Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I guessed I missed all of those.
    Because they aren't there. I'm not sure what people are expecting. Fairness is probably a better word than bias, to be technical about it. That article sure seemed fair to me. These folks never seemed to be alarmed by bias when they or others post flimsy Ben Shapiro articles and such.
    Last edited by frank ryan; 04-05-2020, 05:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
      No, it's the inconsistencies and the speculation in the article, and the tendency to fill any gaps in the factual record with assumptions that always tilt one way, which I pointed out above. I agree it is getting tedious.
      Speaking of bias, you sure bitch about the media, the left etc. more than you do about Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        How many tests? Honestly we need to stop referring to them as cases and start calling them what they are- positive tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I don't understand the question and why the need to change the terminology. A case represents someone with the virus who will need treatment or monitoring. Korea reported that it administered 6,201 tests.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
          I don't understand the question and why the need to change the terminology. A case represents someone with the virus who will need treatment or monitoring. Korea reported that it administered 6,201 tests.
          Cases will rise or fall as testing rises or falls. Iow, if you want a low case count, don’t test. I’m not saying SK isn’t testing, but that’s why I asked the question.

Last edited by smokymountainrain; 04-05-2020, 06:16 AM.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

Cases will rise or fall as testing rises or falls. Iow, if you want a low case count, don’t test.

That should answer both questions.

Utah, by comparison (3.3 million people to SK’s 50 million), has administered 28,000 tests. So yeah, they will have more “cases” because they are testing. The cases are out there, the question is whether they are being found through testing.

I see. Yes, we can assume there are more cases out there, particularly in the U.S.

Korea has been at this in earnest for over a month, so it is finding fewer cases, not because it isn't testing aggresively, but because there are fewer cases to find. It's numbers have been declining steadily for at least 10 days now.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
              I see. Yes, we can assume there are more cases out there, particularly in the U.S.

Korea has been at this in earnest for over a month, so it is finding fewer cases, not because it isn't testing aggresively, but because there are fewer cases to find. It's numbers have been declining steadily for at least 10 days now.
              Fair. FYI- I edited my post because I realized that after looking at their numbers.

I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

Fair. FYI- I edited my post because I realized that after looking at their numbers.

No issues.

For the longest time Korea was #2 in cases while it attacked its problem. Lots of social distancing (50%-75% reduction in public transportation usage, teleworking, schools out, etc.), but no forced shut downs. Now that it appears to have a handle on it, it is strange to watch other countries pass it on their ways up the list. Israel, with a population of 9 million, will pass it soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                  Speaking of bias, you sure bitch about the media, the left etc. more than you do about Trump.
                  There’s plenty of bitching about Trump here.

Comment

Because they aren't there. I'm not sure what people are expecting. Fairness is probably a better word than bias, to be technical about it. That article sure seemed fair to me. These folks never seemed to be alarmed by bias when they or others post flimsy Ben Shapiro articles and such.
                    I don’t listen to Shapiro or other right wing media (except National Review occasionally, they have some “fair” material sometimes).

Comment

Do you keep a spreadsheet Frank?

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                        Do you keep a spreadsheet Frank?

Don't need one, but thanks for coming to the rescue.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                          I don’t listen to Shapiro or other right wing media (except National Review occasionally, they have some “fair” material sometimes).
                          There is nothing wrong with opinion properly designated as such, whether the National Review or the Nation. Everything should be considered. old_gregg is correct about that. Sometimes for pure entertainment value opinion is worthwhile. Occasionally there's a new and valuable insight. Some of the best writing is opinion.

The problem is when the line between opinion and news disappears and opinion appears in the news parts masquerading as news. That happens a lot now.
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• https://twitter.com/EasterbrookG/sta...357542913?s=19

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
                            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• Pretty great speech from the Queen:

https://twitter.com/royalfamily/stat...334539777?s=21

Comment

• Finally! A clear explanation of how this all started and what needs to be done to avoid it spreading further. Once again Clack proves his prophetic insight, years in advance.

https://thebiznews.org/2020/03/24/ro...ady-chemicals/

Comment

Working...
                                X