Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Actually, China and the US vastly differ in their flu counting. If someone presents with flu and an underlying condition, say pneumonia, and then dies, China always counts the death due to the underlying condition. US does the opposite- it counts the flu as the manner of death. This is why the US had 57,000 flu deaths last year and China had 57.
    More evidence that China's numbers are under-reported, which strengthens my point.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      I don't want people to get more nervous than necessary, but I'm getting annoyed with people who are under-hyping the corona virus by comparing the death totals to flu death totals. I've heard lots of people say something like "10,000 people die every year from the flu, only 1,000 people have died from Corona so far."

The total number is not what's important, its the percentage of deaths among those infected that should be compared. This is from the CDC on this year's flu so far:

That's a death rate of 0.05%. If the 48,000 cases to 1300 deaths is accurate, that's a 2.7% death rate for Corona.

You are 54 times more likely to die from Corona if you are infected than you are from getting the flu.
      I was reading about how the numbers weren't necessarily accounting for those who have been infected but were never diagnosed. I take that to mean their symptoms weren't as severe as others.

Of course the larger the sample size and the longer this goes the closer to the real numbers they should get.

Comment

The virus problems are causing major supply chain disruptions. This started during Chinese New Year factory holiday so the government is requiring all factories to stay closed until they can pass very strict sanitation requirements. Factories that should have opened back up two weeks ago are still closed with no firm dates for reopening. You will start seeing empty shelves in retailers and stock-outs on Amazon due to the virus, probably starting late-March.

Comment

Yikers. I wonder if this is still some fallout from expanding the counts to include infections diagnosed by doctors and not rely solely on unreliable testing. This is just Hubei Province. The rest of China is still basing its numbers on the testing. If they expand to doctor diagnoses, we could see another big increase of upwards of 5,000 more cases. It looked like things were leveling off in China, but these increases make it difficult to get a reliable assessment of trends.

But no worries, Trumps says Xi is doing a great job on this coronavirus.

More than 4,800 new cases confirmed in Hubei province
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

First Utahan diagnosed with coronavirus announced today. He is from the cruise ship moored in Yokohama.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              First Utahan diagnosed with coronavirus announced today. He is from the cruise ship moored in Yokohama.
              Stick him back on the quarantine ship or keep him there.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                Stick him back on the quarantine ship or keep him there.
                He's in a hospital in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                  He's in a hospital in Japan.
                  even better. That would suck, but be preferable to being in a Chinese hospital.

Comment

Yikers.

South Korea reports 15 more cases of novel coronavirus, total at 46

According to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), 13 new patients reside in Daegu, 300 kilometers southeast of Seoul and adjacent areas. They are presumed to have contracted the illness via contact with a 68-year-old South Korean woman who was diagnosed with the COVID-19 virus infection Tuesday.

The woman, probably a coronavirus "super spreader," also lives in the city.
                    That is 46 total cases, up from 31 yesterday.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                      Yikers.

South Korea reports 15 more cases of novel coronavirus, total at 46

That is 46 total cases, up from 31 yesterday.
                      I'd take coronavirus over fan death.
                      Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        I'd take coronavirus over fan death.
                        In Japan we were told that sleeping with a fan on us was "dangerous," but nothing about it being deadly.

It was the only way to survive the summer without AC. No doubt now missionaries get AC; bunch of mamby-pambies.

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                          In Japan we were told that sleeping with a fan on us was "dangerous," but nothing about it being deadly.

It was the only way to survive the summer without AC. No doubt now missionaries get AC; bunch of mamby-pambies.
                          I've always heard of fan death being more of a Korean thing than Japanese.
                          Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            I've always heard of fan death being more of a Korean thing than Japanese.
                            I have never heard of it before. Just googled it. Crazy.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

There's an office full of doTERRA reps a couple buildings down from me in my office park. One of them has a bumper sticker that says "I Have An Oil For That!" That put my mind at ease today regarding the coming global pandemic.
                              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

My husband swept up all of my respirators and masks and filters and put them in storage in the garage. I was looking for some craft supplies when I found the box, marked "Zombie Apocalypse"

Comment

Working...
                                X