View Poll Results: At what point did/will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • From the Social Media rumors at the very beginning

2 5.00%
  • When CCP abruptly stopped arresting journalists, and announced 3 hospitals in 1 week

3 7.50%
  • When I tried to buy masks online from Amazon, Home Depot & Lowes, only to find everywhere sold out

1 2.50%
  • When WHO declared a global emergency

4 10.00%
  • When the US closed its borders to non-americans

3 7.50%
  • When the lethality passed SARS

0 0%
  • When they cancel Church in my area

2 5.00%
  • I'm still not going to panic

25 62.50%
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Looks like this virus is breaking containment. Might be time to start taking it seriously here in the US. I still think there will be less deaths in the US from COVID-19 this year than the flu, but there will probably be some seriously costly measures to make it so.

I'm guessing this has a good chance of derailing the economy and causing a recession. We may already be past that point with things shut down in China. I do think this affects possible election outcomes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    Looks like this virus is breaking containment. Might be time to start taking it seriously here in the US. I still think there will be less deaths in the US from COVID-19 this year than the flu, but there will probably be some seriously costly measures to make it so.

I'm guessing this has a good chance of derailing the economy and causing a recession. We may already be past that point with things shut down in China. I do think this affects possible election outcomes as well.
    I was hoping the economic consequences would cause Trump to provide some tariff relief. But yesterday Ludlow said there was no evidence that it was having an economic impact. Idiot.

Over 600 cases now in Korea. Four days ago it was 31.

The situation in Iran looks concerning. Seven deaths and only 28 cases reported. That 28 numer is way low. Iran has got to have over 1,000 cases. They just don't know it. Which is scary.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Over 600 cases now in Korea. Four days ago it was 31.

The situation in Iran looks concerning. Seven deaths and only 28 cases reported. That 28 numer is way low. Iran has got to have over 1,000 cases. They just don't know it. Which is scary.
    It's infecting people in the Chinese prison system. Thats less than ideal.

Church Update:

Missionaries in Hong Kong in self quarantine for 14 days
    Missionaries in Cambodia, Thailand, and Singapore restricted movement.
    Missionaries in Mongolia in less restricted movement.
    Missionaries in South Korea in quarantine for unspecified time.
    Taiwan and Seoul Temples closed. Hong Kong temple already closed for refurb.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    My husband keeps telling me to stop with the panic, but I am in full blown fear. What is your position?
    There was a kid coughing in the row in front of me so I declined the Sac out of concern. Didn't see that option on your poll.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Crazy.

South Korea orders temporary shutdown of messianic church linked to more than half the country’s coronavirus cases

Authorities have identified a pair of Sunday services she attended with 1,000 others this month as a hotbed for the coronavirus. The number of cases traced to the Daegu church have snowballed to 329 in a week, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The director of the centers said Shincheonji services that gather worshipers in crowded spaces possibly aggravated transmissions there.

Shin Hyun-wook, a former Shincheonji member who now campaigns against religious cults, said church members are supposed to kneel on the floor in tight rows at temple halls. Worshipers are not allowed to wear masks during services, Shin said.

Local authorities said they had reached out to Shincheonji members in Daegu for inspection, but 670 were unresponsive as of Sunday. Police have mobilized some 600 officers to track down members.

Shin said hundreds of Shincheonji members are likely in hiding: “For them, the fear of being outed as a Shincheonji follower is bigger than the fear of getting ill from the virus.” Because of the “cult stigma” attached to the church, Shin said, some members hide their affiliation even from their family.

Kim, the Shincheonji spokesman, said a membership list the Daegu church submitted to health authorities was leaked and exposed members to personal attacks. Kim said those who were outed by the list have faced discrimination, insults and firing from their jobs.

An online petition to President Moon’s office asking for the “forceful dissolution of Shincheonji,” has drawn nearly 380,000 supporters.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Church Update:

Missionaries in Cambodia, Thailand, and Singapore restricted movement.
    Missionaries in Mongolia in less restricted movement.
    Missionaries in South Korea in quarantine for unspecified time.
    Taiwan and Seoul Temples closed. Hong Kong temple already closed for refurb.
    The Hong Kong missionaries have been removed from Hong Kong (at least the ones who aren't from there).

