View Poll Results: At what point did/will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • From the Social Media rumors at the very beginning

    2 5.00%
  • When CCP abruptly stopped arresting journalists, and announced 3 hospitals in 1 week

    3 7.50%
  • When I tried to buy masks online from Amazon, Home Depot & Lowes, only to find everywhere sold out

    1 2.50%
  • When WHO declared a global emergency

    4 10.00%
  • When the US closed its borders to non-americans

    3 7.50%
  • When the lethality passed SARS

    0 0%
  • When they cancel Church in my area

    2 5.00%
  • I'm still not going to panic

    25 62.50%
Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172
Results 2,131 to 2,147 of 2147

Thread: At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

  1. #2131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I would think they'll be able to figure the effective totals by comparing death totals from years past. After a few years, I would think they could even estimate how many years people lost at the end of their lives because of COVID-19.
    Not really. Overall deaths are way down for march in the usa (probably everywhere in the west). Turns out when you never leave your house your chance of dying goes way down.

  2. #2132
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    21,963

    Default

    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  3. #2133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I would think they'll be able to figure the effective totals by comparing death totals from years past. After a few years, I would think they could even estimate how many years people lost at the end of their lives because of COVID-19.
    My point is that this argument of ultimate causes of death in COVID patients is pointless. What difference does it make if some patients are predisposed to COVID morbidity? They contracted the virus, and they died. That is the ultimate cause of death. We are not ‘vastly overestimating’ COVID deaths.

    When an elderly patient breaks a hip, gets hospitalized, and develops pneumonia and dies of it, the cause of death is pneumonia. We are not vastly overestimating the deaths of hospital acquired pneumonia because we fail to recognize the broken hip comorbidity.

  4. #2134
    Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    50,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    ugh
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  5. #2135
    Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    19,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    My point is that this argument of ultimate causes of death in COVID patients is pointless. What difference does it make if some patients are predisposed to COVID morbidity? They contracted the virus, and they died. That is the ultimate cause of death. We are not ‘vastly overestimating’ COVID deaths.

    When an elderly patient breaks a hip, gets hospitalized, and develops pneumonia and dies of it, the cause of death is pneumonia. We are not vastly overestimating the deaths of hospital acquired pneumonia because we fail to recognize the broken hip comorbidity.
    But in that situation the cause of death is rarely if ever identified as pneumonia or broaden him. It’s typically identified as “natural causes.” Here, if the same individual, in the same condition, caught the flu, and then died of pneumonia, it would also typically be “natural causes.” How often do you see that someone in their 80s died of the flu or pneumonia or a broken hip? Rarely if ever. But now if they have Covid-19 and die after the same course of illness, it’s they died of Covid-19. If the reporting were consistent, no problem. But it’s not.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

  6. #2136
    Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    19,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    My point is that this argument of ultimate causes of death in COVID patients is pointless. What difference does it make if some patients are predisposed to COVID morbidity? They contracted the virus, and they died. That is the ultimate cause of death. We are not ‘vastly overestimating’ COVID deaths.

    When an elderly patient breaks a hip, gets hospitalized, and develops pneumonia and dies of it, the cause of death is pneumonia. We are not vastly overestimating the deaths of hospital acquired pneumonia because we fail to recognize the broken hip comorbidity.
    It is complicated and it isn’t pointless. Public policy always used to consider trade-offs, and this ought to be a consideration.

    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...atural-causes/
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

  7. #2137

    Default

    Italy and Spain have flattened.

    italy.JPG

    Spain.JPG

    We are close, likely already past peak infection as well.

    USA.JPG

  8. #2138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    But in that situation the cause of death is rarely if ever identified as pneumonia or broaden him. It’s typically identified as “natural causes.” Here, if the same individual, in the same condition, caught the flu, and then died of pneumonia, it would also typically be “natural causes.” How often do you see that someone in their 80s died of the flu or pneumonia or a broken hip? Rarely if ever. But now if they have Covid-19 and die after the same course of illness, it’s they died of Covid-19. If the reporting were consistent, no problem. But it’s not.
    No. No.

