes back from the extended solo.

Comment

• live at pompeii is a spiritual experience. dave gilmour floyd >>>>>> syd floyd
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Interesting. I could see that. HE seems to have a recognition of his problems. This interview was post Zwan. I wonder if he has made amends with anyone in that band since.
                            I don't think so. He recently had a kid and that seemed to really jar him out of the naval gazing; he called up and made amends with James and D'arcy from SP. Baby steps.

I listened to the Matt Sweeney appearance on the Marc Maron WTF podcast. He said that Billy woke up one day and decided he hated him (and they had been friends since pre-SP success). So there is weird stuff going on in Billy's head obviously.

I also heard Billy's version from right after zwan broke up where he said he got fed up with band members bringing coke on tour to Europe, sleeping with each other, being immoral, sending his girlfriend shitty texts from his blackberry as a joke, etc. I thought that was a weird line of critique since he's besties with Marilyn Manson. It's too bad-- the early days of zwan were pretty exciting b/c of the music coming out at the live shows and the promise of all kinds of weird tangential albums coming out because of the talented weirdos involved.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              live at pompeii is a spiritual experience. dave gilmour floyd >>>>>> syd floyd
                              The Pink Floyd 1970 to 1973 era is by far my favorite. I like the quirkiness of Syd Barrett. Its very childlike psychedelia. I also love WYWH and Animals, but Water's destroys the band quickly afterwards. A Waters-less PF isn't much better.

I love the live stuff from bootlegs during the early 70s. A lot of this is now available with the Early Years compilations released last year. Although not on any other compilation, this is one of my favorite live PF performances:

Btw, there isn't an ounce of integrity left from the original subject on this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                                I don't think so. He recently had a kid and that seemed to really jar him out of the naval gazing; he called up and made amends with James and D'arcy from SP. Baby steps.

I listened to the Matt Sweeney appearance on the Marc Maron WTF podcast. He said that Billy woke up one day and decided he hated him (and they had been friends since pre-SP success). So there is weird stuff going on in Billy's head obviously.

I also heard Billy's version from right after zwan broke up where he said he got fed up with band members bringing coke on tour to Europe, sleeping with each other, being immoral, sending his girlfriend shitty texts from his blackberry as a joke, etc. I thought that was a weird line of critique since he's besties with Marilyn Manson. It's too bad-- the early days of zwan were pretty exciting b/c of the music coming out at the live shows and the promise of all kinds of weird tangential albums coming out because of the talented weirdos involved.
                                I mean can you blame the band members from wanting to sleep with Paz?

Comment

Working...
                                X