View Poll Results: At what point did/will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • From the Social Media rumors at the very beginning

    2 4.44%
  • When CCP abruptly stopped arresting journalists, and announced 3 hospitals in 1 week

    5 11.11%
  • When I tried to buy masks online from Amazon, Home Depot & Lowes, only to find everywhere sold out

    1 2.22%
  • When WHO declared a global emergency

    6 13.33%
  • When the US closed its borders to non-americans

    3 6.67%
  • When the lethality passed SARS

    0 0%
  • When they cancel Church in my area

    3 6.67%
  • I'm still not going to panic

    25 55.56%
Page 65 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 3724

Thread: At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

  1. #1921

    Default

    https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...orce-closings/

    This is the kind of thing that just doesn't need to happen in most areas. Those stores can be inspected, take precautions to protect their workers and customers, and remain open. A person is much more likely to get or spread the virus in a grocery store than one of these craft stores. Same can be said for sporting goods stores and many other kinds of "non-essential retail". The judge and health officials act like they are saving lives by closing craft stores. Reality? Probably not. They are inflicting incredible damage on these stores, their employees, and their suppliers.

  2. #1922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Silver linings, graduations are stupid.
    they really are
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  3. #1923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Silver linings, graduations are stupid.
    Silver linings, save some money!

  4. #1924
    Adventurer Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West of House
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    In an alternate universe with a different president, health officials in the United States could have had better options, better ways to channel public anxiety, better ways to monitor the public’s well-being, using technology and without suspending the rule of law.
    This is wishful thinking.

    A few thousand American citizens die on 9/11. What followed?

    Never let a good crisis go to waste:

    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

    Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

  5. #1925
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    12,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Never let a good crisis go to waste:

    While they're at it, I hope they can start giving us social credit scores.

  6. #1926
    Board eye candy beefytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    5,150

    Default

    First case of a person I know, my neighbor directly across the street from me.

  7. #1927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    First case of a person I know, my neighbor directly across the street from me.
    whoa...
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  8. #1928
    Board eye candy beefytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    5,150

    Default

    On Facebook, she claims she has only left the house to go grocery shopping in the last 3 weeks.

  9. #1929
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    12,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    First case of a person I know, my neighbor directly across the street from me.
    My wife said a girl in the ward has it. I think a couple of my employees may have had it, but I don't think they ever got tested.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  10. #1930

    Default

    Utah now up to 1250 new positive tests. Still at just 7 deaths, third day in a row without a death after 7 in the previous 8 days. Hospitalizations had been holding steady at about 10% of positive tests, now down to 8.5%.

    I guess the longer we can hold off the inevitable surge, the better.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  11. #1931
    Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    51,369

    Default

    Surprised to hear that Idaho has been hit so hard - especially Sun Valley area.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  12. #1932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Surprised to hear that Idaho has been hit so hard - especially Sun Valley area.
    It’s really interesting how touristy ski towns are being slammed. Blaine county seems to have been hit the worst, but Summitt county is bad as well as Mono county, CA and I think Eagle county, CO (Vail) as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  13. #1933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Surprised to hear that Idaho has been hit so hard - especially Sun Valley area.
    Really? Anywhere new Yorkers go to spend their money is going to see considerable infections. Thankfully, new yorkers havent figured out yet that Utah has the best skiing.

  14. #1934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Surprised to hear that Idaho has been hit so hard - especially Sun Valley area.
    Blame those damn New Yorkers:

    https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/202...-hot-spot.html

  15. #1935
    Senior Member originalsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...orce-closings/

    This is the kind of thing that just doesn't need to happen in most areas. Those stores can be inspected, take precautions to protect their workers and customers, and remain open. A person is much more likely to get or spread the virus in a grocery store than one of these craft stores. Same can be said for sporting goods stores and many other kinds of "non-essential retail". The judge and health officials act like they are saving lives by closing craft stores. Reality? Probably not. They are inflicting incredible damage on these stores, their employees, and their suppliers.
    What in the Sam Hill are your talking about???

    Let's all get one thing strait, this disease can be gotten anywhere. I've mentioned this before in other threads that 25% of all cases are asymptomatic. This means without the number of tests that are needed, but currently don't have, it is impossible to trace where things are coming from. So, they can come from anywhere. This is why we need to shelter in place. Closing these stores is necessary because they provide nothing vital to the survival of humans. I laugh when people say that taking precautions by protecting workers will allow the store to stay open. How can you protect the workers from an asymptomatic individual that inadvertently coughs, sneezes, sweats, etc? You can't. AND you cannot ensure you are protecting anyone!! We can't know who is passing it along, so we cut this off properly.

    No doubt about it, this is a shit sandwich and we all gotta take a bite.

  16. #1936
    Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    51,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Really? Anywhere new Yorkers go to spend their money is going to see considerable infections. Thankfully, new yorkers havent figured out yet that Utah has the best skiing.
    Park city is kind of a hot spot for utah.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  17. #1937
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    22,132

    Default

    The more I look at maps like this, the more baffled I am at how widespread the virus is in the US and Europe. Absolutely incredible that, if this thing barely got here are the beginning of the year that it has spread to almost every county in the US. It's either an indication of just how contagious it is or how much we as humans travel in today's age. Or it's an indication that the virus has been around a bit longer than we know and it's just now ramping up and getting bad. But still, pretty incredible.

    covid.jpg
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  18. #1938
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    10,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Park city is kind of a hot spot for utah.
    Uh yep I rode the ski lifts with a ton of New Yorkers all February.

