View Poll Results: At what point did/will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • From the Social Media rumors at the very beginning

2 4.44%
  • When CCP abruptly stopped arresting journalists, and announced 3 hospitals in 1 week

5 11.11%
  • When I tried to buy masks online from Amazon, Home Depot & Lowes, only to find everywhere sold out

1 2.22%
  • When WHO declared a global emergency

6 13.33%
  • When the US closed its borders to non-americans

3 6.67%
  • When the lethality passed SARS

0 0%
  • When they cancel Church in my area

3 6.67%
  • I'm still not going to panic

25 55.56%
Page 39 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 3724

Thread: At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Social Distance Warrior swampfrog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    The Wall Street Journal posted an article last night also, I can't read it because of the paywall, but I'm guessing it's similar by the title.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rethink...wn-11584659154
    And the New York Times with a similar article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/o...istancing.html

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

I think that's what the second author concluded after he called him to discuss.

The Wall Street Journal posted an article last night also, I can't read it because of the paywall, but I'm guessing it's similar by the title.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rethink...wn-11584659154

I think the critique is "we don't have enough data to act correctly, so maybe hold off" versus "we have enough to know that we can't afford the consequences of the possible worst case scenarios, therefore we must act without clear data".

Maybe critique is the wrong word?

Watching this conversation in real time is interesting. How consensus is being reached through alternative channels is novel. The sense-making toolbox of the past is in disarray and there's nothing like a worldwide potential disaster of unknown proportion to catalyze a replacement.
    Some people are just being pragmatic. The status quo won't last for long while we don't know what the hell is going on.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Good article on various scenarios for the next 18 months. Lots of details. Makes a case that we could turn the corner on this in a few weeks if act quickly.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-be9337092b56
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

And the New York Times with a similar article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/o...istancing.html
    We can be proud that Cougaruteforum was out front sounding the alarm about this.

There was one imbecile who said this won't affect people's livelihoods except hot dog vendors and other menials, however.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    My coworker told me this morning that his friend in San Francisco got a $400 ticket for standing less than 6' from someone else. Friend of a friend, but theyre not making money off parking tickets, or traffic tickets.
    How close did the officer get to him to write the citation? Maybe he needs to cite himself for getting too close.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    For those of you with kids taking AP exams:

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/a...navirus-update

• No face-to-face exams
    • Students will take a 45-minute online exam at home
    • For each AP subject, there will be 2 different testing dates
    • Testing date schedule will be released April 3
    • Use any device you like: computer, tablet, or phone. Taking a photo of handwritten work also acceptable.
    • Resources will be available for students that need mobile tools or connectivity
    Taking an AP test on a phone? That sounds like hell.

This new COVID-19 test seems very promising: 15 minute results, high accuracy, can be easily mass produced (over 200,000 per day) and now FDA approved.

https://www.biospace.com/article/rel...ight-from-fda/
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Lets see if they can get their hands on some reagent ink. Here's hoping!

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    This new COVID-19 test seems very promising: 15 minute results, high accuracy, can be easily mass produced (over 200,000 per day) and now FDA approved.

That is really cool.

I believe if we can get a reprieve in the next few weeks we can ramp up testing capability like this so that we will be in a position to handle things differently in the fall without destroying an economy that will be on life support by then.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post

A word of caution; this is an antibody test. It can be reasonably good about detecting exposure to the virus if the patient has developed an immune response to it. Other tests actually detect the viral DNA. These tests take a few hours to complet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    The missus went to get some dishwasher soap. She says the Smith's in PG had toilet paper just inside the entrance. A single pack of 6 Charmin rolls was $10.50. I really wouldn't know, but is that a little high?
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    6 rolls? Of the good stuff? Nah that's about right.
    FTR, Charmin is overrated, and definitely not worthy of its hefty price. Despite an entire advertising campaign centered on not leaving paper residue, it does. Angel Soft is where it's at. Now you know.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

My Brother-in-law's brother has made it his mission in life to make sure that no one is price gouging - particularly as it relates to TP.

