Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Holy cow. That is horrible.
    What the hell did people think would happen? As you know, it was clear to me. Only (relatively) rich, ignorant Americans could delude themselves that this wouldn't damage or destroy hundreds of millions if not billions of lives. In poor countries they can't afford to shut down. Bolsonaro in Brazil knows he doesn't have the luxury to shut down like America. The West may have caused the biggest genocide since WII in inducing the planet to shut down its economies, while really now knowing what the benefit would be.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Covid-19 Flares Up in America's Polluted ‘Sacrifice Zones’

https://www.wired.com/story/covid-19...crifice-zones/

“These communities are being sacrificed to the benefits of other communities,” says Sacoby Wilson, an associate professor at the University of Maryland-College Park’s School of Public Health. “They do not have to live with the petrochemical operations, the oil factories, the incinerators or paper mills.”

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        What the hell did people think would happen? As you know, it was clear to me. Only (relatively) rich, ignorant Americans could delude themselves that this wouldn't damage or destroy hundreds of millions if not billions of lives. In poor countries they can't afford to shut down. Bolsonaro in Brazil knows he doesn't have the luxury to shut down like America. The West may have caused the biggest genocide since WII in inducing the planet to shut down its economies, while really now knowing what the benefit would be.

JP Morgan Research...

Lockdowns failed to alter the course of pandemic and are now destroying millions of livelihoods worldwide, JP Morgan study claims
        • JP Morgan research said infection rates had fallen since lockdowns were eased
        • It suggested the virus 'has its own dynamics' which are 'unrelated' to lockdowns
        • Report said they were imposed with little thought of 'economic devastation'

Coronavirus lockdowns have failed to alter the course of the pandemic but have instead 'destroyed millions of livelihoods', a JP Morgan study has claimed.

Falling infection rates since lockdowns were lifted suggest that the virus 'likely has its own dynamics' which are 'unrelated to often inconsistent lockdown measures', a report published by the financial services giant said.

Denmark is among the countries which has seen its R rate continue to fall after schools and shopping malls re-opened, while Germany's rate has mostly remained below 1.0 after the lockdown was eased.

The report also shows many US states including Alabama, Wisconsin and Colorado enjoying lower R rates after lockdown measures were lifted.

Author Marko Kolanovic, a trained physicist and a strategist for JP Morgan, said governments had been spooked by 'flawed scientific papers' into imposing lockdowns which were 'inefficient or late' and had little effect.

'Unlike rigorous testing of new drugs, lockdowns were administered with little consideration that they might not only cause economic devastation but potentially more deaths than Covid-19 itself,' he claimed.

The JP Morgan report includes graphs showing that 'the vast majority of countries had decreased infection rates' after lockdowns were lifted.

Infection rates have continued to decline even once a lag period for new infections to become visible is factored in, the report says.

A second graph shows a similar effect in the US, showing that many states saw a lower rate of transmission (R) after full-scale lockdowns were ended.

They included Colorado, Iowa, Alabama, Wyoming, Wisconsin and Mississippi, according to the chart, although not all states are included.
        [...]

Apocalyptic predictions from the Bank and England and others show the UK is on track for the worst recession in 300 years, when the Great Frost swept Europe
        [...]
        https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dy-claims.html

It is interesting to note that about 30% of the deaths in the US are in NY/NJ and about 60% of those deaths are from Cuomo's nursing ("death") homes. In Minnesota 70% of the deaths are in nursing homes.

It seems that most of the deaths in this country are due to people like Cuomo and their bad policies/decisions over hyped up BS models.

Last edited by Uncle Ted; 05-26-2020, 06:16 AM.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• It should have been obvious to us that the lockdown model wasn't correct when we saw Asian countries start to come out of lockdown early in our lockdown process and saw no "second waves".

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            JP Morgan Research...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dy-claims.html

It is interesting to note that about 30% of the deaths in the US are in NY/NJ and about 60% of those deaths are from Cuomo's nursing ("death") homes. In Minnesota 70% of the deaths are in nursing homes.

It seems that most of the deaths in this country are due to people like Cuomo and their bad policies/decisions over hyped up BS models.
            The stats in that article are even worse for the lockdown when you consider that testing has basically doubled over the last couple weeks so more cases are being officially identified as COVID 19 whereas at the beginning cases were undercounted.