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Church Update:

We just got one back from Hong Kong in our ward. His 14 days was up. On Tuesday he's headed off to Seattle to finish off his mission.

It shouldn't shock anyone that the mortality rate of the virus is elevated with older people and those with chronic lung conditions, including smokers. There's a crap ton of men in China who smoke. The virus attacks the lungs and intestines. Supposedly young people, particularly children, aren't dying from this.

There was a Forbes article I read today that says scientists think there's a fecal-oral tranmission with the sickness and the nature of toilets in China -- many, many being communal toilets, is aiding the transmission. Also consider the fact that this thing also attacks the intestines. It's also why there's been a problem on cruise ships. It sounds like latex gloves are equally, if not more important in stopping the spread than the masks.

While kids aren't dying from this, they sure as hell are probably spreading this into homes because kids don't wash their hands. I would rather shake hands with a guy who services port-o-potties all day then touch my 7 year old's hands. I have been hounding that kid with near threats of violence to start washing his hands once in a while.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

So it begins...

Dow drops more than 900 points as coronavirus cases outside of China surge

The great coronavirus sell off.

Can we stay home from church now?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Maybe I'm discounting the threat of this virus, but how is this different from the Swine Flu from 2009? You can't really trust the numbers out of China regarding the transmission or mortality rates both because they lie all the time, and because it's approximate to a third world country with respect to sanitation and treatment in many parts of the country.

For the people that have contracted the illness in South Korea and on that cruise ship by Japan, has the illness been killing people at a rate higher than the flu?
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

There have been 700 people on that cruise ship who contracted the virus and three people are dead -- all in their 80s. And who knows of they already had some kind of preexisting lung issue.

What's interesting to me is only 1/5 of the ship got it. Perhaps it's not as transmittable as we fear. It seems under cruise ship conditions, almost everyone should have gotten it, or perhaps they caught it in time.

They talked about a woman in South Korea who was a "super spreader" amongst people in her church. Given the fecal-oral transmission thing I read, I don't want to know the gruesome details.

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    There have been 700 people on that cruise ship who contracted the virus and three people are dead -- all in their 80s. And who knows of they already had some kind of preexisting lung issue.

What's interesting to me is only 1/5 of the ship got it. Perhaps it's not as transmittable as we fear. It seems under cruise ship conditions, almost everyone should have gotten it, or perhaps they caught it in time.

They talked about a woman in South Korea who was a "super spreader" amongst people in her church. Given the fecal-oral transmission thing I read, I don't want to know the gruesome details.
    You know, when you smell something, it means tiny particles of what you was smelling are being breathed in and sensed by your olefactory system. So maybe the virus is being passed by flatulence? Should people be wearing the masks on their butts instead of their faces?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    You know, when you smell something, it means tiny particles of what you was smelling are being breathed in and sensed by your olefactory system. So maybe the virus is being passed by flatulence? Should people be wearing the masks on their butts instead of their faces?
    I need to get into the butt mask business, pronto.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    I need to get into the butt mask business, pronto.

Do you think these filter out the virus? Or just the odor?

https://www.amazon.com/Underwear-fla.../dp/B01BYGTP8G
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Cattle market has been in the crapper since the news broke in mid-January. Opened limit-down this morning. Calves and slaughter cattle marketed this winter have lost between $80 and $140 per head in value because of this. Thank goodness for the futures market.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Do you think these filter out the virus? Or just the odor?

https://www.amazon.com/Underwear-fla.../dp/B01BYGTP8G
    Doesn't matter.

Ad campaign: "I haven't transmitted or contracted coronavirus ever since I started using these charcoal filters. If you want to protect your family, why don't you give them a try? As an added benefit, these filters also reduce or eliminate odors from flatulence, making your home free from odor and coronavirus."
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

So, they say the death rate for this coronavirus is "somewhere around 2%." I keep hearing that, but then it is always qualified by "but, you know, these are complicated matters so it hard to really know right now." Using the latest Johns Hopkins tracker as a base, I count these numbers:

Total infected - 79,553
    Total recovered - 25,215
    Total deaths - 2,628

To do a simple death rate, one might divide total deaths by total infected, which pops out a death rate of 3.3%.