This morning he had a facebook post of a screenshot of some guy selling 5 rolls of TP for $10 online. He did the research to get some good photos of the guy - and a photo of his missionary badge to make sure he knew the name - then went online to start the public shaming and asking people to share. He also forwarded it to the local police.

This is about the 5th post he's had in the last 3 days in which he's quoting Utah law on price gouging and/or attempted to point out possible offenders. It's hilarious.

Ben McAdams says he is the sickest he has been in his entire life just now on CNN. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Ben McAdams says he is the sickest he has been in his entire life just now on CNN. Yikes.
    I would feel sick if I was on CNN too amirite?! FAKE NEWS!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    FTR, Charmin is overrated, and definitely not worthy of its hefty price. Despite an entire advertising campaign centered on not leaving paper residue, it does. Angel Soft is where it's at. Now you know.
    D-Hole is right, Charmin kind of sucks. Cottonelle is even worse. Angel Soft and Costco are both good. I suspect Georgia Pacific is the manufacturer of Costco TP since Costco paper towels are so similar to Brawny.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

We currently have angel soft. I had no idea and don't pay attention to these things so I went and looked. These are lavender scented, which is different. I also didn't notice they had a scent till that was pointed out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Good article on various scenarios for the next 18 months. Lots of details. Makes a case that we could turn the corner on this in a few weeks if act quickly.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-be9337092b56
    That's very good. The plan is to buy the time we need to suppress the mortality rate. Korea did it without draconian measures.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Bring home those missionaries!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Bring home those missionaries!
    I hope they don't. I got nowhere to put him.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    I hope they don't. I got nowhere to put him.
    Where is he? Sounds like all missionaries are going to be sent back to their home countries to finish their missions.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Where is he? Sounds like all missionaries are going to be sent back to their home countries to finish their missions.
    Mexico.

I haven't seen anything. Link?

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Mexico.

I haven't seen anything. Link?
    http://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist....20_PastChanges

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Thanks

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist...issionary-work

In the coming weeks, based upon world conditions, substantial numbers of missionaries will likely need to be returned to their home nations to continue their service. This will be done in a systematic way based on the urgency of travel restrictions, the level of COVID-19 concern, and other considerations. This and more is detailed in a letter from Church leaders on March 20, 2020.

U.S. intelligence reports from January and February warned about a likely pandemic

Intelligence agencies “have been warning on this since January,” said a U.S. official with access to intelligence reporting that was disseminated to members of Congress and their staffs as well as to officials in the Trump administration, and who, along with others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe sensitive information.

“Donald Trump may not have been expecting this, but a lot of other people in the government were — they just couldn't get him to do anything about it,” this official said. “The system was blinking red.”

. . . . . . . .

The warnings from U.S. intelligence agencies increased in volume toward the end of January and into early February, said officials familiar with the reports. By then, a majority of the intelligence reporting included in daily briefing papers and digests from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the CIA were about covid-19, said officials who have read the reports.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    D-Hole is right, Charmin kind of sucks. Cottonelle is even worse. Angel Soft and Costco are both good. I suspect Georgia Pacific is the manufacturer of Costco TP since Costco paper towels are so similar to Brawny.
    A little while back, I tried getting the Kirkland or Scott or whatever brand at Costco. My wife didn't like it and, frankly, neither did I. Back to the Charmin.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I fear Dr. Fauci may have gotten himself axed. Here he is while listening to Trump at today's press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    A little while back, I tried getting the Kirkland or Scott or whatever brand at Costco. My wife didn't like it and, frankly, neither did I. Back to the Charmin.
    Bro, Scott is the cheapest of the cheap. Super thin and abrasive. I would still choose it over Cottonelle, though. That stuff is the absolute worst at leaving residue. Total junk. Angel Soft is where it’s at.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

One doctor’s straight talk about the coronavirus strikes a chord with anxious Americans

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...n-coronavirus/