Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Should be okay to let gardeners and pool cleaners work as long as no on else is in the hard or the neighbors' yards or the street.
    Yeah, but be sure to spray some Lysol around the yard when they are done and have left... You can never be too safe!

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      Should be okay to let gardeners and pool cleaners work as long as no on else is in the hard or the neighbors' yards or the street.
      The lawn guys haven't stopped around here. They have been out in full force. But only two people on my street use them and I am not one of them, but they do a nice job for the retired couple across the street.

I did talk to one of the local ranchers this morning. He was out irrigating some fields where I was on my run below Warren Bench. All of his cows were social distancing from us. So all good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Crazy to me how people think this is such a huge imposition. If you go to Japan during a non-pandemic time you will see maybe 2-5% of the population wearing a mask. If they have any kind of cold or cough, they always wear a mask in public. It is just considered good public etiquette.
        Bingo!

It was one of the effective measures used and enforced in 1918. San Francisco saw a resurgence in the flu (a third wave) after it celebrated the removal of its mask requirement in Nov-Dec 2018. If we are going to insist on a more aggressive reopening in hard hit areas and where new cases and deaths are plateaued at a high level or even still on the rise, then masks should be an essential element of that strategy.

These surprisingly relevant vintage ads show how officials tried to convince people to wear masks after many refused during the 1918 flu pandemic

1918 masks.jpg
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
          After over two weeks of daily community spread new cases below 10 (somedays at 0), Korea reported 17 community spread cases today. The outbreak is centered around five nightclubs in Itaewon, a popular entertainment district in Seoul (near the closing Yongsan U.S. Army Base). We've been receiving disaster alerts via cell phone identifying the night clubs (King, Queen, Soho, Trunk, and Him) and telling people that if they frequented those nightclubs between April 29-May 6, they need to get tested. New cases related to these night clubs are now over 20. Many of the alerts are coming from provincial governments outside of Seoul warning their citizens that may of gone to those particular bars that they need to get tested.

The Korean Government has warned about these types of outbreaks as they try to transition less strict social distancing recommendations. They've obviously come out in force to test and contact trace to shut this spread down ASAP. This transparency let's people know where the spread is and allows them to manage their risk of infection and gives everyone greater confidence in going out. It also allows the country to move forward in opening the economy with greater ability to protect its citizens.
          100 new cases since the beginning of this latest outbreak. They count 5,500 contacts and have tracke down 3,000 of them, even using credit card usage to find people. A grand reopening of schools has been pushed back another week and Seoul city plans to run its airconditioned buses with all windows open this summer to prevent possible COVID transmission in closed spaces. Facemask usage is 99.9%
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...g-and-nothing/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• I checked in on my favorite conservative conspiracy theory radio today during the drive in to work. Note - the following is all as reported by the conspiracy theorists themselves:

Apparently someone in congress has proposed a bill - ironically enough numbered 6666 - that will require everyone to be tested and traced. Everyone who tests positive will get an ankle bracelet to monitor them and make sure they remain quarantined in their homes. Everyone else will receive the mark of the beast. I'm not sure how - they didn't make that connection.

Apparently the US took the entirely wrong approach with COVID. In Sweden, because they didn't lock things down, they went through the entire pandemic without any problems at all and with very few people getting sick and now they have herd immunity. I'm not sure I understand how they got herd immunity with very few people actually getting sick - but sign me up for that plan!

Biden is cooked. He was present during all of the Obamagate stuff and is connected to all of it, so he can't be elected. The Dems are going to nominate Hillary or Michelle Obama at convention and dump Biden.

After the President of Tanzania tricked WHO into showing that their COVID testing is a joke and fired everyone in the labs who were involved in that scandal, he had their other scientists develop a COVID test that costs $5, has results within minutes, and can be administered on a person by themselves at home. They just have to put some saliva or blood on a strip and watch which color appears. Meanwhile, in the US the deep state is purposefully utilizing this entire made up pandemic as a means to control people and spend money. They know the tests they have are expensive and don't work, but they don't care. They just want people to stay scared and stay home.

There - now you're all caught up in what's really going on in the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                I checked in on my favorite conservative conspiracy theory radio today during the drive in to work. Note - the following is all as reported by the conspiracy theorists themselves:

Apparently someone in congress has proposed a bill - ironically enough numbered 6666 - that will require everyone to be tested and traced. Everyone who tests positive will get an ankle bracelet to monitor them and make sure they remain quarantined in their homes. Everyone else will receive the mark of the beast. I'm not sure how - they didn't make that connection.

Apparently the US took the entirely wrong approach with COVID. In Sweden, because they didn't lock things down, they went through the entire pandemic without any problems at all and with very few people getting sick and now they have herd immunity. I'm not sure I understand how they got herd immunity with very few people actually getting sick - but sign me up for that plan!

Biden is cooked. He was present during all of the Obamagate stuff and is connected to all of it, so he can't be elected. The Dems are going to nominate Hillary or Michelle Obama at convention and dump Biden.

After the President of Tanzania tricked WHO into showing that their COVID testing is a joke and fired everyone in the labs who were involved in that scandal, he had their other scientists develop a COVID test that costs $5, has results within minutes, and can be administered on a person by themselves at home. They just have to put some saliva or blood on a strip and watch which color appears. Meanwhile, in the US the deep state is purposefully utilizing this entire made up pandemic as a means to control people and spend money. They know the tests they have are expensive and don't work, but they don't care. They just want people to stay scared and stay home.

There - now you're all caught up in what's really going on in the world.
                If I want conspiracy theories, I just talk to my mother-in-law. She’s convinced the government is going to microchip us and bill gates is the devil. She’s also believes dinosaur bones came from the parts of other worlds god used to create the earth. I also love her like crazy and would run through a wall for her because I don’t know a more selfless person in the world.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Those clever Tanzanians. Would that our society could be as awesome as theirs, with their per-capita GDP ranking them 155 out of 189 countries and territories in the world. "Right in the meaty part of the curve!", as George Costanza would say.

Well, maybe a little on the lower side of meaty. But right there below Tajikistan and above Lesotho, so that's nothing to sneeze at. Go Tanzania!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    If I want conspiracy theories, I just talk to my mother-in-law. She’s convinced the government is going to microchip us and bill gates is the devil. She’s also believes dinosaur bones came from the parts of other worlds god used to create the earth. I also love her like crazy and would run through a wall for her because I don’t know a more selfless person in the world.
                    I only recently discovered that Bill Gates figures so prominently in global conspiracy theories. And here I thought he was a smart, generous philanthropist.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• It looks like the Chinese got to Cuomo...

I wonder how many fortune cookies he was paid.

Mods, please update the name of this thread to reflect the new name. TIA.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Interesting deep dive into the "what is the dollar value of a human life?" question. Discusses the history of this kind of economic analysis, old vs young, etc.

https://www.wired.com/story/how-much...th-in-dollars/

tl;dr summary: quarantine saves us money in the long run

Also, an interesting comment on models:

From a public health and political standpoint, one of the worst things that can happen to a model is that it works. If a model inspires a government to institute social distancing, it becomes a reverse Toynbee Convector, precluding the future it predicts through the act of predicting it. That’s the source of the public phenomenon known as the paradox of prevention—if it works, people assume the thing it was trying to fix must not have been that bad.
                        Definitely a lot of that going on.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Interesting deep dive into the "what is the dollar value of a human life?" question. Discusses the history of this kind of economic analysis, old vs young, etc.

There are also a lot of crappy models. GIGO.

Comment

Interesting deep dive into the "what is the dollar value of a human life?" question. Discusses the history of this kind of economic analysis, old vs young, etc.

Yes! Prevention is never appreciated.

Public health is a victim of its own success. A lot of people have no idea that millions of dollars goes into keep pools and restaurants safe and killing mosquitos in Utah and elsewhere. When politicians figure it out they say things like “I’ve never known anybody to get sick from a public pool or restaurant or mosquito-borne illness. Why do we spend money on this?”

In my job it’s the same thing. Open up a blockage during a heart attack and the patients love you. Try to get them to take blood pressure and cholesterol meds to prevent the next heart attack and they say “Why are you asking me to put all these toxins in my body?”

Even people who go 30 years without a problem thanks to good meds never credit the preventive efforts.
                            Last edited by CardiacCoug; 05-12-2020, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                              There are also a lot of crappy models. GIGO.
                              And we're back to the Janeen Brady stuff. You just can't escape her! (Start at 00:34 for a real treat)

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                                http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...g-and-nothing/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
                                Good article but lacking in sources so it's hard to judge its credibility. I found this part about children really interesting.

A recent review by paediatricians could not find a single case of a child passing the disease on and said the evidence ‘consistently demonstrates reduced infection and infectivity of children in the transmission chain’. One boy who caught it while skiing failed to give it to 170 contacts, but he also had both flu and a cold, which he donated to two siblings. Children appear to have ACE2 receptors, the cellular lock that the coronavirus picks, in their noses but not their lungs.
                                It's basically saying that a high percentage of children are practically immune to the virus and those who do get are unlikely to pass it on. People under 20 make up about just under 30% of the population. If the quote is true, that's a good start toward herd immunity.

It would also have positive implications for restarting schools, opening playgrounds, and allowing youth sports.

Comment

Working...
                                X