But shouldn't the more correct denominator be the total number of infected that have passed through the infection "to the other side," meaning total deaths plus total recovered? In other words, there are still 51,710 infected that are in treatment (79,553 minus 25,215 minus 2,628) who could either recover or die. If we use total deaths plus total recovered (25,215 plus 2,628 = 27,843) as the denominator, we get a death rate of 10.6%.

Instead of claiming a death rate of "somewhere around 2%," shouldn't it be closer to 10%?

I know these are "complicated matters," but these numbers seem pretty clear. What am I doing wrong here?

Help me Obi Wan pelagius, you're my only hope!
    Last edited by myboynoah; 02-24-2020 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    So, they say the death rate for this coronavirus is "somewhere around 2%." I keep hearing that, but then it is always qualified by "but, you know, these are complicated matters so it hard to really know right now." Using the latest Johns Hopkins tracker as a base, I count these numbers:

Total infected - 79,553
    Total recovered - 25,215
    Total deaths - 2,628

To do a simple death rate, one might divide total deaths by total infected, which pops out a death rate of 3.3%.

But shouldn't the more correct denominator be the total number of infected that have passed through the infection "to the other side," meaning total deaths plus total recovered? In other words, there are still 51,710 infected that are in treatment (79,553 minus 25,215 minus 2,628) who could either recover or die. If we use total deaths plus total recovered (25,215 plus 2,628 = 27,843) as the denominator, we get a death rate of 10.6%.

Instead of claiming a death rate of "somewhere around 2%," shouldn't it be closer to 10%?

I know these are "complicated matters," but these numbers seem pretty clear. What am I doing wrong here?

Help me Obi Wan pelagius, you're my only hope!
    I'm no expert here, but I think when they say "complicated matters" it means the numbers suck and they know it.

My wife is taking my daughters to a BTS (KPop) concert in Cali at the end of April. If/when that concert gets cancelled - I'll be forced to take Corona virus EXTREMELY seriously.

Good hell, what an idiot.

Here are the steps Trump should take to counter coronavirus fears

Trump could be assisted in this effort by the oldest trick in the Beltway book: a special commission. Led by Vice President Mike Pence, the commission could be co-chaired by a bipartisan group of the nation’s smartest, most effective governors — perhaps Arizona’s Doug Ducey (R), Florida’s Ron DeSantis (R) and Rhode Island’s Gina Raimondo (D) — and include leaders of great medical institutions such as the Mayo and Cleveland clinics, Mass General and M.D. Anderson. It should also include representatives from social media platforms and broad membership organizations such as the Service Employees International Union and Catholic Charities. The commission’s purpose ought to be publicizing best practices and credentialing best information. Knocking down fake news and fake “cures” as well as hysteria and overblown estimates of fatality rates are crucial ends in themselves.
    That's right. There is no crisis in the world that a good commission can't effectively quell, especially in this fast-paced social media environment.

Hammering home the facts of where the virus has struck and the science behind its levels of contagion, morbidity and mortality would do a world of good for the world at large and the global economy, which freezes up in the face of fear. (Fear was the driver behind market drops like those Monday in the United States and earlier retractions in Asia.) Public health is the first concern, but every pundit knows that if anything like what happened in 1918 plays out in the United States, Trump faces the sort of political disaster that became attached to Bush in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
    Wrong again you dope. Disruptions in supply chains, downturns in market demand and sales because people are ordered to stay home or in their villages, and a near stoppage in international travel in Asia are the reasons the market dropped.

And how is this type of ridiculous tweet going to help anything?

Last edited by myboynoah; 02-24-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Interesting

Bracing for virus surge, Japan takes different approach from China

Bracing for a surge in coronavirus cases, Japan announced a new policy on Tuesday designed to focus medical care on the most serious cases, while urging people with mild symptoms to treat themselves at home.

It is radically different approach from that adopted by China, which has relied on locking down entire cities and keeping tens of millions of people virtual prisoners in their own homes, but it’s one that wins support from many medical experts.

The basic premise is that the spread of the virus can’t be stopped, so efforts need to focus on slowing the pace of transmission and reducing mortality rates.

White House struggles to contain public alarm over coronavirus

White House officials often face a tricky balance of trying to assure the public while also not dismissing threats that could become calamities. The Dow is still up markedly from 2017, when Trump took office, but it closed Tuesday at its lowest level since October, before the coronavirus was even detected in China.

