The 2020 Deaths Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2020 Deaths Thread

Neil Peart--dead at 67 after a 3 1/2 year battle with brain cancer. He was one of the greatest musical talents of our generation. Rest in peace.

Peart1.jpg

Peart4.jpg

I hadn't heard this but, Brian Gray - former BYU Cornerback passed away at 44

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...tes-go-fund-me

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
      I hadn't heard this but, Brian Gray - former BYU Cornerback passed away at 44

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...tes-go-fund-me

Just when I was starting to watch more football again, we lose one of my favorite players while I was a student at BYU, is a few days older than me, and who seems to have been taken from us for football related issues.

Ugg.

RIP Brian Gray.

Comment

Terry Jones of Monty Python is dead.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainme...e=news_central
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I am full of good news today.

Mr. Peanut, of planters fame, has died.

https://twitter.com/MrPeanut/status/...131150336?s=20

Or has he?
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post

Or has he?
            What the hell.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Or has he?
              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Terry Jones of Monty Python is dead.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainme...e=news_central
                “I’m not dead yet!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

It’s a sad day as Clayton Christensen passed away this afternoon. He had struggled with a variety of health issues the past few years but remained active in both academia (he was a highly respected prof at the Harvard Business School) and the Church. He was one of a few Presidential Scholars I befriended my freshman year (the late Bruce Porter was another—the class has had some bad luck) and I admired Clayton as much as any of them (I was not such a Scholar, btw). You’ll no doubt be seeing his obit in various publications in the days ahead—I encourage you to read one if you don’t know of Clayton.

He was a truly outstanding person who made groundbreaking contributions (“Disruptive Innovation”) to the world of business academics (Intel Founder Andy Grove was a big fan, and he and Clayton appeared on the cover of Forbes together) as well as to the Church (I assume most of the active CS’ers have been given Clayton’s book on missionary work). This is a big loss for both communities. He was also incredibly kind and generous—he certainly was to me.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    It’s a sad day as Clayton Christensen passed away this afternoon. He had struggled with a variety of health issues the past few years but remained active in both academia (he was a highly respected prof at the Harvard Business School) and the Church. He was one of a few Presidential Scholars I befriended my freshman year (the late Bruce Porter was another—the class has had some bad luck) and I admired Clayton as much as any of them (I was not such a Scholar, btw). You’ll no doubt be seeing his obit in various publications in the days ahead—I encourage you to read one if you don’t know of Clayton.

He was a truly outstanding person who made groundbreaking contributions (“Disruptive Innovation”) to the world of business academics (Intel Founder Andy Grove was a big fan, and he and Clayton appeared on the cover of Forbes together) as well as to the Church (I assume most of the active CS’ers have been given Clayton’s book on missionary work). This is a big loss for both communities. He was also incredibly kind and generous—he certainly was to me.
                    Sad day indeed... I read his book The Innovator's Dilemma some time back. It is a great read and maybe the best I have read on the subject. I think I have his book on missionary work kicking around somewhere but I don't think I ever read it. Maybe I should.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

That's too bad. Incredible guy. I really enjoyed his "How Will You Measure Your Life?" book.

Didn't know you knew Bruce Porter. They used to live across the street from us. His boys would come to play basketball all the time.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        That's too bad. Incredible guy. I really enjoyed his "How Will You Measure Your Life?" book.

Didn't know you knew Bruce Porter. They used to live across the street from us. His boys would come to play basketball all the time.
                        I didn't know Bruce really well, but we had several very close mutual friends. I was thirteen the first time I met Bruce. It was at the annual Philmont Ranch Scout Retreat for stake presidents/counselors and their families. The scout-age boys (there were around 100 of us) were sent out on a backpack trip for the week. The first thing we did was divide into patrols, and the most advanced was chosen as Senior Patrol Leader, which happened to be Bruce, who was also only 13 but was unusually tall for his age (and also unusually white). In leading our meetings, he seemed like a General Authority even then, and I marveled, "'Who is this big old white guy?" I shared that memory with our mutual friends a few years later at BYU and from then on when mentioning Bruce they'd add, "You know, that big old white guy..." A very good man, though, even at 13,

Comment

Jim Lehrer died: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...ing-jim-lehrer
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

No doubt Christensen was a celebrated intellectual mormon who'll be missed. Do we have anyone to fill his shoes? Who next do we throw our adoration on? Any young guys making a splash out there?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                              No doubt Christensen was a celebrated intellectual mormon who'll be missed. Do we have anyone to fill his shoes? Who next do we throw our adoration on? Any young guys making a splash out there?
                              Okay, I’ll do it.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                              X