Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
    What one and when?
    Same bat time, same bat channel. Want to stay home for one more, then we start making family vacations out of it.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Congrats Niku. What an amazing feat - I got a little teary reading your writeup myself.

I wasn't anywhere I could follow, but you were on my thoughts throughout the day. I was looking forward to reading about your experience - and it didn't disappoint.

There is a small part of me that wants to give this a shot - knowing it will require a ton of preparation. And there's another part of me that feels like maybe a half would cure me of that desire. (Truthfully, I'm afraid that would just wet the appetite).

Comment

• Amazing. I don't know that I've read anything on this board with such interest as I did that story. Nikuman, my admiration for you right now is through the roof. Simply unbelievable. I'm in awe. Thanks for sharing and for being as detailed as you were. And thanks for finishing. Truly inspiring. Wow.
        Last edited by smokymountainrain; 05-20-2013, 04:29 PM.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

• Thanks all, but I want to make something known. I think anybody can do something like this, absent a heart condition or something like that. There were old people, young people, fat people, thin people, slow people, fast people, amputees, people with degenerative diseases, people doing their first, people doing their 35th, and more. It was impossible not to be inspired by all these people, and my story was just one of many. All it takes is some determination and persistence. Not everybody does these things, nor does everybody need to, but I think that most people could if they wanted. Other people find other things that are amazing and require determination and patience, and that's awesome too.

Comment

• Shortly before you finished, there was a woman who finished with her arm in a sling. The announcer told the crowd she had broken her collarbone during the cycling portion.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
            "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
              Who had 36 hours until I signed up for another? Anybody's guesses under that?
              You're an idiot, but you're our idiot
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Thanks all, but I want to make something known. I think anybody can do something like this, absent a heart condition or something like that. There were old people, young people, fat people, thin people, slow people, fast people, amputees, people with degenerative diseases, people doing their first, people doing their 35th, and more. It was impossible not to be inspired by all these people, and my story was just one of many. All it takes is some determination and persistence. Not everybody does these things, nor does everybody need to, but I think that most people could if they wanted. Other people find other things that are amazing and require determination and patience, and that's awesome too.
                I am convinced I will never do one. I like to work out and stay in shape but I just don't fundamentally get why you are so driven. I am wee bit envious, but not enough to do anything about it. However, I think I enjoyed reading your posts about the race as much as anything I have read here ever. That was really fun and thanks for sharing. As I said I don't pretend to understand you ultramotivated types, but your stories are always the most entertaining.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Lol. Just got done with a ridiculous sprint tri. Halfway through the bike we got hit with a torrential downpour, hailstorm, 40mph headwinds. I had to drop into my small chainring for crying out loud. Absolutely absurd conditions. Had a real blast as a result.

Comment

Lol. Just got done with a ridiculous sprint tri. Halfway through the bike we got hit with a torrential downpour, hailstorm, 40mph headwinds. I had to drop into my small chainring for crying out loud. Absolutely absurd conditions. Had a real blast as a result.
                    Sounds like a good time. Obviously not as enjoyable if the race was much longer, but for a sprint it could be fun.

So - are you to the point where you kind of put together your own training schedule/regimen? Or is there somewhere you go to get them? I tend to piece things together based on what I've done in the past, but I'm curious how religious others are at following a proscribed plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                      Sounds like a good time. Obviously not as enjoyable if the race was much longer, but for a sprint it could be fun.

So - are you to the point where you kind of put together your own training schedule/regimen? Or is there somewhere you go to get them? I tend to piece things together based on what I've done in the past, but I'm curious how religious others are at following a proscribed plan.
                      For running, yes. For tris, not as much. I've put together a plan for this summer but it's not great. I'm actually planning on enlisting the help of a coach next spring for IM training.

Comment

• Dang it! I'm apparently doing a sprint tri at the end of August. I knew at some point I'd have to do one of these things but I was hoping it would come later rather than sooner. A buddy of mine that recently took up running/swimming just did one and now he's pushing me to do one with him since his training buddy is moving away this month. Looks like I'm the new training buddy, which is great but I can't say no to the invite to do one of these things.

I'm mostly worried about the swim. I've never swam 500 meters before at one time so now I need to find a pool and get in some reps. I can handle the bike (14 miles) and run (2.2 miles) without blinking so as long as I survive the swim I should be good.

Any tips on swimming? I'm a newbie and just went and purchased some jammers and goggles along with a swim cap. I'm planning on taking a quick training course at the local pool to help with my breathing (this is something I really need to get down) and some tips on open water swimming. I really wish my first tri was in a pool....
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Dang it! I'm apparently doing a sprint tri at the end of August. I knew at some point I'd have to do one of these things but I was hoping it would come later rather than sooner. A buddy of mine that recently took up running/swimming just did one and now he's pushing me to do one with him since his training buddy is moving away this month. Looks like I'm the new training buddy, which is great but I can't say no to the invite to do one of these things.

I'm mostly worried about the swim. I've never swam 500 meters before at one time so now I need to find a pool and get in some reps. I can handle the bike (14 miles) and run (2.2 miles) without blinking so as long as I survive the swim I should be good.

Any tips on swimming? I'm a newbie and just went and purchased some jammers and goggles along with a swim cap. I'm planning on taking a quick training course at the local pool to help with my breathing (this is something I really need to get down) and some tips on open water swimming. I really wish my first tri was in a pool....
                          Which one are you doing? I may be doing the same one, and my ward is having training sessions....

Comment

Which one are you doing? I may be doing the same one, and my ward is having training sessions....
                            The one in Clear Lake on the 24th.

Comment

Dang it! I'm apparently doing a sprint tri at the end of August. I knew at some point I'd have to do one of these things but I was hoping it would come later rather than sooner. A buddy of mine that recently took up running/swimming just did one and now he's pushing me to do one with him since his training buddy is moving away this month. Looks like I'm the new training buddy, which is great but I can't say no to the invite to do one of these things.

That's great, Moliere! Good luck!

Comment

The one in Clear Lake on the 24th.
                                Then we're doing the same one. Something like 10-11 people from my ward are doing the sprint, and I'm doing the olympic. You and your friend should chill with us. We swim Wed, do a brick Thurs, and a long bike ride on Sat (same one you and I did - you'll be at the upper end of the skill level in this group). If you want to join up, feel free. If you just want to talk this specific tri, transitions, piggyback on our spectator group, etc., let me know.

And start swimming. Just focus on being able to do like 800m straight in a pool, and then practice sighting. You only have one turn on your course, which should help.

Comment

Working...
                                X