Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That headline: “With Trump leading the way, America’s coronavirus failures exposed by record surge in new infections.” I’m not a Trump fan (the obligatory disclaimer), but good grief, doesn’t it speak volumes about the WP’s obsessive bias. Noah, do you read ANYTHING other than Fox News of the left? I see they dug up some French headlines throwing stones from France’s glass house.

And where is California in this article? Idaho is highlighted, but not California.

New York’s numbers are still ten times worse than more populous Florida and Texas. But Cuomo is a god, and he’s telling everyone else how it’s not done.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 06-28-2020, 08:35 AM.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Here is a balanced article if anyone is wondering what one looks like.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronav..._copyURL_share

Florida, Texas, California, and Arizona lead the recent spikes. Trump campaign has postponed events. Covid deaths still down, but deaths lag.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        That headline: “With Trump leading the way, America’s coronavirus failures exposed by record surge in new infections.” I’m not a Trump fan (the obligatory disclaimer), but good grief, doesn’t it speak volumes about the WP’s obsessive bias. Noah, do you read ANYTHING other than Fox News of the left?
        MBN will reflexively parrot "news" sourced from anonymous US intelligence officials in the 2020 election thread (gee maybe nearly 20 years after Iraq we shouldn't do this?) which speaks volumes about MBN's critical thinking skills. Not surprised he is wrong here also.
        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Here is a balanced article if anyone is wondering what one looks like.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronav..._copyURL_share

Florida, Texas, California, and Arizona lead the recent spikes. Trump campaign has postponed events. Covid deaths still down, but deaths lag.
          This has to be fake news... MBN says we all are going to die!
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
            So, the authorities will have no role in this effort to shield the old and vulnerable. People will just take care of theselves and those vulnerable for whom they care on their own. Kind of like what is happening now and working so swimmingly in the United States. In other words, no plan; you're on your own.

That depends on how you define sucess. Lots of examples of nations moving forward after successfully breaking their curves. Take a look.

Something tells me you'll define it beyond what is possible in the face of a highly contagious virus that was introdcued 7-8 mmonths ago and has now spread across the world killing over half a million people.
            So again, your solution is permanent shut down? Your solution is the one that doesn’t work.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• As much as CNN would love to pin this resurgence of the Vid on Republican governors and legislatures, it’s coming back in California and Washington too and even New York State.

The problem is that the American cultural tradition of valuing individual freedom and American small business capitalism aren’t compatible with the type of shutdown that could destroy this virus.

Comment

So again, your solution is permanent shut down? Your solution is the one that doesn’t work.
                You are really bad at this. If you’re going to mischaracterize any dissenting opinion as a permanent shut down, then I’m calling yours we need to sacrifice all grandmas because the economy is sacrosanct.

This thread is exactly back where we were a month ago. The same disingenuous arguments are being thrown around. I feel great.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  You are really bad at this. If you’re going to mischaracterize any dissenting opinion as a permanent shut down, then I’m calling yours we need to sacrifice all grandmas because the economy is sacrosanct.

This thread is exactly back where we were a month ago. The same disingenuous arguments are being thrown around. I feel great.
                  What are you jabbering about? Noah's entire point, with which JL enthusiastically agreed, was that you can't protect the vulnerable with measures less extreme than shutdowns.

Noah:
                  How do we effectively do that?

Special isolation camps? Regulations to keep the old unhealthy folks isolated? Or just leave it up to them to protect themselves?

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Swedes rapidly losing trust in Covid-19 strategy, poll finds

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...egy-poll-finds

"Swedes are losing trust in authorities’ handling of the coronavirus, as the man behind the country’s light-touch approach called lockdowns a form of madness and political parties demanded the Swedish strategy be reviewed before the next election in 2022 ...

Sweden’s 5,230 deaths translates to a toll per million inhabitants of 511, many times higher than the corresponding totals in neighbouring Denmark (104), Finland (59) and Norway (47), all of which imposed strict confinements – but lower than the 650 registered in the UK, Spain’s 606 and Italy’s 573 ...

Tegnell conceded earlier this month that the country has had too many deaths – particularly in care homes – from Covid-19, should have done more to curb the spread of the virus, and would “do something in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done” if confronted with the disease now."

Comment

What are you jabbering about? Noah's entire point, with which JL enthusiastically agreed, was that you can't protect the vulnerable with measures less extreme than shutdowns.
                      Would you please stop misrepresenting everything I say?
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Would you please stop misrepresenting everything I say?
                        What fun is that?
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• If you guys aren’t on the Nextdoor app, you are missing out. The mask discussions are hilarious. And now the anti-maskers are getting mad at people that light off aerial fireworks claiming that people have to right to light off fireworks that out their homes in danger of fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                            Swedes rapidly losing trust in Covid-19 strategy, poll finds

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...egy-poll-finds

"Swedes are losing trust in authorities’ handling of the coronavirus, as the man behind the country’s light-touch approach called lockdowns a form of madness and political parties demanded the Swedish strategy be reviewed before the next election in 2022 ...

Sweden’s 5,230 deaths translates to a toll per million inhabitants of 511, many times higher than the corresponding totals in neighbouring Denmark (104), Finland (59) and Norway (47), all of which imposed strict confinements – but lower than the 650 registered in the UK, Spain’s 606 and Italy’s 573 ...

Tegnell conceded earlier this month that the country has had too many deaths – particularly in care homes – from Covid-19, should have done more to curb the spread of the virus, and would “do something in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done” if confronted with the disease now."
                            Sweden's deaths are mostly in care homes. Those could have been protected without lockdowns. That was a failure of government for sure. And as we learned from the Northeast US, lockdowns don't necessarily protect care homes.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              If you guys aren’t on the Nextdoor app, you are missing out. The mask discussions are hilarious. And now the anti-maskers are getting mad at people that light off aerial fireworks claiming that people have to right to light off fireworks that out their homes in danger of fire.
                              My Nextdoor neighborhood is super boring.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                My Nextdoor neighborhood is super boring.
                                Yep I’m thinking in Happy Valley there would be a lot less (hilarious) fighting on Nextdoor.

We have some great recurring themes: kids shouldn’t drive golf carts around, fireworks are terrifying my dogs, a lady literally named Karen is tired of people driving on Stratford Ave which should be closed to all but local traffic.

People who live off Stratford Ave are replying saying they literally have to drive on it to get home and they get glared at and flipped the bird just for driving to and from their homes!

Some political posts are pretty good right now. A lady says everyone should obviously vote for Max Cheng for the Granite School board because he’s the only person of diversity. Wait, do Asians count?!

Our Nextdoor feed is almost always entertaining. People are insane!

Comment

Working...
                                X