And Cuomo's decision on nursing homes is borderline criminal and one of the dumber decisions made, if not the dumbest, in this whole thing.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• It's as though governments asked the people to stop breathing.
              Last edited by SeattleUte; 05-26-2020, 07:13 AM.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                You mean can a person's First Amendent right to shout 'fire' in a crowded theatre be ignored in the interest of 'public safety?' We'll look into that one...
                No, that's not what I mean. I mean determining the public safety equivalent of shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre is difficult to measure.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  But isn’t it a matter of degrees? If Covid19 is only killing 0.5% of the people that contract it, can the president or governor temporarily suspend the right to assemble or force you to close your business? What about 0.3%? At what point can our rights be suspended in the name of public safety? We’ve already seen Trump use tariffs on a whim in the name of national security. I’m pretty sure I don’t want him or any other president given more power to shut things down.
                  The relevant number here isn't the mortality-- obviously a lot other diseases kill more people-- but how infectious it is. If it was an STD then no- obviously nothing would be shut down. But, seeing as how it's an airborne respiratory virus that may be passed along with casual contact, broad sweeping precautions may be in order, depending on what the prevailing science says.

I think these kinds of preventative measures are a lot harder for people to perform than they admit. People are protesting to reopen everything, so things are now reopened, but when they attach the caveat that you need to wear a mask to stem the spread of your droplets, people start shooting others in the head. Trump doesn't have the power to shut things down, but he is supposed to be leading the way and setting guidelines and allocating the proper federal resources to facilitate a swift response and solution. Instead he's talking out of both sides of his mouth, sowing discord and discontent, and widening the divide in this country. I never thought a president would intentionally culture-war the response to a pandemic, but here we fucking are. Vladimir is probably grinning from ear to ear...
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    The stats in that article are even worse for the lockdown when you consider that testing has basically doubled over the last couple weeks so more cases are being officially identified as COVID 19 whereas at the beginning cases were undercounted.

And Cuomo's decision on nursing homes is borderline criminal and one of the dumber decisions made, if not the dumbest, in this whole thing.
                    Cuomo has been average at best in his response. But he does a lot of press conferences and is smooth and doesn't tweet like a moron and has a (D) after his name so we get the narrative that he is a national hero.

If a republican had done what Cuomo did with the nursing homes, their political career would be over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                      Cuomo has been average at best in his response. But he does a lot of press conferences and is smooth and doesn't tweet like a moron and has a (D) after his name so we get the narrative that he is a national hero.

If a republican had done what Cuomo did with the nursing homes, their political career would be over.
                      Poor, persecuted republicans. When was the last time a republican's career was over because of something outrageous they did? Political propriety is no longer a thing. It hasn't been since the pu$#y-grabbing tape was released and it wasn't a big deal. We are entering a time when there are no rules. Simply power and expediency. We are entering Thunderdome.
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                        Poor, persecuted republicans. When was the last time a republican's career was over because of something outrageous they did? Political propriety is no longer a thing. It hasn't been since the pu$#y-grabbing tape was released and it wasn't a big deal. We are entering a time when there are no rules. Simply power and expediency. We are entering Thunderdome.
                        Yeah, that is a crazy assertion to make in the age of Trump.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Lol!!!

Comment

I don't give a crap about Republicans. Just pointing out some obvious media bias toward a pretty mediocre governor in whose policies I have a vested interest.

Man this place has gotten weird.

Comment

Yeah, Drumpf only talked about grabbing pu$#y (like in the locker room)... Biden actually did the deed! It must be the car:

Which reminds me... There is a book out about some of Biden's good times in this car:

https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=3eA0DwAAQBAJ

I wonder how many chicks Joe and the Obam'er picked up in that bitch'n machine.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I don't give a crap about Republicans. Just pointing out some obvious media bias toward a pretty mediocre governor in whose policies I have a vested interest.

Man this place has gotten weird.
                                Nah we just think it's funny that actual bona fide pedophile Republicans are only narrowly losing races for U.S. senate, Trump is the president, yet any of their careers would be over if they had messed up like Cuomo did.
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                                X