View Poll Results: At what point did/will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • From the Social Media rumors at the very beginning

2 4.44%
  • When CCP abruptly stopped arresting journalists, and announced 3 hospitals in 1 week

5 11.11%
  • When I tried to buy masks online from Amazon, Home Depot & Lowes, only to find everywhere sold out

1 2.22%
  • When WHO declared a global emergency

6 13.33%
  • When the US closed its borders to non-americans

3 6.67%
  • When the lethality passed SARS

0 0%
  • When they cancel Church in my area

3 6.67%
  • I'm still not going to panic

25 55.56%
Page 69 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 3724

Thread: At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Good synopsis of how it all went so wrong in the US:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...t-dysfunction/
    I agree with UVAcoug, that's a pretty poor article layered with a lot of speculation and finger pointing in places it doesn't deserve. We can acknowledge the failings of the Trump administration in this but if Trump failed, so have the majority of western democracies. It seems that only a handful of countries are doing better (Germany, Canada, etc.) than the US, so did all these other countries also fail?
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I agree with UVAcoug, that's a pretty poor article layered with a lot of speculation and finger pointing in places it doesn't deserve. We can acknowledge the failings of the Trump administration in this but if Trump failed, so have the majority of western democracies. It seems that only a handful of countries are doing better (Germany, Canada, etc.) than the US, so did all these other countries also fail?
    Yes, they did fail to prepare for testing and to enact stricter social distancing protocols. They all wish they had acted sooner.

A certain number of mistakes should be expected. We have not faced something like this in most of our lifetimes. And it sounds like bureaucratic rules got in the way of quicker action once we got serious about this. But I don't know how this can be classified as anything but a colossal failure to take it seriously and to prepare (despite some semi-crises upon which to warm up). How can that be argued otherwise.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Yes, they did fail to prepare for testing and to enact stricter social distancing protocols. They all wish they had acted sooner.

A certain number of mistakes should be expected. We have not faced something like this in most of our lifetimes. And it sounds like bureaucratic rules got in the way of quicker action once we got serious about this. But I don't know how this can be classified as anything but a colossal failure to take it seriously and to prepare (despite some semi-crises upon which to warm up). How can that be argued otherwise.
    Especially seeing as the federal government didn't actually try to buy any respirators or respirators until mid-March, for late April delivery.

https://apnews.com/090600c299a8cf07f5b44d92534856bc

I would never have guessed that I would walk into a bank lobby like I did yesterday, with a bandana covering my face and gloves over my hands, and have nobody give it a second thought.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
    Especially seeing as the federal government didn't actually try to buy any respirators or respirators until mid-March, for late April delivery.

https://apnews.com/090600c299a8cf07f5b44d92534856bc
    Leave the POTUS and the federal govt. alone. The AP is made up of journalists and they all have an ax to grind with Trump. Our response has been exactly the same as every other Western democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I would never have guessed that I would walk into a bank lobby like I did yesterday, with a bandana covering my face and gloves over my hands, and have nobody give it a second thought.
    This post is useless without pictures!

Yes, very proud.

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Ha! I went in to Home Depot yesterday the same way. Hardly got a second look. I had the same thought.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

This post is useless without pictures!
    Ha! That's the last thing I ever posted on Cougarboard. Got me thrown in the clink. Jefe really is weird.

https://twitter.com/timmctyer/status...15278116999174

Last edited by Clark Addison; 04-05-2020 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    https://twitter.com/timmctyer/status...15278116999174

lol

Yes. You said it best. Add on top of that the expectation of the US having the best and most innovative health care system in the world, and the failures are even more glaring.

I still don’t understand how people can read that article and think it’s a hit piece.

Yes. You said it best. Add on top of that the expectation of the US having the best and most innovative health care system in the world, and the failures are even more glaring.

I still don’t understand how people can read that article and think it’s a hit piece.

