View Poll Results: At what point did/will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • From the Social Media rumors at the very beginning

2 4.44%
  • When CCP abruptly stopped arresting journalists, and announced 3 hospitals in 1 week

5 11.11%
  • When I tried to buy masks online from Amazon, Home Depot & Lowes, only to find everywhere sold out

1 2.22%
  • When WHO declared a global emergency

6 13.33%
  • When the US closed its borders to non-americans

3 6.67%
  • When the lethality passed SARS

0 0%
  • When they cancel Church in my area

3 6.67%
  • I'm still not going to panic

25 55.56%
Page 11 of 125 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Totalitarian states are terrible for personal freedom, but they can be very effective at public health.
    Unless you're part of the public that the state decides would be a good source of organs, in which case your health will suffer.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    Unless you're part of the public that the state decides would be a good source of organs, in which case your health will suffer.
    They're also apparently when regulating food safety standards.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    I believe all TVs sold over the past 4-5 years have the ability to view movies/videos off of a thumbdrive.
    I got a new flat screen LG TV a little less than two years ago. From a thumb drive, it can't play a video, although it can show some photos and play some music. I had an older one that died a while back that was similar and could play videos. I have another LG flat screen that I've had for six or eight months - a smart TV - that can play videos and I checked that it can do MKV, MP4, and AVI files. Although it doesn't like about 20% of the AVI files that I want it to play. Files that all play just fine on my computer.

So not all recent TVs can play videos and some others can't play all videos.

Dang, hope you're not in Europe right now.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Dang, hope you're not in Europe right now.
    Who, me?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Who, me?
    Any of you that might want to get back to the U.S. in the next 30 days.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Yikes!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

fake account broseph
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Aaand Rudy Gobert has tested positive for coronavirus and the NBA has suspended the season.

I guess it's time to take it seriously

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    fake account broseph
    Really? If so, in very bad taste.

Freaking coronavirus is going to cancel march madness. No doubt about that now.

Oh, okay, the Europe ban only applies to foreign nationals. Americans can return, but I bet they will be quarantined for 14 days.

Really? If so, in very bad taste.

reported on espn. holy smokes.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Damn. This thing is exploding in real time tonight.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I'm starting to take the coronavirus epidemic seriously.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    I'm starting to take the coronavirus epidemic seriously.
    Yeah, can I change my vote? Katy is laughing at all of us through her mask.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

May be time for a thread title change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Damn. This thing is exploding in real time tonight.
    Yep. I wonder if the kids' school is going to cut canceled next.

Social distancing is pretty evident in nyc. Midtown is a ghost town (relative to normal times). I've never seen subway trains so empty before midnight, and people are generally staying away from each other on platforms and in public spaces. It is so odd.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

This is silly. Crazy overreaction.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

I'm not worried about catching the virus for myself. I just don't want to pass it on to my parents or other vulnerable people. I'll participate in the mitigation measures to be socially responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Did you not hear about Tom and Rita??

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I would be interested in the case for letting this work it's way through our population given what we know about it.

Or alternatively, what we should do and what we shouldn't do. Is the whole thing an overreaction? Or just parts of it? Which parts are valid and which parts are not?

It seems the whole freaking world is on the side of stopping this thing and almost any cost. That case continues to be made. Who is making the other case and what are they saying?

Other than Trump.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Don't worry AOC, people are going to stop patroning all restaurants for the foreseeable future.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Here's an interesting piece on the importance of social distancing. The intro:

When you’re done reading the article, this is what you’ll take away:
    The coronavirus is coming to you.
    It’s coming at an exponential speed: gradually, and then suddenly.
    It’s a matter of days. Maybe a week or two.
    When it does, your healthcare system will be overwhelmed.
    Your fellow citizens will be treated in the hallways.
    Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
    They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies.
    The only way to prevent this is social distancing today. Not tomorrow. Today.
    That means keeping as many people home as possible, starting now.
    Notwithstanding the alarmist intro, it does provide a lot of interesting data and projections about flattening the curve.

The Life Care Center is 1 mile away from another high school in district, 10 miles away from here... or ground zero. Shut down the district today, giving in to the crazy parents. I get 2+ weeks off (paid), but I'm pissed that unhinged irrational actors like mbn are controlling the narrative.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst