Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here KL, read this tweet and thread. You might feel a bit better.

https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/sta...473288713?s=21
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I just finished reading a long article in the New York Times about COVID-19, the new official name of the Corona Virus. The most interesting thing in there for me was that a Holland America cruise ship has been refused entry to five ports so far because they had a stop in Hong Kong, even though nobody on the ship has any symptoms of the virus. That strikes home for me because I was on a Holland America cruise ship just a week and a half ago. I'm wondering at what point they start running out of food, or what sort of limited menus they'll have to offer. Supposedly after they've been at sea for 14 days, or whatever the new quarantine period is, they'll be allowed into a port.

Comment

COVID-19, still hasn't killed as many people as the flu has this year in the US:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
          I just finished reading a long article in the New York Times about COVID-19, the new official name of the Corona Virus. The most interesting thing in there for me was that a Holland America cruise ship has been refused entry to five ports so far because they had a stop in Hong Kong, even though nobody on the ship has any symptoms of the virus. That strikes home for me because I was on a Holland America cruise ship just a week and a half ago. I'm wondering at what point they start running out of food, or what sort of limited menus they'll have to offer. Supposedly after they've been at sea for 14 days, or whatever the new quarantine period is, they'll be allowed into a port.
          Anybody who goes on a cruise right now needs their head examined. That would include my neighbors. They are doing a cruise in a few weeks - carribean. They get daily updates from the cruise ship company about all of the extra staff they have hired for daily disinfection of the entire ship. They have also hired an extra team of medical personal - available free of charge!

I feel sorry for the cruise ship owners. Must be a nightmare.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Anybody who goes on a cruise right now needs their head examined. That would include my neighbors. They are doing a cruise in a few weeks - carribean. They get daily updates from the cruise ship company about all of the extra staff they have hired for daily disinfection of the entire ship. They have also hired an extra team of medical personal - available free of charge!

Cruises. UGH! Not interested.
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I totally wouldn't allow them in port. Look at the Japanese Government-- nothing but cost and risk and time waste. I would have just bid the ship adieu and told them to shove off. That's basically what New Jersey did, and Thailand. Let these ships seek relief from Liberia, or whatever government is flagging them.

Comment

It seems like, if necessary, people could deliver food and/or water to the ship without too much risk of infection.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I just snagged a great deal on a quick Miami to Nassau weekend cruise!
                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

The only thing that gives me pause is that I don't trust the data from China.

I haven't checked for a while, but the mortality rate was steady at 2%. China's response seemed disproportionate to the rate.
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                      The only thing that gives me pause is that I don't trust the data from China.

I haven't checked for a while, but the mortality rate was steady at 2%. China's response seemed disproportionate to the rate.
                      1 in 50 is pretty serious.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Who should be afraid of catching the coronavirus?

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Yikes! China's numbers have been questionable.

Hubei province reports 14,840 new confirmed cases and 242 deaths

For weeks, Chinese doctors and patients have complained about a lack of nucleic acid testing kits and their accuracy. The dramatic jump in cases in Hubei essentially confirms longtime suspicions that China was for weeks vastly undercounting cases of the virus.

Hubei’s total number of confirmed cases now stands at more than 48,000, with more than 1,300 deaths.

Comment

I don't want people to get more nervous than necessary, but I'm getting annoyed with people who are under-hyping the corona virus by comparing the death totals to flu death totals. I've heard lots of people say something like "10,000 people die every year from the flu, only 1,000 people have died from Corona so far."

The total number is not what's important, its the percentage of deaths among those infected that should be compared. This is from the CDC on this year's flu so far:

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 22 million flu illnesses, 210,000 hospitalizations and 12,000 deaths from flu.
                            That's a death rate of 0.05%. If the 48,000 cases to 1300 deaths is accurate, that's a 2.7% death rate for Corona.

You are 54 times more likely to die from Corona if you are infected than you are from getting the flu.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Actually, China and the US vastly differ in their flu counting. If someone presents with flu and an underlying condition, say pneumonia, and then dies, China always counts the death due to the underlying condition. US does the opposite- it counts the flu as the manner of death. This is why the US had 57,000 flu deaths last year and China had 57.

Comment

KL, relax. There is seriously nothing to worry about:

Let me know if you want me to get the recipe for the brew.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X