Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.biospace.com/article/mee...nos-research-/
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      I saw this article and was shaking my head... https://www.brproud.com/health/coron...d-19-outbreak/ No wonder LA has the fastest growing COVID-19 infection rate.
      That plate isn't going to pass itself, Uncle Ted.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Serious question about the missionary pick up and that picture. I haven't left my city in over a week, but I could see myself in that picture. If you're standing in a space where you're at least 6-10 feet away from others, like it appears how people are in that picture, and if you're standing in small groups of immediate family--people you've already been quarantined with, is what they're doing really that unsafe?

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          Serious question about the missionary pick up and that picture. I haven't left my city in over a week, but I could see myself in that picture. If you're standing in a space where you're at least 6-10 feet away from others, like it appears how people are in that picture, and if you're standing in small groups of immediate family--people you've already been quarantined with, is what they're doing really that unsafe?
          IDK... ask your governor.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
            Not that it makes much difference with our population density, but Wyoming is locked down. All non-essential businesses are closed, especially bars and restaurants. My transplant-surgeon BIL expects 80% of the population to be exposed, and thinks our best hope is that flattening the curve will give us time to develop better treatments and eventually a vaccine. He is particularly concerned because all of his patients are high-risk, which has required him to become particularly knowledgeable. It was fascinating and a little scary talking with him.
            I know at least one of his patients is taking the coronavirus risk pretty seriously.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• This view from another Stanford biophysicist and Nobel Prize winner is encouraging.

While many epidemiologists are warning of months, or even years, of massive social disruption and millions of deaths, Levitt says the data simply don’t support such a dire scenario — especially in areas where reasonable social distancing measures are in place.

“What we need is to control the panic,” he said. In the grand scheme, “we’re going to be fine.”

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                This view from another Stanford biophysicist and Nobel Prize winner is encouraging.
                Why does it seem that only the Stanford people have the voice of reason in this crazy time? I am going to encourage my young son to apply there if we survive.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  Why does it seem that only the Stanford people have the voice of reason in this crazy time?
                  Pac 12.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-power/608560/
                    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

• I'm glad his voice is out there. I'm also glad we happen to have an open enough society that his voice will be countered by other voices using mostly science, data, and dialog rather than censorship. It's an impossible scenario to foresee, so having as many free educated responsible thinkers offering opinions is invaluable. Occasionally the one voice raised in opposition to the mainstream is the right one. Group-think is a problem in many areas. Dissenting voices are needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                        I'm glad his voice is out there. I'm also glad we happen to have an open enough society that his voice will be countered by other voices using mostly science, data, and dialog rather than censorship. It's an impossible scenario to foresee, so having as many free educated responsible thinkers offering opinions is invaluable. Occasionally the one voice raised in opposition to the mainstream is the right one. Group-think is a problem in many areas. Dissenting voices are needed.
                        Totally agree. I'm glad too that here on CS there are differing points of view. Even if SU is wrong, I like a more balanced discussion. j/k

Comment

• In an alternate universe with a different president, health officials in the United States could have had better options, better ways to channel public anxiety, better ways to monitor the public’s well-being, using technology and without suspending the rule of law.
                          This is wishful thinking.

A few thousand American citizens die on 9/11. What followed?

But Trump.
                          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Want a deeper dive into that French study about chloroquine/azithromycin and COVID-19? Or perhaps you were wondering why there are no error bars in the graph that made such a splash?

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/are...-for-covid-19/
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                              I'm glad his voice is out there. I'm also glad we happen to have an open enough society that his voice will be countered by other voices using mostly science, data, and dialog rather than censorship. It's an impossible scenario to foresee, so having as many free educated responsible thinkers offering opinions is invaluable. Occasionally the one voice raised in opposition to the mainstream is the right one. Group-think is a problem in many areas. Dissenting voices are needed.
                              Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                              Totally agree. I'm glad too that here on CS there are differing points of view. Even if SU is wrong, I like a more balanced discussion. j/k
                              Our on-line platforms have been built to social-media shame any that disagree with our media-manufactured groupthink. Was there a balanced discussion in the media wrt Bush/Iraq? Hell, no. We are dashing headlong into economic devastation because a few thousand folks are going to die from this Chinese bat virus. SU is a prophet.
                              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                                So the Democrats blocked the stimulus package in the Senate Sunday night. I haven't read in detail, but seems like the major sticking points are sunset provisions for the mandatory paid leave, and more transparency on where which corporations receive the bailout loans. If I have that correct, seems like a no-brainer to me. Give the transparency (which always should have been a part of the bill) in exchange for sunsets on the paid leave and unemployment benefits. This is not a time to be making gigantic, permanent expansions to entitlement spending or placing permanent mandates on businesses.
                                Aaaaaand here come the student debt cancellation proposals. Because that is certainly critical to keep the economy from going over a cliff right now. That's about as important, and maybe less so, than bailing out the cruise lines. Our politicians are the worst.

Comment

Working...
                                X