“You don’t want to overly feed the darkness, but if you seem like all you do is happy talk then you lose credibility,” said Gene Sperling, who served as a top economic adviser during the Clinton and Obama administrations. “You get a three-hour high from your happy talk, but lose the long-term ability to be seen as serious, factual and potentially reassuring at a later point when it might be justified. This White House may already be in danger of losing the capacity to be seen as serious.

. . . . . . . .

Kudlow has argued repeatedly that while China may be hurt economically, the impact on U.S. growth is likely to be minimal, citing robust consumer confidence and data showing domestic manufacturing remains strong. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross has made similar assessments, telling Fox Business last month “I think it will help to accelerate the return of jobs to North America, some to [the] U.S., probably some to Mexico as well.”

Their comments come amid widespread concern that the shuttering of numerous Chinese firms could wreak havoc with American companies’ domestic supply chain. U.S. companies do not appear to be cheering the economic disruption. In fact, many are fretting that it could have a severe impact on their operations.

Global markets also appeared to brush off the pronouncements of economic stability from Kudlow and Trump.

“The CDC is probably more credible about the risks from the coronavirus than anything the Trump economic officials say,” said Chris Rupkey, chief financial economist at MUFG Union Bank. “The market is coming down on the CDC.”
    This is what one reaps by tweeting falsehoods everyday since being elected. Buyers and sellers on Wall Street and around the world are not the loyal minions showing up at political rallies.

I also don't understand Kudlow's and Ross' comments about China and jobs moving back to the U.S. Companies are hurting now because supply chains are broken. Those take 18 mos to 2 yrs to rebuild, even if they decide to relocate back to the U.S.

These are my personal triggers:

1. They still don't know how it is transmitted.
    2. They still don't know the incubation period, or when someone can be considered safe to be around others. (see #1)
    2. The coronavirus test is inconclusive. This morning a woman who previously tested negative 9 times, contracted the disease. (see #1)
    3. The thermal scanners are bogus and are very inaccurate. The US with all of its thermal scans at 11 airports have detected fever, and barred passengers from entering the US exactly 0 times. Some of the scanners you actually touch the forehead, and then the next person's forehead, and so on. Arent these thermal checks just contributing to spreading?
    4. The US has absolutely no preparation for this, economically speaking. This morning I plan to lead an initiative on working from home, and triaging who at work really needs to physically be there, and what equipment do we need to work from home.
    5. This is anecdotal, but I saw video of those Japanese health inspectors going aboard the cruise ship to remove sick passengers. Those inspectors were dressed head-to-toe in hazmat suits and full face respirators, and were on the ship for a limited time only. Now I read that 4 of them (6?) have contracted the virus. (See #1)

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post

Yep... containment is gone:

Coronavirus: More New Cases Are Now Reported Outside China Than Inside

"Yesterday, the number of new cases reported outside China exceeded the number of new cases in China for the first time," the head of the World Health Organization said Wednesday, giving an update on the deadly COVID-19 disease that's spread by a novel coronavirus.
    [...]
    https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...na-than-inside

Does BYUTV still have that sacrament program that you can watch from home?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Yep... containment is gone:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...na-than-inside

Does BYUTV still have that sacrament program that you can watch from home?
    That's one way to spin it. What this really means is that things seem to under control in China.

By contrast, only 10 new cases were reported in mainland China outside of the epicenter in Hubei province, the WHO says.
    Either that, or the Chinese are lying again.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    The Hong Kong missionaries have been removed from Hong Kong (at least the ones who aren't from there).
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    We just got one back from Hong Kong in our ward. His 14 days was up. On Tuesday he's headed off to Seattle to finish off his mission.
    My wife this last Sunday: "We had two sister missionaries in Relief Society who were moved from Hong Kong."

Me: "You didn't sit by them, did you?"
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

My students are down the rabbit hole of conspiracy theories about COVID-19. They are sharing this video all over social media: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oLl...wp8LGEbycQ62eI
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    My wife this last Sunday: "We had two sister missionaries in Relief Society who were moved from Hong Kong."

Me: "You didn't sit by them, did you?"
    Every member a missionary. Every recently repatriated missionary a Gaetan Dugas.