View Poll Results: At what point did/will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • From the Social Media rumors at the very beginning

2 5.00%
  • When CCP abruptly stopped arresting journalists, and announced 3 hospitals in 1 week

3 7.50%
  • When I tried to buy masks online from Amazon, Home Depot & Lowes, only to find everywhere sold out

1 2.50%
  • When WHO declared a global emergency

4 10.00%
  • When the US closed its borders to non-americans

3 7.50%
  • When the lethality passed SARS

0 0%
  • When they cancel Church in my area

2 5.00%
  • I'm still not going to panic

25 62.50%
Page 49 of 72 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 2147

Thread: At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

There is a chance you already have Covid-19 and don't know it...

Coronavirus: Iceland’s mass testing finds half of carriers show no symptoms

As the coronavirus pandemic surges worldwide, each piece of data counts in the fight against the deadly pathogen.

But significant findings about the contagious disease are coming from an unlikely place: Iceland, the tiny Island state with a population of just 364,000 people, where authorities are testing large numbers of the population – without imposing any lockdown or curfew.

As of Sunday night, the country’s health authorities and the biotechnology firm deCode Genetics have tested more than 10,300 people. That might not sound like a large number, compared to the around 350,000 Americans who have been tested for coronavirus according to the COVID Tracking Project, but it is a far higher percentage of tests per population - a ratio Icelandic authorities have claimed is the highest in the world.

But it is not just the numbers of people being tested that is unusual about Iceland’s approach.

Unlike other countries, where people are only tested if they exhibit symptons of coronavirus or have come into contact with known spreaders, the country is testing thousands of people from the general population who don’t exhibit any symptoms of the virus whatsoever – helping to reveal information about the nature of the pathogen and its symptoms.

While Iceland has only 218 confirmed cases among its tiny population, its testing program has produced crucial data about the coronavirus - that half of those who were tested positive has no coronavirus symptoms.

This confirms multiple pieces of scientific research that have shown that coronavirus is spread more through people with the virus who show no sign of being sick. Researchers from The University of Texas at Austin had found out that more than 10 percent of patients were infected by somebody who has the virus but does not yet have symptoms.

“Early results from deCode Genetics indicate that a low proportion of the general population has contracted the virus and that about half of those who tested positive are non-symptomatic,” Thorolfur Guđnason, Iceland’s chief epidemiologist, was quoted as saying BuzzFeed News. “The other half displays very moderate cold-like symptoms.”
    https://english.alarabiya.net/en/fea...ow-no-symptoms
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Dang, over 13,000 new cases in the U.S. over the past 24 hours, and half of those in New York. Total deaths now over 1,000.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Uhh or maybe just don’t do CPR because it doesn’t ever work for patients with ARDS/pneumonia. Waste of time!

CPR works great for cardiac patients in the middle of a heart attack and that’s about it.

This idea of creating a “policy” for every patient is really stupid though. Docs should just use good medical judgment and common sense. If CPR is only going to spray virus around the room and has no chance of working then of course it shouldn’t be done.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Uhh or maybe just don’t do CPR because it doesn’t ever work for patients with ARDS/pneumonia. Waste of time!

CPR works great for cardiac patients in the middle of a heart attack and that’s about it.

This idea of creating a “policy” for every patient is really stupid though. Docs should just use good medical judgment and common sense. If CPR is only going to spray virus around the room and has no chance of working then of course it shouldn’t be done.
    You're playing God!!!!!

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Like who? What kind of jobs?
    Not career types. Low wage earners, hourly workers, and job hoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    Not career types. Low wage earners, hourly workers, and job hoppers.
    Yeah, I had a friend who ran a warehouse that was in constant need of blue-collar workers because many of the employees would work just long enough to qualify for unemployment and then quit coming to work so they were let go. He saw it as a cycle. So anyone of that mind will bounce as soon as this goes into effect.

But then again, they may have bounced anyway.

Trump admin had access to a 2016 NSC playbook for pandemics. Among other things, it outline makes a simple algorithm on what to do if PPE supplies are threatened.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...council-149285

Is there sufficient personal protective equipment for healthcare workers who are providing medical care?” the playbook instructs its readers, as one early decision that officials should address when facing a potential pandemic. “If YES: What are the triggers to signal exhaustion of supplies? Are additional supplies available? If NO: Should the Strategic National Stockpile release PPE to states?
    I know this is mostly preaching to the choir. But it’s yet more damning evidence that Trump has failed bigly. We were always going to have to deal with this, but had he taken it seriously a couple of months ago it would be less of a crisis.

Much more of an asshat than anyone on the left, UT.

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Dang, over 13,000 new cases in the U.S. over the past 24 hours, and half of those in New York. Total deaths now over 1,000.
    Yeah who knows how bad it will getis in NYC.

Capture.JPG

Yeah, I had a friend who ran a warehouse that was in constant need of blue-collar workers because many of the employees would work just long enough to qualify for unemployment and then quit coming to work so they were let go. He saw it as a cycle. So anyone of that mind will bounce as soon as this goes into effect.

But then again, they may have bounced anyway.
    That’s my point, which I probably didn’t articulate well. I heard Graham use the example of nurses being tempted to take unemployment instead of working, because of the largesse of temporary unemployment benefits. I don’t see that happening with skilled labor. And frankly unskilled labor will likely need the boost.

That’s my point, which I probably didn’t articulate well. I heard Graham use the example of nurses being tempted to take unemployment instead of working, because of the largesse of temporary unemployment benefits. I don’t see that happening with skilled labor. And frankly unskilled labor will likely need the boost.
    Yeah, that's a horrible example. Graham is a dolt asshat. (mrs. myboynoah is/was a nurse and I could not imagine her bouncing under these circumstances.)

The good thing about it all is that it will mean more money into the economy, which is important over the next several months.

IDK, NWCoug... Folks really like the asshat's show on TV:

Trump’s Daily Briefings Are Getting Huge Ratings — And Leftists Hate Them

The ratings for President Trump’s daily briefing are soaring, and leftists are getting apoplectic.

The New York Times reluctantly admitted on Wednesday that the president’s daily coronavirus updates are garnering an average audience of 8.5 million on cable news, adding, “roughly the viewership of the season finale of ‘The Bachelor.’”

The Times moaned, “And the numbers are continuing to rise, driven by intense concern about the virus and the housebound status of millions of Americans who are practicing social distancing. On Monday, nearly 12.2 million people watched Mr. Trump’s briefing on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC, according to Nielsen — ‘Monday Night Football’ numbers. Millions more are watching on ABC, CBS, NBC and online streaming sites.”
    [...]
    https://www.dailywire.com/news/trump...ists-hate-them

How is anyone on the left's show doing for ratings?
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post

People are scared, Ted. They want to hear the latest from a reliable source. Fauci is a clear source of reason.

You think Dimwitted Don is the reason for the ratings? Some folks never got the lesson parents desperately try to instill in their 6th graders that you shouldn't be a raging asshole, even it you think it will make you popular.

Dimwitted Don is a petulant child.
    Last edited by LVAllen; 03-25-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post

LOL, Dailywire link. Don’t ever change, Ted.

Yeah, that's a horrible example. Graham is a dolt asshat. (mrs. myboynoah is/was a nurse and I could not imagine her bouncing under these circumstances.)

The good thing about it all is that it will mean more money into the economy, which is important over the next several months.

Trump admin had access to a 2016 NSC playbook for pandemics. Among other things, it outline makes a simple algorithm on what to do if PPE supplies are threatened.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...council-149285

I know this is mostly preaching to the choir. But it’s yet more damning evidence that Trump has failed bigly. We were always going to have to deal with this, but had he taken it seriously a couple of months ago it would be less of a crisis.

Admittedly I'm not very skilled with the search function on this website, but I didn't find a single post you've made about Bill de Blasio on here. While you're citing this NSC playbook and roasting Trump for not having the foresight that basically the entirety of Europe also lacked, you seem unwilling to say anything about the gaping asshole in New York who was telling everyone to stand up to the xenophobic Trump and carry on with their lives after he shut down travel out of China back in February. The subways were literally still packed less than two weeks ago. South Korea, Japan and Taiwan have past experience with things like SARS, they knew how to deal with this already. Of course it would have been nice to follow their example.

