View Poll Results: At what point did/will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • From the Social Media rumors at the very beginning

2 5.00%
  • When CCP abruptly stopped arresting journalists, and announced 3 hospitals in 1 week

3 7.50%
  • When I tried to buy masks online from Amazon, Home Depot & Lowes, only to find everywhere sold out

1 2.50%
  • When WHO declared a global emergency

4 10.00%
  • When the US closed its borders to non-americans

3 7.50%
  • When the lethality passed SARS

0 0%
  • When they cancel Church in my area

2 5.00%
  • I'm still not going to panic

25 62.50%
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

334 new cases reported out this morning in Korea, putting Korea at nearly 1,600 cases. Korea issues two reports per day, so we'll see how many are reported out this afternoon. Not clarity right now where these cases exist. Most so far have been down in Daegu.
    Last edited by myboynoah; 02-26-2020 at 08:44 PM.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

It is officially in the wild in the US:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...m?ocid=ARWLCHR

What would a mass quarantine look like in the U.S. and how would it be enforced? I have friends who are convinced those of us in CA will be quarantined in our homes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Soccermom View Post
    What would a mass quarantine look like in the U.S. and how would it be enforced? I have friends who are convinced those of us in CA will be quarantined in our homes.
    I think it's impossible without the National Guard being called out. And, even then, it's a waste of resources.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

These people from St. George from the cruise ship don't appear to be showing any major symptoms. That's probably how it gets spread so easily, a ton of people may not be terribly affected by it

https://www.abc4.com/news/southern-u...e-cruise-ship/

At the same time, I can see this thing killing legions of homeless people. The years of smoking meth, amongst other things, have probably ravaged these people's lungs.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/korean-ai...010558635.html

This has my wife pretty upset. I flew Korean Air Seoul to LAX on the A380 on Feb 21st. I’m guessing it was the exact same plane. It was a ghost town on that flight. I was originally scheduled to fly back on the 19th. Guess I dodged a bullet.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I think it's impossible without the National Guard being called out. And, even then, it's a waste of resources.
    I know there are a lot of high level discussions going on right now planning our response. Might as well just let it run its course.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

I'm going to be my usual optimistic and skeptical self and say I think this Coronavirus has induced a huge overreaction. It's just what people crave right now. An existential threat that really isn't threatening our existence.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

speaking of potential pandemics anyone else having fun killing the world with a plague of your creation?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/plague-inc/id525818839

I played this game a bunch a few years ago but it seems particularly fun now.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I'm going to be my usual optimistic and skeptical self and say I think this Coronavirus has induced a huge overreaction. It's just what people crave right now. An existential threat that really isn't threatening our existence.
    I like that you're concurrently optimistic and skeptical. Great combo.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    I like that you're concurrently optimistic and skeptical. Great combo.
    That's always my fusion. Trump isn't Hitler, we're not the Weimar Republic, the earth isn't burning up all over, emissions are getting cleaner, the Coronavirus won't be nearly as deadly as this:

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...be-at-its-peak

--Jonathan Swift

That's always my fusion. Trump isn't Hitler, we're not the Weimar Republic, the earth isn't burning up all over, emissions are getting cleaner, the Coronavirus won't be nearly as deadly as this:

14,000. wow

Was talking to a friend of ours last year.

Her: "Everybody in our house has the flu. We have all been wiped out for two weeks."
    Me: "Oh wow. Sorry to hear that. Did you get the flu vaccine this year?"
    Her: "No, we don't believe in that."
    Me:
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Yeah. I linked an article previously that highlighted Japan's approach to the coronavirus. It said that Japan was going to only treat and isolate the most serious cases. Mild cases would be sent home to self isolate and get better. It's as if they are conceding that this will be with us and trying to block it out is futile as well has uselessly expensive, so might as well manage it until a vaccine is developed.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Yeah. I linked an article previously that highlighted Japan's approach to the coronavirus. It said that Japan was going to only treat and isolate the most serious cases. Mild cases would be sent home to self isolate and get better. It's as if they are conceding that this will be with us and trying to block it out is futile as well has uselessly expensive, so might as well manage it until a vaccine is developed.
    And then Japan shut down every school in the entire country. So much for a calm and measured approach.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I’m sure it will suck esp for people who die and have their businesses and jobs disrupted. But our worst predictions and fears are never usually actualized, at least not as predict them. The worst usually gets us off guard.

