Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Congrats on your recovery!

We have a 2 week Hawaii trip scheduled in November, including a condo right on Napili Bay for one of the weeks. We are assuming they will still have their protocols in place to require a negative test just prior to coming. My wife is considering not going, because she is afraid of the nasal swab
    Maybe it will mutate to a lower GI virus by then and she can avoid the nasal swab, but that said, . . . .
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

We have a 2 week Hawaii trip scheduled in November, including a condo right on Napili Bay for one of the weeks. We are assuming they will still have their protocols in place to require a negative test just prior to coming. My wife is considering not going, because she is afraid of the nasal swab
      The nasal swab was weird and cringey and uncomfortable, but wasn't painful or anything. Think of snorting the top of a super thin pipe cleaner up into your sinuses and then having someone swish it around and pull it out. Your eyes will water for sure and you have to blow your nose afterwards, but nothing more severe.

And when I tested positive I paid for the test through a local clinic and was surprised when they had me do a spit-in-the-cup test. That was a little more time consuming to sit there and spit in the cup until I filled to the little line- probably the main reason they do the nasal swab for mass testing. Maybe you can request that one. It cost me like $130 out of pocket.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I hope you have trip insurance. Talking to family they may be shutting things down again over there.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

We have a one-week timeshare at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club, reserved for mid-August. The current requirement calls for a negative result from a test taken no more than 72 hours before takeoff from the States. Given that results don't become available from the nearby testing centers for at least five days, this makes it impossible for us to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            We have a one-week timeshare at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club, reserved for mid-August. The current requirement calls for a negative result from a test taken no more than 72 hours before takeoff from the States. Given that results don't become available from the nearby testing centers for at least five days, this makes it impossible for us to go.
            May I suggest a broken bone or other self-induced injury that necessitates a trip to the ER? And then claim recent contact with a COVID positive patient? As long as you do it at a hospital that is big enough, they may do the testing in house. You could have results in a couple of hours. You may not be able to snorkel with a cast on, but hey, Hawaii!
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              May I suggest a broken bone or other self-induced injury that necessitates a trip to the ER? And then claim recent contact with a COVID positive patient? As long as you do it at a hospital that is big enough, they may do the testing in house. You could have results in a couple of hours. You may not be able to snorkel with a cast on, but hey, Hawaii!
              This is the type of outside-the-box thinking that draws me back to CS day after day.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Some optimism from a Pfizer executive who is also a New England Area Seventy:

https://latterdaysaintmag.com/area-s...s-on-covid-19/

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                  Some optimism from a Pfizer executive who is also a New England Area Seventy:

https://latterdaysaintmag.com/area-s...s-on-covid-19/
                  That was very good. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• That was very interesting and optimistic. Thank you.

Comment

• That makes me feel a little better about things. Ready to be rid of this thing.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• I hope his optimism is well placed, and we have a working vaccine soon. Having said that:

That interview came off as a Pfizer promotional commercial. There are some valid reasons why they are developing that type of vaccine, especially in the face of a pandemic. But there are just as valid reasons to work on a live vaccine. There may be significant differences in immunity between a live and their version of a vaccine. And I know if they were to get into those details in the interview it would have quickly gotten bogged down. But since he already has a GA hat, his rooting for Pfizer (I acknowledge it could have been worse) is unseemly. IMO, it would have been a much better interview had he kept his COVID talk to the basics.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

I hope his optimism is well placed, and we have a working vaccine soon. Having said that:

That interview came off as a Pfizer promotional commercial. There are some valid reasons why they are developing that type of vaccine, especially in the face of a pandemic. But there are just as valid reasons to work on a live vaccine. There may be significant differences in immunity between a live and their version of a vaccine. And I know if they were to get into those details in the interview it would have quickly gotten bogged down. But since he already has a GA hat, his rooting for Pfizer (I acknowledge it could have been worse) is unseemly. IMO, it would have been a much better interview had he kept his COVID talk to the basics.
                          Or kept his GAness status out of the conversation.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I hope his optimism is well placed, and we have a working vaccine soon. Having said that:

You don’t sound convinced their type of vaccine will work. And it sounds like they have multiple vaccines in the works, it’s just this new type that is faster.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              You don’t sound convinced their type of vaccine will work. And it sounds like they have multiple vaccines in the works, it’s just this new type that is faster.

No I don’t believe that. The vaccine that they’re working on is quicker to develop than a live attenuated one, which in the face of a global pandemic is smart. Hopefully it will confer sufficient immunity. It’s just that in general a live attenuated vaccine confers stronger and more durable immunity. And that could still be a strategy for COVID in the future.

This is kind of analogous to the Salk v Sabin vaccines for polio. Both conferred immunity, but Sabin’s live vaccine was more effective (with the downside of causing rare cases of polio...).
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• djt leading the way for the gang of dumb dumbs!

Comment

Working...
                                X