Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    The open letter is no longer available on Stanford's website. (link to nowhere: https://medicine.stanford.edu/news/c...d-doctors.html)

Stanford probably let their lawyers override their doctors.
    The lawyers haven't reached the The Stanford Daily yet.

Comment

• At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Hey JIC, kinda off topic but I think relevant to the conversation.

When is the best time to get a flu shot? Hard core press to get it now but I tend to get it in late October.

Is there a optimal month to get it? Is there an issue if you get it too early like right now?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by dabrockster; 09-18-2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
        Hey JIC, kinda off topic but I think relevant to the conversation.

When is the best time to get a flu shot? Hard core press to get it now but I tend to get it in late October.

Is there a optimal month to get it? Is there an issue if you get it too early like eight now?

TIA

I am an early October flu shot guy. You don't want to wait too long, but too early may leave you at mild increased risk of there is a late season surge
        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
          I am an early October flu shot guy. You don't want to wait too long, but too early may leave you at mild increased risk of there is a late season surge
          Thanks JIC. I was thinking end of October.

I do have an interesting discussion on COVID I am wondering if you have any knowledge on.

With the BIG10 football happening again, one of the main contributors to this is the daily testing the athletes will have. Today on the sports radio, they spoke in detail about the testing and this new testing being used will allow for COVID to be detected “before” infectivity. Meaning they will determine if you have COVID before you are infectious which will ensure NO spread.

Is this for real? I have never heard of this.. I assume it is fairly new and possibly has not been run through substantial testing but that is very innovative and if can be spread across all sports etc. that is great news.

The innovation coming out of this is amazing to see.

Last edited by dabrockster; 09-19-2020, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• A second case of transverse myelitis has been found in Astra Zeneca’s SARS-CoV-2 vaccine trial:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/19/h...e=articleShare

A company man says that the first case of transverse myelitis was actually an undiagnosed case of MS. I guess that’s possible. But this is concerning. If any more cases pop up we may be back to square one.

And of course with everything else in 2020, Trump’s idiocy has made this worse by pushing a very unrealistic vaccine timetable, making lots of people nervous about the safety of whatever vaccine finally makes it.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• What in the hell is happening over at the CDC?!? They can’t even handle updates to their website:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ne-guidelines/
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                What in the hell is happening over at the CDC?!? They can’t even handle updates to their website:

Ugh. All the anti-science people will make hey with this and say the so called experts don't know what's going on either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  What in the hell is happening over at the CDC?!? They can’t even handle updates to their website:

The CDC's hands are tied. They're a Federal agency, so they occasionally need to be corrected when their findings contradict the Federal narrative. If we've learned anything about Trump, it's that his favorite method of circumventing truth is to poison wells. Intelligence agencies can't be trusted. The FBI can't be trusted. Not even his political appointees can be trusted. Knock down enough institutions, and suddenly you're king of the hill.
                  "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                    The CDC's hands are tied. They're a Federal agency, so they occasionally need to be corrected when their findings contradict the Federal narrative. If we've learned anything about Trump, it's that his favorite method of circumventing truth is to poison wells. Intelligence agencies can't be trusted. The FBI can't be trusted. Not even his political appointees can be trusted. Knock down enough institutions, and suddenly you're king of the hill.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• So, the stuff going on in Europe is pretty interesting regarding the lack of deaths seen with their current surge. So I decided to dive and see what to make of it.

So what I did was look at cases and deaths during three time periods: Onset to 4/21(Group 1). 4/22 to 6/21(group 2). And 6/22 to 9/19(Group 3). I broke out the number deaths and confirmed cases within each grouping and did a Case Fatality Rate(CFR) for each one. For Europe, I took the four hardest hit, UK, Italy, Spain, France, and added everyone's favorite Sweden and Germany. I then compared it to the US as a whole over the same timeline, and then did some subset groups within the US as well. The early surge group was defined as anyone with the initial case surge in April, so NY, NJ, CN, MI, MA,RI, DE, VT, PE

europe usa.jpg

So all 4 groups had a fairly similar pattern. Higher CFR from onset to 6/21. Then dramatic declines after 6/22. The US states not hit early showed a more modest decline from the beginning to now. To me, the trend of lower CFR in Europe right now is not far off from what is currently happening in the US, it is just a dramatic shift from where they started. If you look at Europe and the early hit US states, I think that a healthy majority is explained by a lack of testing. And here is the rationale. The antibody studies in New York in late May suggested that about 20% of NYC and 10% of the rest of the state had been exposed. That would work out to about 2.5 M cases in May, Which works out to a CFR of about 1.7%.

The other contributing thing was that the therapeutic options have increased since the middle of June. That is what you see with the Excluded USA group that helped drop the rate from 3.5 to 1.7%.

Lastly, I think this project has given me a better sense of the CFR. the CFR in places that had crisis standards (europe, Eastern US) was probably about 3.5 to 4.0%. CFR with standard medical treatment, before the proven therapeutics was about 1.7 to 2.2%. And the CFR with therapeutics is probably about 0.7 to 1.1%. I am curious to see how this plays out over the next 3 months to see if the most recent trend holds.
                      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• I would also add that some of the difference between Europe in group 3 and the US is that most of the US has had their initial surge from July on, or are in the middle of it. This world account for the difference between 0.8%and 1.6%. I have some other data that shows that a states CFR will rise 40-60% when they have their initial surge in cases

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• lol. Provo and Orem got put in time out by the governor.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/corona...id-19-measures

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            lol. Provo and Orem got put in time out by the governor.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/corona...id-19-measures
                            Yet he won't do a state-wide mask mandate.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              Yet he won't do a state-wide mask mandate.
                              They wouldn't be followed if he did. The crazy has full reign in Utah right now.

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• Just in case anyone here still had a lingering hope of a vaccine before New Years', the FDA just shot it down:

The guidance, which is far more rigorous than what was used for emergency clearance of hydroxychloroquine or convalescent plasma, is an effort to shore up confidence in an agency that made missteps during the pandemic. While it is being reviewed by the White House Office of Management and Budget, elements of it are already being shared with vaccine makers. Under it, the FDA would ask manufacturers seeking an emergency authorization — a far quicker process than a formal approval — to follow participants in late-stage clinical trials for a median of at least two months, starting after they receive a second vaccine shot, according to two individuals familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss information before it is made public.
                                https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...oval-standard/

The bumbling trifecta of the FDA, CDC, and the Trump administration has been embarrassing. But maybe this move by the FDA will help right the perception that the vaccine is being rushed.
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X