Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Link? I don't think I've seen a masked driver yet, nor have I heard of such a requirement. SFAIK, mask requirements have been left up to cities and counties, with most requiring masks in stores and other public places. I've waved, maskless, at police officers on morning runs, thus far with impunity.
    It's a free-for-all there in California.

Ugh!
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Why Belgium has recorded so many coronavirus deaths

Belgian officials have sought to tamp down concern by suggesting their chart-topping numbers are products of their accounting methods and commitment to capturing an accurate picture of their outbreak. Other ways of estimating virus-related deaths suggest that the Belgian method might indeed turn out to be among the most accurate in the world, and that other countries may be significantly undercounting their death tolls.

The bad news for Belgium is that even in those other calculations, the country still comes off poorly compared to its neighbors, after adjusting for their size.

According to figures released Sunday, Belgium has recorded 9,052 deaths from the coronavirus. Of those, about 40 percent are “possible cases,” not confirmed by tests. Most countries do not include suspected cases that weren’t positively confirmed.

“Our way of counting things is the most scientifically correct and honest,” Yves Van Laethem, a virologist and Belgian government spokesman, told reporters Friday.

Van Laethem showed reporters a slide of calculations from the Economist magazine indicating that Belgium’s official coronavirus toll closely tracks “excess deaths” for the pandemic period — the number of deaths that exceed what would be expected for the period, based on the country’s historical death rates. Belgium attributed 7,559 deaths between March 16 and April 26 to the coronavirus. The Economist estimated that the country had 7,397 more deaths in that time period than would have been expected.

By comparison, a team of Yale researchers who analyzed U.S. mortality data in partnership with The Washington Post this month estimated that, with excess deaths as a guide, the true toll could be one and a half times higher than the official number.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• I see masked drivers every day, primarily around the hospital I guess so maybe that doesn’t count.

I have a neighbor who takes his shoes off in his car parked at the curb every time he comes home and walks into his house in his socks.

You can’t be too careful!!

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
          I was thinking it is a no better time. We're all living in their world now.
          It's not a great time for OCD people. The distress makes their symptoms way worse.

Comment

Link? I don't think I've seen a masked driver yet, nor have I heard of such a requirement. SFAIK, mask requirements have been left up to cities and counties, with most requiring masks in stores and other public places. I've waved, maskless, at police officers on morning runs, thus far with impunity.
            Sorry. I overstated. It’s Garcetti’s requirement in LA.
            “Bring your mask with you whenever you leave your home,” Garcetti said. “That will help us get more freedoms.”
            https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-restrictions

I’m sure that if you were in LA you’d have seen it. And I see people driving alone in their cars wearing masks all the time, and not around hospitals.

But don’t mock. These people have SCIENCE on their side. The Covid Czar in LA has a degree in social work.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
              Sorry. I overstated. It’s Garcetti’s requirement in LA.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-restrictions

I’m sure that if you were in LA you’d have seen it. And I see people driving alone in their cars wearing masks all the time, and not around hospitals.

But don’t mock. These people have SCIENCE on their side. The Covid Czar in LA has a degree in social work.
              But Garcetti is only saying one should "bring" your mask whenever you leave your home, not that it needs to be on at all times, unless there's more to his statement. I assume most of those wearing masks while they drive are those who have just come from a populated venue and haven't thought to remove it yet. I'm all for mask-wearing when it makes sense. I played my first round of golf in many weeks yesterday, and wore a mask on the driving range and at check-in, but was otherwise maskless. In the Bay Area, that's sufficient, apparently. You aren't deriding those wearing masks in grocery stores, office buildings, etc., are you?

Comment

• From what I am seeing in the headlines with respect to the Theodore Roosevelt (USN aircraft carrier):
                • Over 1,000 of the approximately 4,800 crewmembers have tested positive for the virus;
                • Of those who have recovered (completed quarantine and tested negative twice before reboarding), several have tested positive again; and
                • still just one sailor has died from COVID-19.

Maybe a submarine would be closer quarters, but it’s pretty cramped on those carriers. They can’t exactly give a 6-foot buffer when walking past others in most parts of the ship. That said, slightly more than 20% are infected, with a death rate of less than one-tenth of one percent of those infected.

The letter from the captain got the attention, but there is value in observing this somewhat controlled population over time.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

But Garcetti is only saying one should "bring" your mask whenever you leave your home, not that it needs to be on at all times, unless there's more to his statement. I assume most of those wearing masks while they drive are those who have just come from a populated venue and haven't thought to remove it yet. I'm all for mask-wearing when it makes sense. I played my first round of golf in many weeks yesterday, and wore a mask on the driving range and at check-in, but was otherwise maskless. In the Bay Area, that's sufficient, apparently. You aren't deriding those wearing masks in grocery stores, office buildings, etc., are you?
                  No. I’ve made myself clear. I’m all for masks, social distancing, individual self-protection of any sort, rather than uniform one size fits all nationwide clampdown. You can’t get rid of the latter without the former. I’m for restaurants with no masks with adequate social distancing. And I don’t want to get infected.

Today on the trail in Discovery Park it was crowded. Almost nobody was wearing masks in the park. I was moving fast as I could on the trail and when encountered folks, they or I politely gave way and turned out. I wizzed by, minimizing contact (as you know, I’m fast as Mercury).

The parking lots in the park are closed, so cars line the streets for blocks. Well done, government! All governments are stupid, but our city government is especially bad. Fortunately, I don’t have to drive there.

Ben Shapiro lives in LA and he says he’s required to wear a mask when driving alone. But he’s not doing it.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

No. I’ve made myself clear. I’m all for masks, social distancing, individual self-protection of any sort, rather than uniform one size fits all nationwide clampdown. You can’t get rid of the latter without the former. I’m for restaurants with no masks with adequate social distancing. And I don’t want to get infected.

Today on the trail in Discovery Park it was crowded. Almost nobody was wearing masks in the park. I was moving fast as I could on the trail and when encountered folks, they or I politely gave way and turned out. I wizzed by, minimizing contact (as you know, I’m fast as Mercury).

The parking lots in the park are closed, so cars line the streets for blocks. Well done, government! All governments are stupid, but our city government is especially bad. Fortunately, I don’t have to drive there.

Ben Shapiro lives in LA and he says he’s required to wear a mask when driving alone. But he’s not doing it.
                    A quick internet perusal mentions no requirement to wear a mask in your car. But Ben can still pretend he’s fighting the good fight I suppose.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

ben better be careful and follow the rules otherwise mommy will stop bringing his chicken tendies directly to his room so he can keep talking to his podcast friends.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• This is a good problem to have (finally, after more than two months). At lease, in Utah.

As coronavirus testing expands, a new problem arises: Not enough people to test

A Washington Post survey of governors’ offices and state health departments found at least a dozen states where testing capacity outstrips the supply of patients. Many have scrambled to make testing more convenient, especially for vulnerable communities, by setting up pop-up sites and developing apps that help assess symptoms, find free test sites and deliver quick results.

But the numbers, while rising, are well short of capacity — and far short of targets set by independent experts. Utah, for example, is conducting about 3,500 tests a day, a little more than a third of its 9,000-test maximum capacity, and health officials have erected highway billboards begging drivers to “GET TESTED FOR COVID-19.”

Why aren’t more people showing up? “Well, that’s the million-dollar question,” said Utah Health Department spokesman Tom Hudachko. “It could be simply that people don’t want to be tested. It could be that people feel like they don’t need to be tested. It could be that people are so mildly symptomatic that they’re just not concerned that having a positive lab result would actually change their course in any meaningful way.”
                        So how does it work in Utah? If you want a test, can you get one, even if you're not symptomatic?

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          A quick internet perusal mentions no requirement to wear a mask in your car. But Ben can still pretend he’s fighting the good fight I suppose.
                          Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          ben better be careful and follow the rules otherwise mommy will stop bringing his chicken tendies directly to his room so he can keep talking to his podcast friends.
                          lol

Not the best source of information.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            1. Open packaging
                            2. Remove tart(s) from packaging
                            3. Insert tart(s) into your orifice
                            4. Masticate tart(s)
                            5. Swallow tart(s)
                            6. Digest tart(s)
                            7. Excrete tart(s)

Note: toasting tart(s) wastes electricity and dries out the tart(s), and is not recommended.
                            But see s’mores tarts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              Stunning and brave.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                                This is a good problem to have (finally, after more than two months). At lease, in Utah.

As coronavirus testing expands, a new problem arises: Not enough people to test

So how does it work in Utah? If you want a test, can you get one, even if you're not symptomatic?
                                Yep.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X