View Poll Results: At what point did/will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • From the Social Media rumors at the very beginning

2 5.00%
  • When CCP abruptly stopped arresting journalists, and announced 3 hospitals in 1 week

3 7.50%
  • When I tried to buy masks online from Amazon, Home Depot & Lowes, only to find everywhere sold out

1 2.50%
  • When WHO declared a global emergency

4 10.00%
  • When the US closed its borders to non-americans

3 7.50%
  • When the lethality passed SARS

0 0%
  • When they cancel Church in my area

2 5.00%
  • I'm still not going to panic

25 62.50%
Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172
Results 2,131 to 2,147 of 2147

Thread: At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I would think they'll be able to figure the effective totals by comparing death totals from years past. After a few years, I would think they could even estimate how many years people lost at the end of their lives because of COVID-19.
    Not really. Overall deaths are way down for march in the usa (probably everywhere in the west). Turns out when you never leave your house your chance of dying goes way down.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I would think they'll be able to figure the effective totals by comparing death totals from years past. After a few years, I would think they could even estimate how many years people lost at the end of their lives because of COVID-19.
    My point is that this argument of ultimate causes of death in COVID patients is pointless. What difference does it make if some patients are predisposed to COVID morbidity? They contracted the virus, and they died. That is the ultimate cause of death. We are not ‘vastly overestimating’ COVID deaths.

When an elderly patient breaks a hip, gets hospitalized, and develops pneumonia and dies of it, the cause of death is pneumonia. We are not vastly overestimating the deaths of hospital acquired pneumonia because we fail to recognize the broken hip comorbidity.

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    ugh
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    My point is that this argument of ultimate causes of death in COVID patients is pointless. What difference does it make if some patients are predisposed to COVID morbidity? They contracted the virus, and they died. That is the ultimate cause of death. We are not ‘vastly overestimating’ COVID deaths.

When an elderly patient breaks a hip, gets hospitalized, and develops pneumonia and dies of it, the cause of death is pneumonia. We are not vastly overestimating the deaths of hospital acquired pneumonia because we fail to recognize the broken hip comorbidity.
    But in that situation the cause of death is rarely if ever identified as pneumonia or broaden him. It’s typically identified as “natural causes.” Here, if the same individual, in the same condition, caught the flu, and then died of pneumonia, it would also typically be “natural causes.” How often do you see that someone in their 80s died of the flu or pneumonia or a broken hip? Rarely if ever. But now if they have Covid-19 and die after the same course of illness, it’s they died of Covid-19. If the reporting were consistent, no problem. But it’s not.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

It is complicated and it isn’t pointless. Public policy always used to consider trade-offs, and this ought to be a consideration.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...atural-causes/
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Italy and Spain have flattened.

italy.JPG

Spain.JPG

We are close, likely already past peak infection as well.

USA.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    But in that situation the cause of death is rarely if ever identified as pneumonia or broaden him. It’s typically identified as “natural causes.” Here, if the same individual, in the same condition, caught the flu, and then died of pneumonia, it would also typically be “natural causes.” How often do you see that someone in their 80s died of the flu or pneumonia or a broken hip? Rarely if ever. But now if they have Covid-19 and die after the same course of illness, it’s they died of Covid-19. If the reporting were consistent, no problem. But it’s not.
    No. No.

I can assure you, if a hospitalized patient gets pneumonia and dies from it, the listed cause is 'pneumonia'. It doesn't matter at all if the patient was healthy before getting hospitalized, or even if the patient had comorbidities that worsened the effects of pneumonia.

When I issue an autopsy report, I list all the diseases the patient has, in descending order of 'acuteness'. These might or might not be proximate causes of death. When I'm confident of the ultimate cause, I list that as cause of death. In our broken hip patient, this would be pneumonia. If I were ever to do an autopsy on an obese diabetic patient with hypertension and history of a heart attack, who contracted COVID and died of respiratory failure, I would list the cause of death as COVID. The comorbidities are essentially footnotes. They undoubtedly made it worse, but they are not the immediate cause of death.

No. No.

I can assure you, if a hospitalized patient gets pneumonia and dies from it, the listed cause is 'pneumonia'. It doesn't matter at all if the patient was healthy before getting hospitalized, or even if the patient had comorbidities that worsened the effects of pneumonia.

When I issue an autopsy report, I list all the diseases the patient has, in descending order of 'acuteness'. These might or might not be proximate causes of death. When I'm confident of the ultimate cause, I list that as cause of death. In our broken hip patient, this would be pneumonia. If I were ever to do an autopsy on an obese diabetic patient with hypertension and history of a heart attack, who contracted COVID and died of respiratory failure, I would list the cause of death as COVID. The comorbidities are essentially footnotes. They undoubtedly made it worse, but they are not the immediate cause of death.
    Wait, you do autopsies? I did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Wait, you do autopsies? I did not know that.
    I do. Well, they're pretty rare in my practice now. But I had plenty in residency. And I don't do forensics.

BYU Delenda Est Mormon Red Death's Avatar
    the Planet Lovetron, bringing funkiness to all over the world

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/statu...972571136?s=19

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I do. Well, they're pretty rare in my practice now. But I had plenty in residency. And I don't do forensics.
    Cool, I did not know that. There isn't anyone in my county that does them, at least there wasn't a number of years ago, and I don't think that has changed. We have to export then to elsewhere in the rare occasion that one is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Cool, I did not know that. There isn't anyone in my county that does them, at least there wasn't a number of years ago, and I don't think that has changed. We have to export then to elsewhere in the rare occasion that one is needed.
    Yeah, many rural counties don't have close access to autopsy services. Part of that is due to medical science advancement. In the generation before me, autopsies changed the clinical impression of death in a significant percentage of hospitalized patients. Now with better radiology and laboratory science, an autopsy is only rarely needed to determine the cause of death. Forensics is a different story.

I hate autopsies. I'm glad I only rarely have to do them.

Yeah, many rural counties don't have close access to autopsy services. Part of that is due to medical science advancement. In the generation before me, autopsies changed the clinical impression of death in a significant percentage of hospitalized patients. Now with better radiology and laboratory science, an autopsy is only rarely needed to determine the cause of death. Forensics is a different story.

I hate autopsies. I'm glad I only rarely have to do them.
    It's tough to save an autopsy patient, even for some of the best physicians.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I missed this. The journal that published the French study of hydroxychloroquine has issued a 'statement of concern':

Hydroxychloroquine-COVID-19 study did not meet publishing society’s “expected standard”
    https://retractionwatch.com/2020/04/...cted-standard/

It would be great if we had capable scientific journalism and a president who trusts experts rather than sycophants. But here we are.

Again, it may help in a select few of patients. But it's becoming clear that the potential group of those who benefit from it is shrinking rapidly.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    https://twitter.com/benshapiro/statu...972571136?s=19

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    David Neeleman read my post and is taking action!

Also, a Shaprio link? You will be scorned here for that.