Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Admittedly I'm not very skilled with the search function on this website, but I didn't find a single post you've made about Bill de Blasio on here. While you're citing this NSC playbook and roasting Trump for not having the foresight that basically the entirety of Europe also lacked, you seem unwilling to say anything about the gaping asshole in New York who was telling everyone to stand up to the xenophobic Trump and carry on with their lives after he shut down travel out of China back in February. The subways were literally still packed less than two weeks ago. South Korea, Japan and Taiwan have past experience with things like SARS, they knew how to deal with this already. Of course it would have been nice to follow their example.

What's the more proximate cause of what's happening in New York right now -- Bill de Blasio not getting control of the public transportation system in NYC or Trump not reading the 2016 pandemic book? It's fine and perfectly in order to criticize Trump's performance here, but you seem to be oddly obsessed with it and while showing little concern for the biggest idiot of them all.

But again, I've never been able to figure out the search function on here, maybe you've already talked about that.
    All good points. Governor Inslee of Washington moved quickly to facilitate/force social distancing and now Washington appears to be flattening its curve. Excellent news. Many hard hit jurisdictions in the U.S. should have moved sooner on that front.

The criticism of the Federal Government in the general, and the Trump Administration in particular, is more than justified. National disasters require centralized planning and response. We can't have states and cities competing with other states and cities for needed supplies and funding, particularly in times of scarcity (like during a pandemic). The Federal Government runs these types of drills to be ready to respond. It also needs a centralized leadership team and secretariat to carry out the planning, training, and response. Trump and his team gutted that function. This is the mess he dealt us. Governors, mayors, congresspeople, business leaders are all stepping into the leadership vacuum, thank goodness.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
      All good points. Governor Inslee of Washington moved quickly to facilitate/force social distancing and now Washington appears to be flattening its curve. Excellent news. Many hard hit jurisdictions in the U.S. should have moved sooner on that front.

The criticism of the Federal Government in the general, and the Trump Administration in particular, is more than justified. National disasters require centralized planning and response. We can't have states and cities competing with other states and cities for needed supplies and funding, particularly in times of scarcity (like during a pandemic). The Federal Government runs these types of drills to be ready to respond. It also needs a centralized leadership team and secretariat to carry out the planning, training, and response. Trump and his team gutted that function. This is the mess he dealt us. Governors, mayors, congresspeople, business leaders are all stepping into the leadership vacuum, thank goodness.
      I read something about two similarly sized cities in Italy whose mayors took entirely different approaches to the 'Rona when it became clear their was a pandemic in China. One of the cities is one of the epicenters of Italy's disaster while the other has several orders of magnitude fewer cases. It tracks what happened in Philly back in 1918 during the Spanish Flu when they went ahead with a massive parade/celebration -- the number disparity between St. Louis and Philly is incredible even when looking at the different size of the cities. Outside of NYC, it appears as if Louisiana is the next hardest hit now that Washington appears to be flattening the curve. Why? Bourbon Street was still packed during the weekend of 3/14-3/15. I'm sure the tourist component of did their job to spread it elsewhere while leaving the natives infected.

In contrast, it appears as if California is handling things well and Gavin Newsome was fairly aggressive dealing with this early on.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• NYC, Nassau, Westchester and Suffolk have around 12 million people, currently they account for around 43% of the cases in the US. I have no idea why New Jersey isn't registering more cases right now, unless the trains going between Jersey and Manhattan simply aren't as packed as all the subways and trains going around the city and around Long Island. I never took a train between New Jersey and New York. But I suspect the prime reason why New York is dealing with this right now is because of spread through the public transportation system with people packed like sardines together. Secondary is touching door knobs and elevator buttons, etc that were touched by hundreds/thousands of people within the past hours/day.

It's incredible that London is dealing with a similar outbreak.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I read something about two similarly sized cities in Italy whose mayors took entirely different approaches to the 'Rona when it became clear their was a pandemic in China. One of the cities is one of the epicenters of Italy's disaster while the other has several orders of magnitude fewer cases. It tracks what happened in Philly back in 1918 during the Spanish Flu when they went ahead with a massive parade/celebration -- the number disparity between St. Louis and Philly is incredible even when looking at the different size of the cities. Outside of NYC, it appears as if Louisiana is the next hardest hit now that Washington appears to be flattening the curve. Why? Bourbon Street was still packed during the weekend of 3/14-3/15. I'm sure the tourist component of did their job to spread it elsewhere while leaving the natives infected.