Nobody said it was a hit piece. It certainly leans one way and the comparisons it makes are over the top. It’s dead eye focused on the Trump administration when the states and their own preparedness deserve a lot of blame as well. Even Obama seems to have depleted the strategic reserve of PPE and made no attempt to replace what was used during his eight years. There’s a lot of blame to go around.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Nobody said it was a hit piece. It certainly leans one way and the comparisons it makes are over the top. It’s dead eye focused on the Trump administration when the states and their own preparedness deserve a lot of blame as well. Even Obama seems to have depleted the strategic reserve of PPE and made no attempt to replace what was used during his eight years. There’s a lot of blame to go around.
    Well you said this:

I agree with UVAcoug, that's a pretty poor article layered with a lot of speculation and finger pointing in places it doesn't deserve.
    A lot of speculation and undeserved finger pointing is a hit piece in my book.

And while it mentions China, it brushes over its horrendous actions that are probably more worthy of blame than anything else. Why on earth were they refusing to turn over samples of the virus? That’s more worthy of attention than anything, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    And while it mentions China, it brushes over its horrendous actions that are probably more worthy of blame than anything else. Why on earth were they refusing to turn over samples of the virus? That’s more worthy of attention than anything, in my opinion.
    The name of the article was “The U.S. was beset by denial and dysfunction as the coronavirus raged“. I’m sure we can easily find articles that detail the many Chinese failures. But this one focused on the US ones. Like the title said it would.

Default At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Well you said this:

A lot of speculation and undeserved finger pointing is a hit piece in my book.
    I don’t consider it a hit piece. It’s just another example of the slanted, misleading journalism that so many have come accustomed to. Modern journalists have taken their role in writing “stories” too literally, in my opinion. Every news “story” has to have a coherent narrative, even though the piecemeal set of facts that journalists typically have (especially when they are rushing to meet a deadline or to publish a story before they get scooped by their competitors) does not support a coherent “story.” In order to make such a narrative, the gaps in the story need to be filled with assumptions and speculation. And given the political biases of the vast majority of today’s journalists, those assumptions typically only go in one direction. I’ve seen this happen time after time with stories that I have been close to.

I mean, who would read a story that simply said: in hindsight, different decisions might have made us better off?

Based on my personal experience, which is admittedly anecdotal, I think it’s smart to read any article published by today’s media with the assumption that the authors know, at most, 10% of what really happened in any given situation. Look for sourced facts and don’t accept the narrative they are trying to advance without taking it with a huge grain of salt. Draw your own conclusions from the supported facts, don’t let the journalists think for you.
    Last edited by UVACoug; 04-05-2020 at 09:25 PM.

The name of the article was “The U.S. was beset by denial and dysfunction as the coronavirus raged“. I’m sure we can easily find articles that detail the many Chinese failures. But this one focused on the US ones. Like the title said it would.
    I’ve yet to see an article that discusses China’s initial refusal to hand over samples of the virus, have you?

That's fine and appropriate. But my problem with all these lookbacks is there is an alternate reality being presented for December and January. They are all written like the WHO and China were sounding the alarm and the US ignored them and that is false. China and the WHO spent nearly up until the Wuhan lockdown spreading disinformation, lying, and denying that there was a serious issue.

Now we can certainly say Trump's team and the CDC should have heeded the intelligence warnings that this could be a big issue and gotten a head start. That is valid and I agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    That's fine and appropriate. But my problem with all these lookbacks is there is an alternate reality being presented for December and January. They are all written like the WHO and China were sounding the alarm and the US ignored them and that is false. China and the WHO spent nearly up until the Wuhan lockdown spreading disinformation, lying, and denying that there was a serious issue.

Now we can certainly say Trump's team and the CDC should have heeded the intelligence warnings that this could be a big issue and gotten a head start. That is valid and I agree with that.
    Those are good points. But why was Korea so forward-leaning while we (and a lot of the rest of the world) dithered? They got the code from China the same time the rest of the world did and had a test within a week.

This was a bad, very bad, miscalculation. And no doubt, if those in charge looked back, they know exactly what they would do differently. The inevitable question is why didn't they do that.

I’ve yet to see an article that discusses China’s initial refusal to hand over samples of the virus, have you?
    Yes I have:

On Jan. 6, Redfield sent a letter to the Chinese offering to send help, including a team of CDC scientists. China rebuffed the offer for weeks, turning away assistance and depriving U.S. authorities of an early chance to get a sample of the virus, critical for developing diagnostic tests and any potential vaccine.
    It’s from the WaPo article we’re arguing about.