What's the more proximate cause of what's happening in New York right now -- Bill de Blasio not getting control of the public transportation system in NYC or Trump not reading the 2016 pandemic book? It's fine and perfectly in order to criticize Trump's performance here, but you seem to be oddly obsessed with it and while showing little concern for the biggest idiot of them all.

But again, I've never been able to figure out the search function on here, maybe you've already talked about that.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Admittedly I'm not very skilled with the search function on this website, but I didn't find a single post you've made about Bill de Blasio on here. While you're citing this NSC playbook and roasting Trump for not having the foresight that basically the entirety of Europe also lacked, you seem unwilling to say anything about the gaping asshole in New York who was telling everyone to stand up to the xenophobic Trump and carry on with their lives after he shut down travel out of China back in February. The subways were literally still packed less than two weeks ago. South Korea, Japan and Taiwan have past experience with things like SARS, they knew how to deal with this already. Of course it would have been nice to follow their example.

What's the more proximate cause of what's happening in New York right now -- Bill de Blasio not getting control of the public transportation system in NYC or Trump not reading the 2016 pandemic book? It's fine and perfectly in order to criticize Trump's performance here, but you seem to be oddly obsessed with it and while showing little concern for the biggest idiot of them all.

But again, I've never been able to figure out the search function on here, maybe you've already talked about that.
    All good points. Governor Inslee of Washington moved quickly to facilitate/force social distancing and now Washington appears to be flattening its curve. Excellent news. Many hard hit jurisdictions in the U.S. should have moved sooner on that front.

The criticism of the Federal Government in the general, and the Trump Administration in particular, is more than justified. National disasters require centralized planning and response. We can't have states and cities competing with other states and cities for needed supplies and funding, particularly in times of scarcity (like during a pandemic). The Federal Government runs these types of drills to be ready to respond. It also needs a centralized leadership team and secretariat to carry out the planning, training, and response. Trump and his team gutted that function. This is the mess he dealt us. Governors, mayors, congresspeople, business leaders are all stepping into the leadership vacuum, thank goodness.

All good points. Governor Inslee of Washington moved quickly to facilitate/force social distancing and now Washington appears to be flattening its curve. Excellent news. Many hard hit jurisdictions in the U.S. should have moved sooner on that front.

The criticism of the Federal Government in the general, and the Trump Administration in particular, is more than justified. National disasters require centralized planning and response. We can't have states and cities competing with other states and cities for needed supplies and funding, particularly in times of scarcity (like during a pandemic). The Federal Government runs these types of drills to be ready to respond. It also needs a centralized leadership team and secretariat to carry out the planning, training, and response. Trump and his team gutted that function. This is the mess he dealt us. Governors, mayors, congresspeople, business leaders are all stepping into the leadership vacuum, thank goodness.
    I read something about two similarly sized cities in Italy whose mayors took entirely different approaches to the 'Rona when it became clear their was a pandemic in China. One of the cities is one of the epicenters of Italy's disaster while the other has several orders of magnitude fewer cases. It tracks what happened in Philly back in 1918 during the Spanish Flu when they went ahead with a massive parade/celebration -- the number disparity between St. Louis and Philly is incredible even when looking at the different size of the cities. Outside of NYC, it appears as if Louisiana is the next hardest hit now that Washington appears to be flattening the curve. Why? Bourbon Street was still packed during the weekend of 3/14-3/15. I'm sure the tourist component of did their job to spread it elsewhere while leaving the natives infected.

In contrast, it appears as if California is handling things well and Gavin Newsome was fairly aggressive dealing with this early on.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

NYC, Nassau, Westchester and Suffolk have around 12 million people, currently they account for around 43% of the cases in the US. I have no idea why New Jersey isn't registering more cases right now, unless the trains going between Jersey and Manhattan simply aren't as packed as all the subways and trains going around the city and around Long Island. I never took a train between New Jersey and New York. But I suspect the prime reason why New York is dealing with this right now is because of spread through the public transportation system with people packed like sardines together. Secondary is touching door knobs and elevator buttons, etc that were touched by hundreds/thousands of people within the past hours/day.