Eventually people will say, we have to get back to work, start traveling again. If we get it, oh well, probably won't die.

The published rates of death are probably exaggerated. Early on, the Chinese didn't know what it was, weren't getting treated right. Iran is medieval. Etc. They've been discovering asymptomatic people. I posted the statistics for flu. What about car wrecks. Life is dangerous but you have to get out there and tackle it.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    And then Japan shut down every school in the entire country. So much for a calm and measured approach.
    Ha, I know. How crazy.

That article is at least a week old, so things may have changed. But I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the basic lower key approach that I outlined above.

I was just contacted by Korean Air telling me that I was exposed to the virus and to self quarantine until I can be tested. That’s fun.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Eventually people will say, we have to get back to work, start traveling again. If we get it, oh well, probably won't die.

The published rates of death are probably exaggerated. Early on, the Chinese didn't know what it was, weren't getting treated right. Iran is medieval. Etc. They've been discovering asymptomatic people. I posted the statistics for flu. What about car wrecks. Life is dangerous but you have to get out there and tackle it.
    I would like to see a chart breaking down deaths per country per those infected. As you note, China didn't know what it had, and frankly, I question the healthcare there. Iran is medieval. How will it play out now that it is in the developed world?

My greatest fear of contracting it is not that I would die, but that I would be thrust into a bureaucrat healthcare process of treatment and confinement and isolation in which I would lose freedom of movement for at least 14 days. Ugh.

Also, everyone would think I have cooties.

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    I was just contacted by Korean Air telling me that I was exposed to the virus and to self quarantine until I can be tested. That’s fun.
    Oh crud. Just my fear as noted above.

I would like to see a chart breaking down deaths per country per those infected. As you note, China didn't know what it had, and frankly, I question the healthcare there. Iran is medieval. How will it play out now that it is in the developed world?

My greatest fear of contracting it is not that I would die, but that I would be thrust into a bureaucrat healthcare process of treatment and confinement and isolation in which I would lose freedom of movement for at least 14 days. Ugh.

I would kill for a 14 day break, even if that means isolation.

Oh crud. Just my fear as noted above.
    Ha! I’m right there with you. I have a trip to Vegas planned for next week. Getting out of that would be a positive. I’m also planning on doing spring cleaning and making a couple of dump runs on Saturday. So other than getting out of those two things, this will be a pain in the neck. I’m 99.9999999% sure I’m fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    When not traveling I work from home. So all this does is put me in the “office” for 24/7 for a few weeks. Yeah, that sucks.

Depending on where you live, isolation and confinement will likely mean at a medical facility in a negative pressure room being treated by people in space suits.

EDIT: I talking as if you are determined to have the virus.

When not traveling I work from home. So all this does is put me in the “office” for 24/7 for a few weeks. Yeah, that sucks.
    Yeah, no doubt I'd be putting in hours on my computer and phone. I think I might have to make sure my VPN doesn't work.

Depending on where you live, isolation and confinement will likely mean at a medical facility in a negative pressure room being treated by people in space suits.

EDIT: I talking as if you are determined to have the virus.
    I'd be ok with that too.

Really it comes down to how busy my life is. Work, church, family--it's been a juggling act lately! Really the thing that would kill me would be not being able to see the grandkids.

Yeah, no doubt I'd be putting in hours on my computer and phone. I think I might have to make sure my VPN doesn't work.

I'd be ok with that too.

Really it comes down to how busy my life is. Work, church, family--it's been a juggling act lately! Really the thing that would kill me would be not being able to see the grandkids.
    Don't have Facetime?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

YIKES
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

--Jonathan Swift