Don’t worry, I’ve seen it printed elsewhere. You can find it if you look.

Yes I have:

It’s from the WaPo article we’re arguing about.

Don’t worry, I’ve seen it printed elsewhere. You can find it if you look.
    I said it was mentioned in the story. Don't you think that deserves more than 2 sentences worth of exploration? I'd love to see those other stories.

Those are good points. But why was Korea so forward-leaning while we (and a lot of the rest of the world) dithered? They got the code from China the same time the rest of the world did and had a test within a week.

This was a bad, very bad, miscalculation. And no doubt, if those in charge looked back, they know exactly what they would do differently. The inevitable question is why didn't they do that.
    I agree with everything you said here. I think South Korea's preparedness and success is related to grappling with SARS previously, no? They understood from experience how bad it could get and had real protocols in place to spring into action if necessary. We gave the possibility of a pandemic lip service but obviously were caught completely flat footed when it came time to act.

There needs to be (and there will be) a 9/11 commission style report finding the root causes of our failures. It will likely uncover a series of failures over several administrations including the current one that doomed an effective quick response. Will it find that we were uniquely bad compare to the rest if the west or that trump being a moron was a critical factor that doomed our response? I don't know but we will certainly see.

We are fortunate that covid19 is the wakeup call and not something much worse. Is it possible someday we could see something as transmissible as Covid19 AND as deadly as SARS?

I said it was mentioned in the story. Don't you think that deserves more than 2 sentences worth of exploration? I'd love to see those other stories.
    It deserves a ton of attention. Hopefully the WHO and everyone else will view their official reporting with suspicion from here on out. But the presence of an article that focuses more on the US failures does not negate China’s importance in the crisis. Just like an article that focuses on China’s inaction and complicity can be forgiven if it doesn’t focus on US problems. I know those articles are out there, just waiting to be found!

So, we're reduced to waiting on the Chinese to give us the info we want before reacting? The disaster was afoot. What did we do in the meantime? Put all of our eggs in the "we'll just cut the Chinese off from the US" basket?

Not a good plan.

So, we're reduced to waiting on the Chinese to give us the info we want before reacting? The disaster was afoot. What did we do in the meantime? Put all of our eggs in the "we'll just cut the Chinese off from the US" basket?

Not a good plan.
    Yeah not great. Especially since they didnt ban travel from china until after the Wuhan lockdown started. Im sure the travel ban helped, but everyone has seen the NYT animation showing the amount of travel that took place from Wuhan from the time of first infection to the lockdown.

It deserves a ton of attention. Hopefully the WHO and everyone else will view their official reporting with suspicion from here on out. But the presence of an article that focuses more on the US failures does not negate China’s importance in the crisis. Just like an article that focuses on China’s inaction and complicity can be forgiven if it doesn’t focus on US problems. I know those articles are out there, just waiting to be found!
    I don't disagree with anything you said. I guess my problem is more that the media is so hell bent on creating a narrative that the American response is to blame for thousands of deaths that they are treating a much more serious threat lightly, or are distracted from what's really important right now--finding a solution. Obviously the American response could have been better. I don't know any serious person that disagrees with that. What is being accomplished by wallowing in that fact right now?

Not a good plan.
    Huh? We needed a sample of the virus to develop a test. The Chinese had one and refused to share it despite our requests. That's what we're talking about.

Huh? We needed a sample of the virus to develop a test. The Chinese had one and refused to share it despite our requests. That's what we're talking about.
    Yes, I know that. My point is that shouldn't have prevented us from doing other things in preparation. And as I've said, Korea got that sample the same day we eventually did (what date was that?) and developed a test within a week and were ready to do massive testing and contact tracing when the pandemic hit. What is our excuse?

If the media is so biased against Trump, why don't we see those articles about what a great job he did to prepare? Aside from cutting off China, what else did he do? Can't FOX even pony up something? Where is the reporting? Not there because those outlets spent their time telling everybody how this was nothing more than the flu, so chill out. It will all disappear, like magic. We'll wake up one morning and it will be gone.