View Poll Results: At what point did/will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • From the Social Media rumors at the very beginning

2 4.44%
  • When CCP abruptly stopped arresting journalists, and announced 3 hospitals in 1 week

5 11.11%
  • When I tried to buy masks online from Amazon, Home Depot & Lowes, only to find everywhere sold out

1 2.22%
  • When WHO declared a global emergency

6 13.33%
  • When the US closed its borders to non-americans

3 6.67%
  • When the lethality passed SARS

0 0%
  • When they cancel Church in my area

3 6.67%
  • I'm still not going to panic

25 55.56%
Page 74 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 3724

Thread: At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    This was a justified fear that is not being borne out in the US. Cuomo says they haven't lost a single person due to lack of care. Everyone that needed a ventilator has received one. Washington is packing up their emergency field hospital the feds set up for them and sending it to another state without it having seen a single patient. Yes we had to flex and increase to meet the demand but we appear to have done so successfully. Cuomo's pause contributed greatly to bending the curve down below the increased capacity in NYC, no doubt.
    Excellent news. We did need to flex in order to avoid an overload.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Been watching Pandemic on Netflix. So weird to see the concerns expressed and alarm bells raised in the series being played out in real time now.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Get back to me when you have good patient data.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... patient data. How long is that going to take?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Excellent news. We did need to flex in order to avoid an overload.
    You know this? Is this your field?
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    You know this? Is this your field?
    lol

Korea reporting only 39 new cases since yesterday, 23 from incoming passengers at the airport, and only 16 through domestic spread.

All based on over 11,000 tests yesterday.

Still cautious. Aggressive testing is the key.

This is a goalpost move. We were arguing before about what the at-risk population is dying from right now. Where is your evidence that the COVID deaths are vastly overestimated?
    Birx and Fauci agree with you. Good company.

Birx and Fauci: Theories that the U.S. coronavirus death toll is inflated are inaccurate

“Those individuals will have an underlying condition,” she said, “but that underlying condition did not cause their acute death when it’s related to a covid infection.”

Underlying medical conditions do not cause covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, but can increase a person’s risk of contracting it and dying of it, according to guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, so those conditions should be reported as part of certifying deaths but should not be listed as the condition that led directly to death.

Utah is testing about a third of its capacity. Gov Herbert says we can test 3000-4000 per day, and want to get up to 7000 per day. But on Tuesday, it was right around 1250. So are they trying to stick to same requirements for getting tested for modeling purposes?

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Ha. You guys still trying to reason with SU. Good luck with that.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I honestly do not understand how this is inflated COVID deaths is an semi-serious argument. Does not compute.

Birx also noted (without giving examples) that there are several countries that are not recording all people who die with COVID19 as COVID19 deaths. Those countries are recording them as due to the underlying condition per SU's argument. But she reiterated that in the US anyone who has COVID and dies in the hospital is recorded as a COVID death. I think the deaths are probably undercounted, but not drastically. We seem to have the medical capacity to give all the acute cases the best care possible, and that is what is most important. For the death rate I am more interested in the denominator because I think the official number of infected is off by orders of magnitude.

I am not an epidemiologist but I do manage projects for mass transit systems which are recognized as a probable major spreader of the virus, so everyone should listen to me.

I honestly do not understand how this is inflated COVID deaths is an semi-serious argument. Does not compute.
    The IHME model was updated today... The projected deaths in the US is now 60,415. It was 81,766 yesterday. Apparently the projections were inflated.

Utah now has a projection of 163 deaths.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    The IHME model was updated today... The projected deaths in the US is now 60,415. It was 81,766 yesterday. Apparently the projections were inflated.

No, I’m talking about the truther claim that COVID deaths are overestimated because higher risk patients are dying with, rather than from COVID.

The decreased projection is a welcome sign.

Herd immunity in CA?

New study investigates California's possible herd immunity to COVID-19

Researchers at Stanford Medicine are working to find out what proportion of Californians have already had COVID-19. The new study could help policymakers make more informed decisions during the coronavirus pandemic.

The team tested 3,200 people at three Bay Area locations on Saturday using an antibody test for COVID-19 and expect to release results in the coming weeks. The data could help to prove COVID-19 arrived undetected in California much earlier than previously thought.

The hypothesis that COVID-19 first started spreading in California in the fall of 2019 is one explanation for the state's lower than expected case numbers.

As of Tuesday, the state had 374 reported COVID-19 fatalities in a state of 40 million people, compared to New York which has seen 14 times as many fatalities and has a population half that of California. Social distancing could be playing a role but New York's stay-at-home order went into effect on March 22, three days after California implemented its order.

"Something is going on that we haven't quite found out yet," said Victor Davis Hanson a senior fellow with Stanford's Hoover Institute.

Hanson said he thinks it is possible COVID-19 has been spreading among Californians since the fall when doctors reported an early flu season in the state. During that same time, California was welcoming as many as 8,000 Chinese nationals daily into our airports. Some of those visitors even arriving on direct flights from Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in China.
    [...]
    https://www.ksbw.com/article/new-stu...d-19/32073873#
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

It's going to be hysterical if it turns out it spread from California to China, not the other way around.

So WTF is this?

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/04/...virus-updates/

Salt Lake City has created an online COVID-19 compliance form for residents to fill out if they believe an individual is not complying with Salt Lake County’s stay-at-home order in a public space within the capital city’s limits.

The form asks for the complainant’s contact info, as well as the location and date where the incident occurred. Residents can also upload a file — like pictures or video — with documentation of non-compliance. To file a complaint against a business that is not complying with the public health order, residents can call the Salt Lake County Health Department between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on weekdays at 385-468-4636.
    Compliance with the county’s order is mandatory, and violators can be charged with a class B misdemeanor, which is punishable by up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine — though Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson has said enforcement will focus on egregious infractions and that most people will receive a warning first. The county’s order lasts until April 13, though Wilson has said she is considering extending that through Memorial Day or longer.
    The sooner we can start coming out of lockdown the better because this is going to start getting really big brothery really fast. Between local governments encouraging informing on their neighbors and flying drones over the public with speakers telling them to disperse and Jared Kushner's national coronavirus database, this is not going in a direction I like.

Well, Hoover Institute academics have been pretty "on" on COVID-19 stuff, so this looks promising.

Dr. Obamacare thinks we should continue with the lockdown for 18 month...

Biden adviser, ObamaCare architect Zeke Emanuel says US should 'prepare' for coronavirus measures to last 18 months

Dr. Zeke Emanuel, an adviser to Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden on the coronavirus, said this week that Americans could be dealing with strict social distancing measures to combat the coronavirus for 18 months and that the U.S. "will not be able to return to normalcy until we find a vaccine or effective medications."

Emanuel, one of the architects of the Affordable Care Act, also known as ObamaCare, is on the Biden campaign's "Public Health Advisory Committee," which is set up to "provide science-based, expert advice regarding steps the campaign should take to minimize health risks for the candidate, staff, and supporters," according to a March press release.
    [...]
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...last-18-months

On the other hand, Dr Fauci says the kids will be back in school in the fall. No wonder ObamaCare sucks.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

So WTF is this?

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/04/...virus-updates/

The sooner we can start coming out of lockdown the better because this is going to start getting really big brothery really fast. Between local governments encouraging informing on their neighbors and flying drones over the public with speakers telling them to disperse and Jared Kushner's national coronavirus database, this is not going in a direction I like.
    Not to mention ankle bracelets for exposed people that refuse to stay home.

It just seems obvious to me that the majority of cases being in NY/NJ is due to residents hot-boxing with the virus in trains for half of their day with notoriously dirty surfaces they were touching. They have the busiest subway system in north america and the three busiest commuter railroads. Weekday ridership:

NYC Subway - 8.7 Million
    Long Island Rail Road - 360,000
    Metro-North Railroad - 315,000
    NJ Transit - 230,000
    PATH - 310,000

These trains are all packed half the day and the virus has to have been running rampant through them in February and March.

It just seems obvious to me that the majority of cases being in NY/NJ is due to residents hot-boxing with the virus in trains for half of their day with notoriously dirty surfaces they were touching. They have the busiest subway system in north america and the three busiest commuter railroads. Weekday ridership:

NYC Subway - 8.7 Million
    NJ Transit - 230,000
    PATH - 310,000

These trains are all packed half the day and the virus has to have been running rampant through them in February and March.
    I guess you can't blame the Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    KEEP IT CLASSY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    KEEP IT CLASSY!!!
    That's funny and appropriate at the same time!

They keep lowering it even though the models have been based on locked down conditions since their worst-case scenarios.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

NYC Subway - 8.7 Million
    NJ Transit - 230,000
    PATH - 310,000

This is the only explanation for California vs. New York. So let's treat everywhere including Utah like New York.

--Jonathan Swift

you are misrepresenting my argument. I'm not saying the same thing that Birx and Fauci are referring to. I'm not aware of these other arguments. I'm making a rhetorical argument. The strength of the argument is evident in the fact that the government and media haven't been transparent about the data. They love anecdotes about younger people in the ICU. These are outliers and almost inevitably they don't die. Now we learn that New York is going to add thousands of deaths because purportedly thousands haven't been counted who died at home after ENT came. Obviously, these were very old, very sick people, who were expected to die soon, or they wouldn't have been overlooked as having been killed by the Covid. In making public policy decisions, in making trade offs, we should be considering context. What are we destroying the economy, increasing domestic abuse, keeping kids out of school, etc. for?

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Go away. We don't need you to repeat the CNN stream. We can get it ourselves.

I'll never forget how you came back with your Internet research that recessions don't cause deaths. Utterly clueless.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Go away. We don't need you to repeat the CNN stream. We can get it ourselves.

I'll never forget how you came back with your Internet research that recessions don't cause deaths. Utterly clueless.
    I asked him to keep it classy and of course his lackey mbn came to his defense.

This can't go on. Certainly the real risk of death from Covid to working people needs to be weighed against this catastrophe. Nobody is doing that.

https://apple.news/AmHdlwY23ThOr9kA0951TrQ

--Jonathan Swift