Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like this virus is breaking containment. Might be time to start taking it seriously here in the US. I still think there will be less deaths in the US from COVID-19 this year than the flu, but there will probably be some seriously costly measures to make it so.

I'm guessing this has a good chance of derailing the economy and causing a recession. We may already be past that point with things shut down in China. I do think this affects possible election outcomes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
      Looks like this virus is breaking containment. Might be time to start taking it seriously here in the US. I still think there will be less deaths in the US from COVID-19 this year than the flu, but there will probably be some seriously costly measures to make it so.

I'm guessing this has a good chance of derailing the economy and causing a recession. We may already be past that point with things shut down in China. I do think this affects possible election outcomes as well.
      I was hoping the economic consequences would cause Trump to provide some tariff relief. But yesterday Ludlow said there was no evidence that it was having an economic impact. Idiot.

Comment

Over 600 cases now in Korea. Four days ago it was 31.

The situation in Iran looks concerning. Seven deaths and only 28 cases reported. That 28 numer is way low. Iran has got to have over 1,000 cases. They just don't know it. Which is scary.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
          Over 600 cases now in Korea. Four days ago it was 31.

The situation in Iran looks concerning. Seven deaths and only 28 cases reported. That 28 numer is way low. Iran has got to have over 1,000 cases. They just don't know it. Which is scary.
          It's infecting people in the Chinese prison system. Thats less than ideal.

Comment

Church Update:

Missionaries in Hong Kong in self quarantine for 14 days
            Missionaries in Cambodia, Thailand, and Singapore restricted movement.
            Missionaries in Mongolia in less restricted movement.
            Missionaries in South Korea in quarantine for unspecified time.
            Taiwan and Seoul Temples closed. Hong Kong temple already closed for refurb.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              My husband keeps telling me to stop with the panic, but I am in full blown fear. What is your position?
              There was a kid coughing in the row in front of me so I declined the Sac out of concern. Didn't see that option on your poll.
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Crazy.

South Korea orders temporary shutdown of messianic church linked to more than half the country’s coronavirus cases

Authorities have identified a pair of Sunday services she attended with 1,000 others this month as a hotbed for the coronavirus. The number of cases traced to the Daegu church have snowballed to 329 in a week, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The director of the centers said Shincheonji services that gather worshipers in crowded spaces possibly aggravated transmissions there.

Shin Hyun-wook, a former Shincheonji member who now campaigns against religious cults, said church members are supposed to kneel on the floor in tight rows at temple halls. Worshipers are not allowed to wear masks during services, Shin said.

Local authorities said they had reached out to Shincheonji members in Daegu for inspection, but 670 were unresponsive as of Sunday. Police have mobilized some 600 officers to track down members.

Shin said hundreds of Shincheonji members are likely in hiding: “For them, the fear of being outed as a Shincheonji follower is bigger than the fear of getting ill from the virus.” Because of the “cult stigma” attached to the church, Shin said, some members hide their affiliation even from their family.

Kim, the Shincheonji spokesman, said a membership list the Daegu church submitted to health authorities was leaked and exposed members to personal attacks. Kim said those who were outed by the list have faced discrimination, insults and firing from their jobs.

An online petition to President Moon’s office asking for the “forceful dissolution of Shincheonji,” has drawn nearly 380,000 supporters.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Church Update:

Missionaries in Cambodia, Thailand, and Singapore restricted movement.
                  Missionaries in Mongolia in less restricted movement.
                  Missionaries in South Korea in quarantine for unspecified time.
                  Taiwan and Seoul Temples closed. Hong Kong temple already closed for refurb.
                  The Hong Kong missionaries have been removed from Hong Kong (at least the ones who aren't from there).

Comment

Church Update:

We just got one back from Hong Kong in our ward. His 14 days was up. On Tuesday he's headed off to Seattle to finish off his mission.

Comment

It shouldn't shock anyone that the mortality rate of the virus is elevated with older people and those with chronic lung conditions, including smokers. There's a crap ton of men in China who smoke. The virus attacks the lungs and intestines. Supposedly young people, particularly children, aren't dying from this.

There was a Forbes article I read today that says scientists think there's a fecal-oral tranmission with the sickness and the nature of toilets in China -- many, many being communal toilets, is aiding the transmission. Also consider the fact that this thing also attacks the intestines. It's also why there's been a problem on cruise ships. It sounds like latex gloves are equally, if not more important in stopping the spread than the masks.

While kids aren't dying from this, they sure as hell are probably spreading this into homes because kids don't wash their hands. I would rather shake hands with a guy who services port-o-potties all day then touch my 7 year old's hands. I have been hounding that kid with near threats of violence to start washing his hands once in a while.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

So it begins...

Dow drops more than 900 points as coronavirus cases outside of China surge

The great coronavirus sell off.

Can we stay home from church now?
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Maybe I'm discounting the threat of this virus, but how is this different from the Swine Flu from 2009? You can't really trust the numbers out of China regarding the transmission or mortality rates both because they lie all the time, and because it's approximate to a third world country with respect to sanitation and treatment in many parts of the country.

For the people that have contracted the illness in South Korea and on that cruise ship by Japan, has the illness been killing people at a rate higher than the flu?
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

There have been 700 people on that cruise ship who contracted the virus and three people are dead -- all in their 80s. And who knows of they already had some kind of preexisting lung issue.

What's interesting to me is only 1/5 of the ship got it. Perhaps it's not as transmittable as we fear. It seems under cruise ship conditions, almost everyone should have gotten it, or perhaps they caught it in time.

They talked about a woman in South Korea who was a "super spreader" amongst people in her church. Given the fecal-oral transmission thing I read, I don't want to know the gruesome details.

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                              There have been 700 people on that cruise ship who contracted the virus and three people are dead -- all in their 80s. And who knows of they already had some kind of preexisting lung issue.

What's interesting to me is only 1/5 of the ship got it. Perhaps it's not as transmittable as we fear. It seems under cruise ship conditions, almost everyone should have gotten it, or perhaps they caught it in time.

They talked about a woman in South Korea who was a "super spreader" amongst people in her church. Given the fecal-oral transmission thing I read, I don't want to know the gruesome details.
                              You know, when you smell something, it means tiny particles of what you was smelling are being breathed in and sensed by your olefactory system. So maybe the virus is being passed by flatulence? Should people be wearing the masks on their butts instead of their faces?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                                You know, when you smell something, it means tiny particles of what you was smelling are being breathed in and sensed by your olefactory system. So maybe the virus is being passed by flatulence? Should people be wearing the masks on their butts instead of their faces?
                                I need to get into the butt mask business, pronto.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X