Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
    The government has spent decades studying what a life is worth. It hasn’t made a difference in the covid-19 crisis.

Yes, this discussion needs to be had. But it looks like the Trump team can't stand the thought, likely because it won't go the way they want.
    “So far, the number of deaths has been lower than the study projected, Thunstrom said, ‘so social distancing has done more than what we assumed.’”

I mean, I guess that’s one way of looking at it.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• How fear, groupthink drive lockdowns

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ns_143253.html
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• From the editor of the National Review, but he's absolutely right. DeSantis has been effective, Cuomo incompetent. But the mendacious media will never tell you that.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/23/florid...tell-you-that/
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Populous Japan. No lockdowns. Deaths nearly halted.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ource=url_link

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
            The government has spent decades studying what a life is worth. It hasn’t made a difference in the covid-19 crisis.

Yes, this discussion needs to be had. But it looks like the Trump team can't stand the thought, likely because it won't go the way they want.

The Trump team is pushing social distancing. Have you not seen the guidelines to reopen schools? Reopening the economy doesn’t mean you don’t social distance.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Oh brother.

Quoting John Wilkes Booth is a nice touch.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

The Trump team is pushing social distancing. Have you not seen the guidelines to reopen schools? Reopening the economy doesn’t mean you don’t social distance.
                I don't understand your confusion. The article notes that the Trump team is not using this analysis in its decision-making for its COVID response.

Yes, the White House put out good guidelines. Then Trump turns around and fights those trying to apply them.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Trump's national security adviser says China response to coronavirus was like Chernobyl

White House National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien compared on Sunday China’s response to the coronavirus pandemic to that of the Soviet Union’s reaction during the Chernobyl nuclear disaster in 1986.

“This was a virus that was unleashed by China. There was a coverup that someday they’re going to do an HBO show like they did with Chernobyl on this virus,” O’Brien said on CBS’ “Face the Nation” Sunday. O’Brien was referring to the 2019 miniseries that dramatized the 1986 explosion of a reactor at a nuclear power plant in Ukraine and the response from Soviet officials.

O’Brien added that, like Soviet officials in the 1980s, Chinese officials have covered up the extent of the pandemic -- which first surfaced late last year in Wuhan, the sprawling capital of Central China’s Hubei province – because “they kicked out all reporters and they wouldn’t let [the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] investigators come in and they’re still stonewalling investigators.”
                  [...]
                  https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...like-chernobyl

I bet the HBO's miniseries on the COVID will be as good as or better than the Soviet Chernobyl one... I can't wait!
                  Last edited by myboynoah; 05-25-2020, 06:11 PM.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-as...rs-flee-cities

India’s strict lockdown to halt the spread of coronavirus meant that most factories and businesses shut down, rendering millions jobless.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi appealed to businesses to keep paying their workers, including daily-wage labourers.

But that didn’t happen, and most of the workers were left with little money and food.

With no prospect of income, they took long journeys to go back to their villages. Some managed to get transport, but those who couldn’t, walked hundreds of miles.

And some of them never made it home as they died because of exhaustion or in accidents.
                    I'm 100% convinced the panic and hysteria over this will go down as much more damaging than the actual virus itself.

Comment

• CNN has jumped the shark. All day today a headline something like “As death count nears 100,000 Americans flock to social gatherings.”

Uhhh I’m pretty sure that number of 100K has no connection whatsoever to whether or not young people should hang out together outside.

At some point don’t we have to just trust people to make the right decisions for their own individual health? I think people under 50 are probably making the correct assessment of risk by going out and doing what they want without worrying about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                        CNN has jumped the shark. All day today a headline something like “As death count nears 100,000 Americans flock to social gatherings.”

Uhhh I’m pretty sure that number of 100K has no connection whatsoever to whether or not young people should hang out together outside.

At some point don’t we have to just trust people to make the right decisions for their own individual health? I think people under 50 are probably making the correct assessment of risk by going out and doing what they want without worrying about it.
                        I agree with Jay that our reaction is now causing more damage than the virus. We now have enough information to be treated like adults and make our own risk/reward decisions. Twenty percent of US jobs are from small businesses in healthcare, retail, and recreation, and it's those businesses that are hurting the worst. I fear that many will not recover, and those jobs will be permanently lost, hampering our economic recovery and causing long-term damage.

I've also wondered how the shutdown would play out in the courts. At what point can an elected executive overrule the 4th amendment? It raises a number of interesting legal arguments, with slippery slopes, etc. Can other constitutional rights also be ignored in the interest of 'public safety'? If that is the case, can the president censor CNN, arguing that its hyperbole is inciting riots and is thus a threat to public safety? I know that is a far-fetched example, but it seems to be where the logic behind this shutdown could lead.
                        sigpic
                        "Outlined against a blue, gray
                        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-as...rs-flee-cities

I'm 100% convinced the panic and hysteria over this will go down as much more damaging than the actual virus itself.
                          Holy cow. That is horrible.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post

I've also wondered how the shutdown would play out in the courts. At what point can an elected executive overrule the 4th amendment? It raises a number of interesting legal arguments, with slippery slopes, etc. Can other constitutional rights also be ignored in the interest of 'public safety'? If that is the case, can the president censor CNN, arguing that its hyperbole is inciting riots and is thus a threat to public safety? I know that is a far-fetched example, but it seems to be where the logic behind this shutdown could lead.
                            You mean can a person's First Amendent right to shout 'fire' in a crowded theatre be ignored in the interest of 'public safety?' We'll look into that one...
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Now double down!

Oh crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                                You mean can a person's First Amendent right to shout 'fire' in a crowded theatre be ignored in the interest of 'public safety?' We'll look into that one...
                                But isn’t it a matter of degrees? If Covid19 is only killing 0.5% of the people that contract it, can the president or governor temporarily suspend the right to assemble or force you to close your business? What about 0.3%? At what point can our rights be suspended in the name of public safety? We’ve already seen Trump use tariffs on a whim in the name of national security. I’m pretty sure I don’t want him or any other president given more power to shut things down.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X