  19. #1939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by originalsocal View Post
    What in the Sam Hill are your talking about???

    Let's all get one thing strait, this disease can be gotten anywhere. I've mentioned this before in other threads that 25% of all cases are asymptomatic. This means without the number of tests that are needed, but currently don't have, it is impossible to trace where things are coming from. So, they can come from anywhere. This is why we need to shelter in place. Closing these stores is necessary because they provide nothing vital to the survival of humans. I laugh when people say that taking precautions by protecting workers will allow the store to stay open. How can you protect the workers from an asymptomatic individual that inadvertently coughs, sneezes, sweats, etc? You can't. AND you cannot ensure you are protecting anyone!! We can't know who is passing it along, so we cut this off properly.

    No doubt about it, this is a shit sandwich and we all gotta take a bite.
    I respectfully disagree. Stores like the ones listed can safely reopen with precautions. Require customers to cover their mouths. Put a screen between the checker and the customer. This isn't that difficult.

  20. #1940
    Senior Member originalsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Stores like the ones listed can safely reopen with precautions. Require customers to cover their mouths. Put a screen between the checker and the customer. This isn't that difficult.
    That's fine that you disagree, but respectfully you are flat out wrong. Ask any expert in public health, they will say the same thing.

  21. #1941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Uh yep I rode the ski lifts with a ton of New Yorkers all February.
    Just my anecdotal experience. When new yorkers talk to me about going west to ski its Aspen, Vail, Sun Valley, Tahoe. I'm sure plenty go to Park City but I don't think it's in the numbers they hit those other places.

  22. #1942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by originalsocal View Post
    That's fine that you disagree, but respectfully you are flat out wrong. Ask any expert in public health, they will say the same thing.
    No, I'm not. The health experts are going to cause a depression. If keeping stores closed was so important, they'd close walmart. They are closing stuff that doesn't matter and not enforcing standards on the "essentials". There is no reason to close something that isn't a threat.

  23. #1943
    Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    19,638

    Default

    Has anyone linked this?

    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/o...e=articleShare

    It may be the most important article on Covid-19 that I've read--published on Wednesday in the NY Times opinion section.

    Symptoms even death may depend on dosage load. If someone with Covid-19 sits next to you breathing maybe you should kill them in self defense (just kidding). The virus spreads through the air, which makes it so contagious. So while sitting next to someone infected on a subway for an hour may be extremely harmful even fatal depending on your vulnerability, someone infecting you by handing you a cup of coffee with no other interaction may be good because your infection may be asymptomatic and develop an immunity.

    Masks do help. The government and media's statements that they don't help was a big lie. Masks don't need to be disposable medical masks. Use a balaclava.

    Understanding this is super important for reactivating the economy. Anyone on mass transit needs to wear a mask, for example. There are various activities we can do while avoiding the type of close and prolonged interaction that would lead to a high dose of the virus. Spectator sports is out, but a round of golf can be safe and healthy. No work meetings (yay!) but we should be able to go to work if we can make safe space.

    This should have guided public policy from the beginning. Instead, they lied about masks and just shut down everything. Even touching some virus on a counter is as bad as can be, we've been led to believe.

    All governments and the media have been terrible.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 04-03-2020 at 03:09 PM.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

  24. #1944
    Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    19,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Park city is kind of a hot spot for utah.
    Orgies.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

  25. #1945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Symptoms even death may depend on dosage load. If someone with Covid-19 sits next to you breathing maybe you should kill them in self defense (just kidding). The virus spreads through the air, which makes it so contagious. So while sitting next to someone infected on a subway for an hour may be extremely harmful even fatal depending on your vulnerability, someone infecting you by handing you a cup of coffee with no other interaction may be good because your infection may be asymptomatic and develop an immunity.
    Where this is a posted opinion, I don't know how much stock to put in what is being said, but this is what I have intuitively believed.

  26. #1946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Where this is a posted opinion, I don't know how much stock to put in what is being said, but this is what I have intuitively believed.
    The Chinese doctor died who was the whistleblower while China was trying to cover this up back in January/Feb. He was in his 30s and from all indications was healthy. The theory is the constant exposure to the virus killed him.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  27. #1947
    Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    19,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Where this is a posted opinion, I don't know how much stock to put in what is being said, but this is what I have intuitively believed.
    I don't know why it's in the opinion section. It cites all kinds of studies. In the Times there's not much real difference anymore between opinion and news . It depends on what they want to highlight, up front.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

  28. #1948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Where this is a posted opinion, I don't know how much stock to put in what is being said, but this is what I have intuitively believed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    The Chinese doctor died who was the whistleblower while China was trying to cover this up back in January/Feb. He was in his 30s and from all indications was healthy. The theory is the constant exposure to the virus killed him.
    What would that mean from a standpoint of relapse, sufficiency of antibody protection, etc.?
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  29. #1949

    Default

    *sigh* we aren't going to play college football this year, are we?

  30. #1950
    Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Posts
    4,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    *sigh* we aren't going to play college football this year, are we?
    I'm hoping for a conference only schedule. That may happen but odds are against it. And for BYU, that is obviously problematic.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •