Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    +1

I'm tracking the daily new US cases here. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries Yesterday 4,824 was down from previous day 5,594 but today's number is blowing it away. Right now says 8,149. But an hour ago it said 14K. Was there a restatement of new cases? I'm still utterly confused by India's numbers. Total cases 396 and new cases bouncing around 50-80 with no exponential growth trend.
    With India on China’s doorstep how do we explain that? Russia also seems to have not hit very hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
      Reports are that Paul was still hanging out with his fellow senators at the Senate pool and lunchroom while awaiting results from his test

Rand Paul can ESAD & then GFH.

Last edited by myboynoah; 03-22-2020, 03:43 PM.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
        Sorry, but pretty hard to not have Trump come up in this thread as he is the POTUS and his response has played into all of this. Not to mention his daily press conferences.
        Sure. But if it’s going to devolve into an election discussion, take it over there.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            With India on China’s doorstep how do we explain that?
            China (Wuhan) hasn't had new cases for days. It's all good there.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Excellent interview here with a real expert on viruses and pandemics.

The doctor who helped defeat smallpox explains what’s coming

When will we be able to leave the house and go back to work?

I have a very good retrospect-oscope, but what's needed right now as a prospecto-scope. If this were a tennis match, I would say advantage virus right now. But there's really good news from South Korea—they had less than 100 cases today. China had more cases imported than it had from continuous transmission from Wuhan today. The Chinese model will be very hard for us to follow. We're not going to be locking people up in their apartments, boarding them up. But the South Korea model is one that we could follow. Unfortunately, it requires doing the proportionate number of tests that they did—they did well over a quarter of a million tests. In fact, by the time South Korea had done 200,000 tests, we had probably done less than 1,000.

Now that we've missed the opportunity for early testing, is it too late for testing to make a difference?

Absolutely not. Tests would make a measurable difference. We should be doing a stochastic process random probability sample of the country to find out where the hell the virus really is. Because we don't know. Maybe Mississippi is reporting no cases because it's not looking. How would they know? Zimbabwe reports zero cases because they don't have testing capability, not because they don't have the virus. We need something that looks like a home pregnancy test, that you can do at home.
              Why don't we just test everyone?

Comment

The spiking daily numbers in the U.S. are a product of finally testing in earnest. It is out there and we are finding it. Korea displayed the same pattern. But Korea started aggressive testing with it's first case.

As for India, it could be that it is there but India has an insufficient testig protocol and healthcare system to capture the scale of the infection. How many tests have been done in India? Or, hopefully, climate has an effect on countering the spread.

The good news is that if we are effectively social distancing and other measures, then that will stem the tide of new infections and the number of new infecetions captured through testing will start to go down in 7-10 days. I'd have to go back and look at the Korea data, but I think that tracks with what happened here.
                This graphically tracks Korea's daily new cases.

1102777-blank-355.jpg

That's difficult to see. Here is a link to the graph.

As you can see, new cases started spiking around Feb 21 and finally declined around Mar 12. That's about 3 weeks. My concern for the U.S. is that it is late to the game on testing and social distancing, so we'll likely see crazy daily numbers for another 2-3 weeks until we get a fuller picture of the spread and social distancing measures take hold. We will likely eclipse China's numbers.

Comment

• New York now makes up 5% of the world's COVID-19 cases. That is astonishing. This doesn't bode well at all.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• Scary

Comment

Just such an ass.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        The Johns Hopkins website shows us doubling the number of cases every 3 days. Half of the reported cases are in New York. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
                        Ugh. The cases are not doubling. They have doubled the number of tests. Actual cases could be stagnant, they could be doubling or they could be quadrupling. when we see those cases stats increasing, they are only increasing as tests increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by smokymountainrain; 03-22-2020, 06:18 PM.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                          I think if we had it to do over again we would have shut down international travel much earlier, ramped up testing much faster, and then chased down every positive to quarantine all of their contacts and try to find the source. When community spread was found mass testing should have been focused in that area.
                          That's my understanding of the S. Korea model. Had that happened, a mass shutdown of the economy may not have been necessary.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this shutdown being the right thing. But as we see the numbers explode in NY and word that this thing is causing permanent lung damage to younger patients it's hard to argue that it isn't. We'll just have to hope the government backstop for businesses works.
                          How the hell do they know if lung damage is permanent? This thing has been in the u.s. for three gd months.

Last edited by smokymountainrain; 03-22-2020, 06:17 PM.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            How the hell do they know if lung damage is permanent? This thing has been in the u.s. for three gd months.
                            Agreed. Way too early to make that claim.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

They base that on some cases from China(?) or elsewhere. It is not universal, just that it can happen.

COVID-19: Recovered patients have partially reduced lung function

All of this is obviously preliminary, but should be concerning.

Comment

For the patients who end up in the ICU they are all falling into the category of diffuse lung disease known as ARDS.

ARDS is a condition associated with permanent damage to the lungs.

Comment

Working...
                                X