Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
    The Toronto Stake President is a lead researcher at the primary science and research hospital in the city. They enacted SARS protocols in the Stake for two weeks: 1 hour church, bread exclusive to specific rows of pews, rubber gloves for those passing etc.

You should be glad to hear the SARS protocols have been lifted. They are back to two hour church. I take that as a good sign.
    If anything, it's good practice for when they really do need to invoke the protocols.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
      Let's assume your worst fears are true.
      KL is a mother (presumably). Mothers are not rational actors.
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
        Let's assume your worst fears are true. Let's assume that this thing mutates and transmits like crazy and that its lethality is 10 or even 100 times greater than currently calculated. What can you or I do about it right now?

Should people pull their kids out of school and keep them at home?
        Should you start living off your year supply so you never need to leave the house - basically see how long you can stand being a hermit in your own home?

Seems a bit early for that.

What should governments be doing about it? Well, state/local/federal governments should probably be reviewing their outbreak/treatment plans, tracking/measuring the incidence of sickness in their areas. Carefully monitoring hospitals and other health care locations for signs of spread, etc. Seems like they're doing this already.

Should they start closing off cities and towns? Should they start rounding up anyone with a fever or cough and confine them in containment centers? That's going on in China right now but it seems a bit early for that in the US.

Let's say that the SHTF and we truly go into lockdown mode and society starts to collapse. Maybe then it's time to pull the kids out of school. Maybe then it's time to hermit in your house and live off your storage. Maybe then it's time to bug out to your cabin in he hills and go all Grizzly Adams away from other humans.

But it's kind of like the parable of the 10 virgins. You either prepared ahead of time and have oil in your lamp, or you didn't. You either have a 72-hour kit if you need to evacuate Paradise California, or you don't. You either have storage that you could live on if you get locked down in your home for weeks or months, or you don't. You have the cabin in the hills or your don't. (For the record, I don't have a cabin in the hills and a bug-out plan).

If you weren't prepared by the time the SHTF then it's already too late. If you did prepare then you'll deal with the circumstances the best you can, try to help others as best you can, and ultimately some survive and some don't.

The virus is not really different than a hurricane or a flood or any other disaster, the time to prepare for it was months and years in advance. It's too late once everyone realizes the disaster is coming. There isn't much you can do about it at that point.

So, while we're still relatively isolated from the virus in the US, I would recommend you do your best to prepare what you need now. If Amazon is out of masks, maybe check the local hardware store or paint supply store or medical supply store. If you need to beef up your storage, maybe do so this weekend before the panic hits in another week or month from now. And if the panic never hits then at least you've got some oil in your lamp for the next thing that comes along.
        Stop harshing my panic buzz with your rationality.

Comment

Patient Zero

b083fe96fac21a049fb103.jpg
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I'm a little concerned about stuff like this because I'm on a tnf inhibitor that weakens my immune system, but I don't plan on panicking.

Comment

I don't know... maybe when they start burning all the bodies that are stacking up all over the place:

Coronavirus shock: Fears thick smog over Wuhan may be China burning infected bodies

CORONAVIRUS fears have been sparked yet again as a suspicious dense fog has engulfed the quarantined Wuhan area in China, prompting fears that infected bodies may be being cremated.
              [...]
              https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...og-health-news
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Interesting real time map tracking worldwide spread of the coronoavirus.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV Global Cases by Johns Hopkins CSSE

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                  Interesting real time map tracking worldwide spread of the coronoavirus.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV Global Cases by Johns Hopkins CSSE
                  That is a great website. I have been tracking it every day.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I've been taking trips to Taiwan every 3-4 months and had a trip upcoming a few weeks ago. Our Singapore and Hong Kong offices have been closed and everyone is working from home, and all work travel to/from Asia has been postponed. Bummer, I was looking forward to this one.

Edit: Meant to say "upcoming a few weeks from now."
                    Last edited by Tim; 02-10-2020, 05:46 PM.
                    Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      I've been taking trips to Taiwan every 3-4 months and had a trip upcoming a few weeks ago. Our Singapore and Hong Kong offices have been closed and everyone is working from home, and all work travel to/from Asia has been postponed. Bummer, I was looking forward to this one.
                      Timmy!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        That is a great website. I have been tracking it every day.
                        Funny that they list those poor unfortunate souls infected on that cruise ship docked in Yokohama as "others."

Comment

Timmy!
                          Hello, my friend. How are you? How's the family?
                          Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            Hello, my friend. How are you? How's the family?
                            Great. I sent you a pm.

Comment

Funny that they list those poor unfortunate souls infected on that cruise ship docked in Yokohama as "others."
                              Oh man, I feel terrible for those poor foiks on that ship. That would be an absolute nightmare.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

i’ve been using this thread as a dumping ground for my fears, so as not to appear as unhinged as those antivaxxers. Three worrisome developments:

As someone mentioned in another thread, the Chinese authorities now speculate that the incubation period may be up to 24 days

Two japanese men previously excluded from having the virus based on negative test results, now test positive

Scientists have still not found the transmission route. At first they thought it was direct contact, then person-to-person via heavy droplets, then confirming mother-to-fetus, and oral-fecal, now there are reports of aerosolizing.

Comment

Working...
                                X