    I can assure you, if a hospitalized patient gets pneumonia and dies from it, the listed cause is 'pneumonia'. It doesn't matter at all if the patient was healthy before getting hospitalized, or even if the patient had comorbidities that worsened the effects of pneumonia.

    When I issue an autopsy report, I list all the diseases the patient has, in descending order of 'acuteness'. These might or might not be proximate causes of death. When I'm confident of the ultimate cause, I list that as cause of death. In our broken hip patient, this would be pneumonia. If I were ever to do an autopsy on an obese diabetic patient with hypertension and history of a heart attack, who contracted COVID and died of respiratory failure, I would list the cause of death as COVID. The comorbidities are essentially footnotes. They undoubtedly made it worse, but they are not the immediate cause of death.

  9. #2139
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    No. No.

    I can assure you, if a hospitalized patient gets pneumonia and dies from it, the listed cause is 'pneumonia'. It doesn't matter at all if the patient was healthy before getting hospitalized, or even if the patient had comorbidities that worsened the effects of pneumonia.

    When I issue an autopsy report, I list all the diseases the patient has, in descending order of 'acuteness'. These might or might not be proximate causes of death. When I'm confident of the ultimate cause, I list that as cause of death. In our broken hip patient, this would be pneumonia. If I were ever to do an autopsy on an obese diabetic patient with hypertension and history of a heart attack, who contracted COVID and died of respiratory failure, I would list the cause of death as COVID. The comorbidities are essentially footnotes. They undoubtedly made it worse, but they are not the immediate cause of death.
    Wait, you do autopsies? I did not know that.

  10. #2140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Wait, you do autopsies? I did not know that.
    I do. Well, they're pretty rare in my practice now. But I had plenty in residency. And I don't do forensics.

  11. #2141
    BYU Delenda Est Mormon Red Death's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    the Planet Lovetron, bringing funkiness to all over the world
    Posts
    7,673

    Default

    https://twitter.com/benshapiro/statu...972571136?s=19

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  12. #2142
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I do. Well, they're pretty rare in my practice now. But I had plenty in residency. And I don't do forensics.
    Cool, I did not know that. There isn't anyone in my county that does them, at least there wasn't a number of years ago, and I don't think that has changed. We have to export then to elsewhere in the rare occasion that one is needed.

  13. #2143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Cool, I did not know that. There isn't anyone in my county that does them, at least there wasn't a number of years ago, and I don't think that has changed. We have to export then to elsewhere in the rare occasion that one is needed.
    Yeah, many rural counties don't have close access to autopsy services. Part of that is due to medical science advancement. In the generation before me, autopsies changed the clinical impression of death in a significant percentage of hospitalized patients. Now with better radiology and laboratory science, an autopsy is only rarely needed to determine the cause of death. Forensics is a different story.

    I hate autopsies. I'm glad I only rarely have to do them.

  14. #2144
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    12,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Yeah, many rural counties don't have close access to autopsy services. Part of that is due to medical science advancement. In the generation before me, autopsies changed the clinical impression of death in a significant percentage of hospitalized patients. Now with better radiology and laboratory science, an autopsy is only rarely needed to determine the cause of death. Forensics is a different story.

    I hate autopsies. I'm glad I only rarely have to do them.
    It's tough to save an autopsy patient, even for some of the best physicians.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  15. #2145

    Default

    I missed this. The journal that published the French study of hydroxychloroquine has issued a 'statement of concern':

    Hydroxychloroquine-COVID-19 study did not meet publishing society’s “expected standard”
    https://retractionwatch.com/2020/04/...cted-standard/

    It would be great if we had capable scientific journalism and a president who trusts experts rather than sycophants. But here we are.

    Again, it may help in a select few of patients. But it's becoming clear that the potential group of those who benefit from it is shrinking rapidly.

  16. #2146
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    21,963

    Default

    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  17. #2147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    https://twitter.com/benshapiro/statu...972571136?s=19

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    David Neeleman read my post and is taking action!

    Also, a Shaprio link? You will be scorned here for that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •