View Poll Results: At what point did/will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • From the Social Media rumors at the very beginning

2 4.44%
  • When CCP abruptly stopped arresting journalists, and announced 3 hospitals in 1 week

5 11.11%
  • When I tried to buy masks online from Amazon, Home Depot & Lowes, only to find everywhere sold out

1 2.22%
  • When WHO declared a global emergency

6 13.33%
  • When the US closed its borders to non-americans

3 6.67%
  • When the lethality passed SARS

0 0%
  • When they cancel Church in my area

3 6.67%
  • I'm still not going to panic

25 55.56%
Page 73 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 3724

Thread: At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Italy is undercounted. They are only counting those who die in hospitals, not all the people who die at home.
    Yup. And this is likely happening in NYC as well.

Why is Utah's mortality rate so low? Are we just testing more people, identifying more of the cases with less severe symptoms?
    Utah is one of the better states in test per capita (#7 if you include D.C). Almost twice the overall US testing rate and higher than Germany and South Korea. But they also have a much lower mortality rate than any of the states ranked higher in testing. So I don't know that rate of testing can fully explain it. Utah was not hit as hard or as early as the states higher on the test rankings, so we are probably catching a lot more people with less severe symptoms. There may be hundreds of thousands of cases in NYC that weren't tested and won't be because by the time testing ramped up, they were being overwhelmed and could only test more severe cases. Just thinking as I type.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Utah is one of the better states in test per capita (#7 if you include D.C). Almost twice the overall US testing rate and higher than Germany and South Korea. But they also have a much lower mortality rate than any of the states ranked higher in testing. So I don't know that rate of testing can fully explain it. Utah was not hit as hard or as early as the states higher on the test rankings, so we are probably catching a lot more people with less severe symptoms. There may be hundreds of thousands of cases in NYC that weren't tested and won't be because by the time testing ramped up, they were being overwhelmed and could only test more severe cases. Just thinking as I type.
    Utah is one of the youngest states. Younger = lower mortality. That's surely part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Yup. And this is likely happening in NYC as well.
    Cuomo said 180-190 per day is the estimate of those who die at home but never get a positive test. I think everyone agrees the number of deaths is undercounted, but probably not drastically. What is not known with any certainty is how far undercounted the infection numbers are. I'm very eager for them to get the antibody surveys done to find that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Cuomo said 180-190 per day is the estimate of those who die at home but never get a positive test. I think everyone agrees the number of deaths is undercounted, but probably not drastically. What is not known with any certainty is how far undercounted the infection numbers are. I'm very eager for them to get the antibody surveys done to find that out.
    Yes, I'm sure a proportion of the increased people dying at home are from other causes. It's a safe assumption that some of them were staying away from the hospitals.

Why is Utah's mortality rate so low? Are we just testing more people, identifying more of the cases with less severe symptoms?
    Word of Wisdom FTW!

The death rate will definitely go up significantly, lags behind cases by 10 days or more.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Word of Wisdom FTW!

The death rate will definitely go up significantly, lags behind cases by 10 days or more.
    With 12,000 missionaries coming home recently Utah might be a late bloomer.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    Utah is one of the youngest states. Younger = lower mortality. That's surely part of it.
    Yeah, Utah has slightly less fatties as well... but not by much.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Word of Wisdom FTW!

Whatabout all those overweight Mormons!

Word of Wisdom FTW!

Yes. It lags even by months.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Here's a good article debunking some claims of COVID truthers. SU, please look at the 'Claim: Anyone who dies is counted as a coronavirus death!' section.

https://arcdigital.media/debunking-c...m-c290fc660a12
    The Federalist, Rush Limbaugh, Brit Hume, various Fox News personalities. That's an esteemed bunch.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    The Federalist, Rush Limbaugh, Brit Hume, various Fox News personalities. That's an esteemed bunch.
    I don't listen to or read these people. But they're the same as the CNN, WaPo, CNBC you feast on. But instead I'm supposed to read an article by a class action plaintiffs' lawyer?

I just linked some real science. Why don't you read that.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

This is a goalpost move. We were arguing before about what the at-risk population is dying from right now. Where is your evidence that the COVID deaths are vastly overestimated?
    For one thing, the UK's leading epidemiologist said that 2/3 who die were in the last stages of life anyway. Do you think each human life is fungible? If you do, you are out of step with how public policy has been made for eons.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I don't listen to or read these people. But they're the same as the CNN, WaPo, CNBC you feast on. But instead I'm supposed to read an article by a class action plaintiffs' lawyer?

Superb trolling chops.

RESULTS: Individuals with age <65 account for 5%-9% of all COVID-19 deaths in the 8 European epicenters, and approach 30% in three US hotbed locations. People <65 years old had 34- to 73-fold lower risk than those ≥65 years old in the European countries and 13- to 15-fold lower risk in New York City, Louisiana and Michigan. The absolute risk of COVID-19 death ranged from 1.7 per million for people <65 years old in Germany to 79 per million in New York City. The absolute risk of COVID-19 death for people ≥80 years old ranged from approximately 1 in 6,000 in Germany to 1 in 420 in Spain. The COVID-19 death risk in people <65 years old during the period of fatalities from the epidemic was equivalent to the death risk from driving between 9 miles per day (Germany) and 415 miles per day (New York City). People <65 years old and not having any underlying predisposing conditions accounted for only 0.3%, 0.7%, and 1.8% of all COVID-19 deaths in Netherlands, Italy, and New York City. CONCLUSIONS: People <65 years old have very small risks of COVID-19 death even in the hotbeds of the pandemic and deaths for people <65 years without underlying predisposing conditions are remarkably uncommon. Strategies focusing specifically on protecting high-risk elderly individuals should be considered in managing the pandemic.
    Abstract from the paper I just linked. Check out the credentials of the authors. They're not journalists or class action lawyers.

--Jonathan Swift

CNBC? like closing bell, mad money, fast money or what?
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Abstract from the paper I just linked. Check out the credentials of the authors. They're not journalists or class action lawyers.
    Don't waste your time with this crowd... they don't like science. They get all the science they need from Rachel Maddow, Don Lemon, Chris Cuomo, and the likes.

For example, here is an article about Chloroquine:

Chloroquine is a potent inhibitor of SARS coronavirus infection and spread

Background

Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is caused by a newly discovered coronavirus (SARS-CoV). No effective prophylactic or post-exposure therapy is currently available.

Results

We report, however, that chloroquine has strong antiviral effects on SARS-CoV infection of primate cells. These inhibitory effects are observed when the cells are treated with the drug either before or after exposure to the virus, suggesting both prophylactic and therapeutic advantage. In addition to the well-known functions of chloroquine such as elevations of endosomal pH, the drug appears to interfere with terminal glycosylation of the cellular receptor, angiotensin-converting enzyme 2. This may negatively influence the virus-receptor binding and abrogate the infection, with further ramifications by the elevation of vesicular pH, resulting in the inhibition of infection and spread of SARS CoV at clinically admissible concentrations.

Conclusion

Chloroquine is effective in preventing the spread of SARS CoV in cell culture. Favorable inhibition of virus spread was observed when the cells were either treated with chloroquine prior to or after SARS CoV infection. In addition, the indirect immunofluorescence assay described herein represents a simple and rapid method for screening SARS-CoV antiviral compounds.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/

But given that Drumpf said that it might have some potential being used in the fight against Covid-19 they went all ape sh*t crazy against the idea of using. And they blame Drumpf for causing a couple of dumbass democrats to ingest fish tank cleaner. So just let them eat their fish tank cleaner in peace.
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 04-08-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    CNBC? like closing bell, mad money, fast money or what?
    Meant to say MSNBC.

--Jonathan Swift

Meant to say MSNBC.
    ahh gotcha
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Don't waste your time with this crowd... they don't like science. They get all the science they need from Rachel Maddow, Don Lemon, Chris Cuomo, and the likes.

For example, here is an article about Chloroquine:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/

But given that Drumpf said that it might have some potential being used in the fight against Covid-19 they went all ape sh*t crazy against the idea of using. And they blame Drumpf for causing a couple of dumbass democrats to ingest fish tank cleaner. So just let them eat their fish tank cleaner in peace.
    By the way, garlic has been shown to have potent antiviral properties*. We should totally use it against COVID-19.

*in similar cell culture studies. Get back to me when you have good patient data.

CONCLUSIONS: People <65 years old have very small risks of COVID-19 death even in the hotbeds of the pandemic and deaths for people <65 years without underlying predisposing conditions are remarkably uncommon. Strategies focusing specifically on protecting high-risk elderly individuals should be considered in managing the pandemic.
    Okay, we knew that general trend already.

Okay, we knew that already.
    I think he's focusing on the last sentence of the conclusion:

Strategies focusing specifically on protecting high-risk elderly individuals should be considered in managing the pandemic.
    I think.

I think he's focusing on the last sentence of the conclusion:

I think.
    I agree. It's a good idea to protect the most vulnerable during this crisis. Or any crisis for that matter.

I agree. It's a good idea to protect the most vulnerable during this crisis. Or any crisis for that matter.
    Rocket science, I know.

Okay, we knew that general trend already.
    I thought you were a numbers guy. Look at the numbers. According to this paper, if you’re under 65 your chances of dying from Coronavirus are comparable to dying of a car accident on your way to work.

If you don’t think this is the proper way to look at it we can agree to disagree. But that’s not how we’ve ever approached any public policy problem.

--Jonathan Swift

By the way, garlic has been shown to have potent antiviral properties*. We should totally use it against COVID-19.

*in similar cell culture studies. Get back to me when you have good patient data.
    This guy beat you to it.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I thought you were a numbers guy. Look at the numbers. According to this paper, if you’re under 65 your chances of dying from Coronavirus are comparable to dying of a car accident on your way to work.

If you don’t think this is the proper way to look at it we can agree to disagree. But that’s not how we’ve ever approached any public policy problem.
    That comparison is irrelevant (I believe that point has been made numerous times). People injured in car accidents on their way to work are not overwhelming or threatening to overwhelm healthcare systems in a number of locations throughout the United States. So yes, I agree to disagree.

We always knew that the most vulnerable (in terms of death) were the aged or those with some health condition. This is not new.

This actually makes a lot of sense. Garlic has been shown to have antivampiral properties so it should work against the bat virus.

That comparison is irrelevant (I believe that point has been made numerous times). People injured in car accidents on their way to work are not overwhelming or threatening to overwhelm healthcare systems in a number of locations throughout the United States. So yes, I agree to disagree.

We always knew that the most vulnerable (in terms of death) were the aged or those with some health condition. This is not new.
    This was a justified fear that is not being borne out in the US. Cuomo says they haven't lost a single person due to lack of care. Everyone that needed a ventilator has received one. Washington is packing up their emergency field hospital the feds set up for them and sending it to another state without it having seen a single patient. Yes we had to flex and increase to meet the demand but we appear to have done so successfully. Cuomo's pause contributed greatly to bending the curve down below the increased capacity in NYC, no doubt.