It's incredible that London is dealing with a similar outbreak.

I read something about two similarly sized cities in Italy whose mayors took entirely different approaches to the 'Rona when it became clear their was a pandemic in China. One of the cities is one of the epicenters of Italy's disaster while the other has several orders of magnitude fewer cases. It tracks what happened in Philly back in 1918 during the Spanish Flu when they went ahead with a massive parade/celebration -- the number disparity between St. Louis and Philly is incredible even when looking at the different size of the cities. Outside of NYC, it appears as if Louisiana is the next hardest hit now that Washington appears to be flattening the curve. Why? Bourbon Street was still packed during the weekend of 3/14-3/15. I'm sure the tourist component of did their job to spread it elsewhere while leaving the natives infected.

In contrast, it appears as if California is handling things well and Gavin Newsome was fairly aggressive dealing with this early on.
    Interesting about those towns in Italy.

Yeah, governors and mayors are going to have the most authority in terms of movements and confinements of people. The president can cheer lead one way or the other (or both depending on the day), but the authority is down at that level. That's why a "let's fill the churches on Easter" call by Trump simply won't have an effect if local leaders don't want it to. Governors like Inslee, Newsome, Cuomo, DeWine, and Hogan are looking very good these days. People should follow their leads.

If you're not going to take the COVID Crisis seriously, steer clear of Rwanda.

Rwandan police shoot dead two men who defied lockdown orders

In a separate incident Wednesday, BBC Africa reported that in southern Rwanda a man flaunted lockdown orders to go fishing and was subsequently eaten by a crocodile, according to the mayor of the district.

I aim both barrels on Trump because he is the largest and easiest target for the nation. He, more than any single leader in the US, has allowed an unfocused casual attitude towards the pandemic to take root. All he had to do was step aside and let the experts take over. But he couldn’t even do that right.

I’m sorry if you think I need to play referee and include scorn on every other asshat when I criticize Trump. We have people here who already do that. But as to your question, de Blasio certainly could have done better mitigating the crisis if he acted earlier. Fine with me if you want to call his actions a more proximate cause to the NY crisis than Trump’s.

There’s plenty of blame to go around, from the CDC on down to local leaders. Feel free to use this disclaimer next time I criticize Trump.

Interesting about those towns in Italy.

Yeah, governors and mayors are going to have the most authority in terms of movements and confinements of people. The president can cheer lead one way or the other (or both depending on the day), but the authority is down at that level. That's why a "let's fill the churches on Easter" call by Trump simply won't have an effect if local leaders don't want it to. Governors like Inslee, Newsome, Cuomo, DeWine, and Hogan are looking very good these days. People should follow their leads.
    Cuomo is benefiting from a lot of selective memory. As late as march 18 he said he would not support a shelter in place order for NYC when de blasio was calling for one. The mass transit system in nyc is also state run so de blasio can't shut it down, only cuomo can. He refused to do so and still does.

As far as I know those other folks didn’t call it a hoax or choose their own tests. Some people just have to defend Trump at all costs.
    Last edited by frank ryan; 03-26-2020 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Yeah who knows how bad it will getis in NYC.

Capture.JPG
    this graph doesn't represent new cases, it represents more testing. finding the existing cases. This is a good thing. Kudos to NY state for getting more and more people tested.
    Last edited by smokymountainrain; 03-26-2020 at 07:40 AM.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    So they now think each infected person passes it on to 3 people.

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Clay Travis is a fun social media follow but he is an idiot.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    agreed, but travis only linked an article. the article is the relevant source here - forget about travis and his dumb comments.

another

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/n...tist-rn5m6nggk
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Social Distance Warrior swampfrog's Avatar

A measured look at the balance between shutdown and economic concerns. With links to other takes. Not an easy question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Clay Travis is not the only person rapidly adjusting their IFR (Infection Fatality Rate) estimates of Covid-19:

Current data from Iceland suggests the IFR is somewhere between 0.05% and 0.14%.
    https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global...atality-rates/

Maybe Travis made his revised estimate based on this.

What is the IFR of seasonal flu again? 0.1%?
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!