In contrast, it appears as if California is handling things well and Gavin Newsome was fairly aggressive dealing with this early on.
          Interesting about those towns in Italy.

Yeah, governors and mayors are going to have the most authority in terms of movements and confinements of people. The president can cheer lead one way or the other (or both depending on the day), but the authority is down at that level. That's why a "let's fill the churches on Easter" call by Trump simply won't have an effect if local leaders don't want it to. Governors like Inslee, Newsome, Cuomo, DeWine, and Hogan are looking very good these days. People should follow their leads.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• If you're not going to take the COVID Crisis seriously, steer clear of Rwanda.

Rwandan police shoot dead two men who defied lockdown orders

In a separate incident Wednesday, BBC Africa reported that in southern Rwanda a man flaunted lockdown orders to go fishing and was subsequently eaten by a crocodile, according to the mayor of the district.

Comment

Admittedly I'm not very skilled with the search function on this website, but I didn't find a single post you've made about Bill de Blasio on here. While you're citing this NSC playbook and roasting Trump for not having the foresight that basically the entirety of Europe also lacked, you seem unwilling to say anything about the gaping asshole in New York who was telling everyone to stand up to the xenophobic Trump and carry on with their lives after he shut down travel out of China back in February. The subways were literally still packed less than two weeks ago. South Korea, Japan and Taiwan have past experience with things like SARS, they knew how to deal with this already. Of course it would have been nice to follow their example.

What's the more proximate cause of what's happening in New York right now -- Bill de Blasio not getting control of the public transportation system in NYC or Trump not reading the 2016 pandemic book? It's fine and perfectly in order to criticize Trump's performance here, but you seem to be oddly obsessed with it and while showing little concern for the biggest idiot of them all.

But again, I've never been able to figure out the search function on here, maybe you've already talked about that.
              I aim both barrels on Trump because he is the largest and easiest target for the nation. He, more than any single leader in the US, has allowed an unfocused casual attitude towards the pandemic to take root. All he had to do was step aside and let the experts take over. But he couldn’t even do that right.

I’m sorry if you think I need to play referee and include scorn on every other asshat when I criticize Trump. We have people here who already do that. But as to your question, de Blasio certainly could have done better mitigating the crisis if he acted earlier. Fine with me if you want to call his actions a more proximate cause to the NY crisis than Trump’s.

There’s plenty of blame to go around, from the CDC on down to local leaders. Feel free to use this disclaimer next time I criticize Trump.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

Interesting about those towns in Italy.

Yeah, governors and mayors are going to have the most authority in terms of movements and confinements of people. The president can cheer lead one way or the other (or both depending on the day), but the authority is down at that level. That's why a "let's fill the churches on Easter" call by Trump simply won't have an effect if local leaders don't want it to. Governors like Inslee, Newsome, Cuomo, DeWine, and Hogan are looking very good these days. People should follow their leads.
                Cuomo is benefiting from a lot of selective memory. As late as march 18 he said he would not support a shelter in place order for NYC when de blasio was calling for one. The mass transit system in nyc is also state run so de blasio can't shut it down, only cuomo can. He refused to do so and still does.

Comment

As far as I know those other folks didn’t call it a hoax or choose their own tests. Some people just have to defend Trump at all costs.
                  Last edited by frank ryan; 03-26-2020, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/statu...60548423991296
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                      Yeah who knows how bad it will getis in NYC.

[ATTACH]10093[/ATTACH]
                      this graph doesn't represent new cases, it represents more testing. finding the existing cases. This is a good thing. Kudos to NY state for getting more and more people tested.
                      Last edited by smokymountainrain; 03-26-2020, 07:40 AM.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                        So they now think each infected person passes it on to 3 people.

Comment

Clay Travis is a fun social media follow but he is an idiot.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            agreed, but travis only linked an article. the article is the relevant source here - forget about travis and his dumb comments.

another

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/n...tist-rn5m6nggk
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• A measured look at the balance between shutdown and economic concerns. With links to other takes. Not an easy question.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Clay Travis is not the only person rapidly adjusting their IFR (Infection Fatality Rate) estimates of Covid-19:

Current data from Iceland suggests the IFR is somewhere between 0.05% and 0.14%.
                                https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global...atality-rates/

Maybe Travis made his revised estimate based on this.

What is the IFR of seasonal flu again? 0.1%?
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X